Your XI which sums up the worst of the club since 2008

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
nut flush gooner
Posts: 3197
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:23 am

Re: Your XI which sums up the worst of the club since 2008

Post by nut flush gooner »

g88ner wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:21 pm
Nobody has picked Ozil?

We’ve had many talented players and a shit load of average ones but never have we had such a talented player racking up £350k a week yet not give a shit if he’s picked or not.

His career has fallen off a cliff in recent years yet he appears to have zero desire to move clubs. Instead happy to pick up his salary and not play.

That contract sums up the self destructive insanity of Wenger and Gazidis.

Ozil would be my captain of this rogues gallery :roll:
He wouldn't make the side due to an ongoing back injury!

:D :D

User avatar
augie
Posts: 25935
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:03 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: Your XI which sums up the worst of the club since 2008

Post by augie »

I should clarify that when I considered the list of players available to me, I only considered those that were consistantly selected over a period of time - park, the postman, etc would indeed be worthy nominations, but I didnt feel that they had inflicted enough pain and suffering as those that were frequently on the team sheet

User avatar
goonersid
Posts: 7788
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:40 am
Location: DERRY CITY

Re: Your XI which sums up the worst of the club since 2008

Post by goonersid »

Flappy would make my 11 ahead of Almunia.
There are so many terrible defenders to choose from, but I’d bet if someone could do a check, Luiz and Mustavashite, have been solely responsible for costing us more points than any of the rest.
Full backs? Santos and struggling to pick a partner.
Midfield? Xhaka, Denilson, then so many of similar ilk.
Strikers (and I use the term reservedly)
Sanogoals, Chamakh, Clingon head and that spanish bloke the genius Emery was looking to buy, but had to take on loan take your pick.
If pushed on Giroud or Lacazette, I’d choose Lacazette, due to his poor finishing.

arrgee
Posts: 194
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:16 pm

Re: Your XI which sums up the worst of the club since 2008

Post by arrgee »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:22 am
who Zoolander and the Capuccino Kid are ?

French postman ?
Zoolander = Bellerin https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football ... tine-look/
Capuccino Kid = Walcott https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foo ... 67506.html

(OK figured Sanogoals is the postman)

User avatar
g88ner
Posts: 13943
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:17 pm

Re: Your XI which sums up the worst of the club since 2008

Post by g88ner »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:29 pm
g88ner wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:21 pm
Nobody has picked Ozil?

We’ve had many talented players and a shit load of average ones but never have we had such a talented player racking up £350k a week yet not give a shit if he’s picked or not.

His career has fallen off a cliff in recent years yet he appears to have zero desire to move clubs. Instead happy to pick up his salary and not play.

That contract sums up the self destructive insanity of Wenger and Gazidis.

Ozil would be my captain of this rogues gallery :roll:
He wouldn't make the side due to an ongoing back injury!

:D :D
Haha very true 😄

Retro Gunner
Posts: 950
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 3:37 pm
Location: Spitalfields

Re: Your XI which sums up the worst of the club since 2008

Post by Retro Gunner »

arrgee wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:34 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:22 am
who Zoolander and the Capuccino Kid are ?

French postman ?
Zoolander = Bellerin https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football ... tine-look/
Capuccino Kid = Walcott https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foo ... 67506.html

(OK figured Sanogoals is the postman)
Ah right, Walcott and Bellerin, thanks Arrgee.
I knew who the French postman was....can we ever forget ?!

Btw, just read that article about Bellerin. They’re taking the right piss out of him. :D

User avatar
northbank123
Posts: 12254
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:05 am
Location: Newcastle

Re: Your XI which sums up the worst of the club since 2008

Post by northbank123 »

g88ner Ozil would be an unused sub soaking up £350k per week and smirking, obviously

User avatar
GoonerMuzz
Posts: 4217
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:53 pm
Location: Defending is optional

Re: Your XI which sums up the worst of the club since 2008

Post by GoonerMuzz »

In keeping with the title, Lukas Podolski, played 60 times over 4 seasons and scored 19 goals but due to Wenger's obstinacy, one of Germany's most prolific left foot strikers was either shoved out on the wing or more usually on the bench, brought on far too often when it was too late to make a difference, reminds me a bit of the PEA situation these days where it is pure modern football snobbery that you cant play two strikers
Last edited by GoonerMuzz on Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
DB10GOONER
Posts: 48142
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:06 pm
Location: Dublin, Ireland.
Contact:

Re: Your XI which sums up the worst of the club since 2008

Post by DB10GOONER »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:37 pm
In keeping with the title, Lukas Podolski, played 60 times over 4 seasons and scored 19 goals but due to Wenger's obstinacy, one of Germany's most prolific left foot strikers was either shoved out on the wing or more usually on the bench, brought on far too often when it was too late to make a difference, reminds me a bit of the PEA situation these days and it is pure modern football snobbery that you cant play two strikers
Agreed 100%. Podolski was one of the best most clinical finishers I've ever seen. But it was Wenger's snobbery that stopped him going old school 4-4-2 and playing Pod off Giroud. Given a proper run together they'd have scored shedloads. But no, Arsene wanted to play tippy tappy 3-6-1 formations.... :roll:

User avatar
StuartL
Posts: 6511
Joined: Sat May 17, 2008 8:22 pm
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day and I’m feeling good

Re: Your XI which sums up the worst of the club since 2008

Post by StuartL »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:34 pm
GoonerMuzz wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:37 pm
In keeping with the title, Lukas Podolski, played 60 times over 4 seasons and scored 19 goals but due to Wenger's obstinacy, one of Germany's most prolific left foot strikers was either shoved out on the wing or more usually on the bench, brought on far too often when it was too late to make a difference, reminds me a bit of the PEA situation these days and it is pure modern football snobbery that you cant play two strikers
Agreed 100%. Podolski was one of the best most clinical finishers I've ever seen. But it was Wenger's snobbery that stopped him going old school 4-4-2 and playing Pod off Giroud. Given a proper run together they'd have scored shedloads. But no, Arsene wanted to play tippy tappy 3-6-1 formations.... :roll:
I’m fairly sure that Podolski, scored a hat trick and still got dropped for the next game - saved Wenkers bacon as a sub in the champions league too I recall. :rubchin: :rubchin: :rubchin:

Retro Gunner
Posts: 950
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 3:37 pm
Location: Spitalfields

Re: Your XI which sums up the worst of the club since 2008

Post by Retro Gunner »

StuartL wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:40 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:34 pm
GoonerMuzz wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:37 pm
In keeping with the title, Lukas Podolski, played 60 times over 4 seasons and scored 19 goals but due to Wenger's obstinacy, one of Germany's most prolific left foot strikers was either shoved out on the wing or more usually on the bench, brought on far too often when it was too late to make a difference, reminds me a bit of the PEA situation these days and it is pure modern football snobbery that you cant play two strikers
Agreed 100%. Podolski was one of the best most clinical finishers I've ever seen. But it was Wenger's snobbery that stopped him going old school 4-4-2 and playing Pod off Giroud. Given a proper run together they'd have scored shedloads. But no, Arsene wanted to play tippy tappy 3-6-1 formations.... :roll:
I’m fairly sure that Podolski, scored a hat trick and still got dropped for the next game - saved Wenkers bacon as a sub in the champions league too I recall. :rubchin: :rubchin: :rubchin:


You know Stuart, I seem to remember rumours that Podolski questioned Wenger's training methods, which were probably primary school level. This was a German international, who'd played and trained with the best and it's very possible that he made his feelings very clear.

You know Wenger....question the great man and you were frozen out. I've a horrible, nagging feeling that Arteta might be cut from similar cloth.

User avatar
GoonerMuzz
Posts: 4217
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:53 pm
Location: Defending is optional

Re: Your XI which sums up the worst of the club since 2008

Post by GoonerMuzz »

How about Tomas Rosicky, Jack Wilshire, Abou Diaby, Aaron Ramsey etc etc oh and especially Kim Kalstrom as examples of not only our medical teams incompetence in dealing with injuries during the period but also not being able to spot them in the first place, i know this thread was probably aiming more at the team but fuck me our medical team was utterly woeful for a considerable period of time :roll:

Post Reply