Norwich H Weds 6pm

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
augie

Re: Norwich H Weds 6pm

Post by augie »

Only seen first 30 mins on my ipad (was at my son's football training last night :roll: ) and havent seen rest of the match since, but ceballos and Tierney seemed to be the standout players. You have to wonder too if, given our players lack of backbone, how we would have reacted if that thunderbolt from godfrey had of flown into the net instead of hitting the post - it was some shot and martinez hadnt a prayer

A good win at the end of the day, and hopefully it builds confidence and is another boost in our hopes of keeping auba. I am still worried that arteta is continuing to freeze out guendouzi, but worried more that he is starting to change the system now after months in charge cos if there was a weakness in our old system, it shouldnt take months to recognise it

augie

Post by augie »

Perryashburtongroves wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:05 pm
If we'd not had to endure the complete fucking bollox which was the last three months of Emery's time, we'd have been in with a chance of 4th. Dropped points against Bournemouth, Southampton, Brighton, Norwich, Sheffield United and Watford are going to cost us.

Seriously ?? Arteta dropped points v brighton, burnley, sheffield utd, palace, bournemouth and everton, plus we were knocked out of europe by the superpower that is olympiakos (who hadnt won away in europe for ages :roll: ). Fine you want to blame everything that is wrong this season on emery, but check your facts before you look foolish in the future

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

augie wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:15 am
If we'd not had to endure the complete fucking bollox which was the last three months of Emery's time, we'd have been in with a chance of 4th. Dropped points against Bournemouth, Southampton, Brighton, Norwich, Sheffield United and Watford are going to cost us.

Seriously ?? Arteta dropped points v brighton, burnley, sheffield utd, palace, bournemouth and everton, plus we were knocked out of europe by the superpower that is olympiakos (who hadnt won away in europe for ages :roll: ). Fine you want to blame everything that is wrong this season on emery, but check your facts before you look foolish in the future
Fair enough but the morale of the club was at rock bottom in the Autumn meaning we had to start again almost on minus points because the performances and general atmosphere were so bad. I was thinking more along the lines of what might have happened if we had started the season in a more positive manner, without all the shit that went with the dying days of the Emery regime.

augie

Post by augie »

Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:33 am
augie wrote:

Fair enough but the morale of the club was at rock bottom in the Autumn meaning we had to start again almost on minus points because the performances and general atmosphere were so bad. I was thinking more along the lines of what might have happened if we had started the season in a more positive manner, without all the shit that went with the dying days of the Emery regime.

That's fair enough. Let me say though, that at this moment in time, arteta has clearly fallen out with guendouzi and ozil, had previously fallen out with maitland-niles, laca is sulking around the place, and martinelli was disgracefully frozen out of the first 2 games after resumption - this happy morale image (in my opinion) applies to players like xhaka, mustafi and luiz who are seen as the face of the squad (along with auba), rather than the whole squad.

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

augie wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:47 am
Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:33 am
augie wrote:

That's fair enough. Let me say though, that at this moment in time, arteta has clearly fallen out with guendouzi and ozil, had previously fallen out with maitland-niles, laca is sulking around the place, and martinelli was disgracefully frozen out of the first 2 games after resumption - this happy morale image (in my opinion) applies to players like xhaka, mustafi and luiz who are seen as the face of the squad (along with auba), rather than the whole squad.
Is he shaking up the squad, rooting out the ones who are lazy fuckers and don't put much effort in during the week or is he cutting off his nose to spite his face? I've got the impression that Guendozi has started all the 'big man' shit about the place and probably thinks he knows it all. Perhaps something has also happened during the lockdown that we don't know about, but either way, it seems that Arteta wants him out the squad and possibly out of the door as soon as possible. Ozil is just Ozil and has been the same for all the time he's been with us. He's not a player a new manager can warm to easily and Lacazette, fuck knows what's going on with him. I think he wants to go but knows now that his options are limited to probably a non-competitive team in Spain or back to France where it's a one team league. I can see the same situation we had with Ozil and Sanchez with him and Aubameyang, getting one out the door to keep the other one.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:11 pm
Just realised... we actually kept a Clean Feckin' sheet! :shock: - Thanks to some excellent Goalkeeping by Martinez! :barscarf:
He has made a couple of really top drawer low down saves that would have been sure - fire goals with old helmet head in goal.

The lad’s done well, needs to improve his distribution a lot and command his box more but it’s a big relief how well he’s done so far :barscarf:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

StuartL wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:15 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:
Just realised... we actually kept a Clean Feckin' sheet! :shock: - Thanks to some excellent Goalkeeping by Martinez! :barscarf:
He has made a couple of really top drawer low down saves that would have been sure - fire goals with old helmet head in goal.

The lad’s done well, needs to improve his distribution a lot and command his box more but it’s a big relief how well he’s done so far :barscarf:
I agree mate, when Leno got injured I thought Uh Ohh! ... But he has played extremely well.

augie

Post by augie »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:35 pm
StuartL wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:15 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:

I agree mate, when Leno got injured I thought Uh Ohh! ... But he has played extremely well.

Keeps playing like that and we might get decent transfer fee for him this summer cos he wont stay and be number 2 keeper again

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

According to The Times, Arteta's relationship with Guendouzi began badly & has barely improved since some coaches were unhappy with his attitude during training in Dubai in February. There were also issues during the discussions about players talking about a wage cut in April. https://t.co/GCHCIEzSYx

subtleasaheadbutt

Post by subtleasaheadbutt »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:49 am
According to The Times, Arteta's relationship with Guendouzi began badly & has barely improved since some coaches were unhappy with his attitude during training in Dubai in February. There were also issues during the discussions about players talking about a wage cut in April. https://t.co/GCHCIEzSYx
There were two players that refused the pay cut. one was named as ozil....when looking at the minutes played with ozil and Guendouzi it's not rocket science to work out the other