Your XI which sums up the worst of the club since 2008

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
northbank123

Your XI which sums up the worst of the club since 2008

Post by northbank123 »

I was pondering whether Xhaka summed up the absolute acceptance of mediocrity more or less than having Giroud as our unchallenged lone striker for around 4 seasons.

That got me to wondering what an Arsenal XI which sums up the worst parts of the club since 2008 would look like. Not necessarily the outright worst players, but those who sum up everything that is wrong with the club - so extra marks for those who have somehow racked up hundreds of appearances.

Almunia

Eboue
Gallas
Mustafi
Clichy

Bendtner
Denilson
Xhaka (c)
Song
Gervinho

Giroud

goonertux

Re: Your XI which sums up the worst of the club since 2008

Post by goonertux »

Think Clichy and Gallas is harsh. Swap for Collosusnatch and Luiz and the rest I agree with. But we could probably make three elevens! Sad times with more to come.

augie

Post by augie »

If I'm picking the team I would go for a more old fashioned 4-4-2 with following line up

below average al

fat bosnian c.unt kolasniac
mustafalaffi
sulking prix gallas
xhaka

wally walcott
song
lard arse iwobi
klingon gervinho

the worlds best danish footballer
the only striker in history to be first choice for his world cup winning team and still not have a shot on target in the whole month (giroud)

I know that I have moved xhaka back into defence but I had to make room for wally and lard arse and it's not as if playing him out of position could make him any worse than he already is :roll:

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Clichy is a bit harsh but I thought that the bloke reeked mediocrity. On reflection I would plump (pun intended) for Andre Santos. A brief stint but Christ I have never seen somebody doing a worse job of masquerading as a professional athlete.

Gallas was a nasty piece of work and an arrogant *word censored*, and summed up our demise nicely as it’s fair to say we got the raw end of that swap deal. Also dishing out long term contracts to him after the way that we treated Pires and Bergkamp once they hit 30 was unpalatable.

Walcott just about escapes it for me as he did have a knack of scoring in big games frequently despite being hugely frustrating most of the time. Much like Ramsey.

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

None of you have included Santos ..he would be first name on my list.

arrgee

Post by arrgee »

northbank123 wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:02 pm
I was pondering whether Xhaka summed up the absolute acceptance of mediocrity more or less than having Giroud as our unchallenged lone striker for around 4 seasons.
433 formation

Almunia
Zoolander - sideshow Bob - mustafgotlucky - Gibbs
Xhaka - Smokin’ Jack - Micky Targaryan
Lefty Pépé- Lackofgoals - The Cappuccino kid

Oh he’s Ill should be there as well, but to be fair he has some good games albeit some time ago
Last edited by arrgee on Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Bradywasking wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:31 pm
And the postman ,

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

Bradywasking wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:31 pm
its 7 years since santos played for us. 7 years! it seems so much more recent to me, but i suppose the cycle of mediocrity we've bene in just makes the season blur into one these days.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Much as this bunch of fuckwits are almost all worthy of a place in that particular team, step forward Mikael Silvestre as the captain of this particular sorry bunch. Think that signing came three years after Wenger's lobotomy but probably surpassed all others. Him and Squillachi together at centre half make the current fuckwits look like Adams and Keown

He didn't make hundreds of appearances but in terms of where it was so wrong was that it confirmed we were more than happy to take the cast offs of other big clubs (which has since paved the way for grade A *word censored* like Cech and Luiz) whilst watching the likes of Van Persie go the other way

Only about 4 years after we moved to compete with Europe's elite allegedly

Leyton Gooner
Location: Lokomotiv Plovdiv in the Channel 5 Thursday night cup

Post by Leyton Gooner »

Fuck me what a question. Where do you start?

I'll go

Helmet Head
Chambers
Squillaci
Mustafalaugh
Santos
Wally
Song
Kallstrom
Forehead
Bendtner
French postie

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Leyton Gooner wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:52 pm

I'll go

Flappy
Chambers
Squillaci
Mustafalaugh
Santos
Wally
Song
Kallstrom
Forehead
Bendtner
French postie
And if the postie was "leetle bit jaded" after his deliveries, then "super quality" Park could always come off the bench to do his best Alli Dia impression

That window where we signed Park and Santos was the stuff of legend, with Shit for Brains doing a mad trolley dash after getting stuffed 8-2 but insisting he was only interested in "top, top, super quality"

He stayed as manager for 7 more years!

Leyton Gooner
Location: Lokomotiv Plovdiv in the Channel 5 Thursday night cup

Post by Leyton Gooner »

Leyton Gooner wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:52 pm

I'll go

Helmet Head
Chambers
Squillaci
Mustafalaugh
Santos
Wally
Song
Kallstrom
Forehead
Bendtner
French postie
Must have changed this about a dozen times now but the big German vagina has to be in there, but which of the other two *word censored* at centre half do I leave out?

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

This is a brilliant thread from NB123. Some cracking posts on here and I’ve been pissing myself laughing, but it would be just as fucking easy to cry !! It’s almost an endless list of dross. 🙁

Funny how you realise you’ve forgotten some of them, until you see their names. Btw, I couldn’t work out who Zoolander and the Capuccino Kid are ?

All in all, you could pick any eleven names out of that lot, they’re all so poor. However, for me, Xhaka (obviously) is a definite, as is the French postman (I don’t think anything sums up Wenger’s final 12 years more than signing a bloke that would struggle badly in the semi pro game) and probably Ramsey, who sums up that period in a different way. A better footballer than most of those others, but still bang average at best, yet talked about as those he was world class :roll: One of Wenger’s “good little boys” who was the first name on the sheet regardless of form.

As someone said, we scream about the buffoons currently at centre half, but thinking back to Silvestre, Squillaci, etc, fuck me it was as bad back then. I don’t think enough people realise how Koscielny carried that whole back line for years. He often got stick too, but was usually doing his job, the other CB’s job and at least one absent full backs job, all at the same time.

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

When picking my team I realised that I didn't have a natural right back , but then realised that in true late Arsene style I didn't need one..Just go out on the pitch lads and take it from there.

Cech gets the nod in goal, JT said he was worth 15 points a season..We would have liked if the 15 points were for Arsenal and not their opponents.
Cech.
Luiz
Mustafi
Squillaci
Santos
Frimpong
Xhaka
Song
Park
Zanogo
Gervinho.

John F

Post by John F »

Cech ,Eboue,Luiz,Squillaci,Silvestre,Xhaka,Dennilson,Bischoff,Cone head,Lord Bendtner,Postman.