Citeh (still the record points scorers in the league) N Fa Cup Semi Sat 18th KO 745pm

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Kingralph

Re: Citeh (still the record points scorers in the league) N Fa Cup Semi Sat 18th KO 745pm

Post by Kingralph »

I’ve not missed going to an Arsenal Cup Final in the past 30 years and not about to start now. Do you know if there are any tickets or ways to get in to the stadium for the Final???

Redarmy

Re: Citeh (still the record points scorers in the league) N Fa Cup Semi Sat 18th KO 745pm

Post by Redarmy »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:14 pm
Well fuck my old boots - just when I thought we would never see the like again, along comes a performance to rival anything over the past decade. If David Luiz produces anything close to that again in an Arsenal shirt, I will more than likely wake up from the dream

If that performance didn't highlight the need to virtually pay Auba what he wants to stay then I dont know what will. The man is an absolute natural - to fluff a chance like he did, but then score one twice as hard a couple of minutes later is the hallmark of an absolutely top drawer player who always backs himself. One would have to ask who on earth we could attract who would be half as good?

Roll on the final - we always beat the Chavs and Man Ure in FA Cup finals so I couldn't give a shit who we play!

:barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:
Agreed with Auba upfront you always have a chance, the guy is quality

BFG4

Post by BFG4 »

Still buzzing from last night. One of the hallmarks of the Wenger era was seeing the opposition's strengths and doing fuck all to counter act them. Nice to see a manager have the sense to just dig in and win ugly, if needed. The team as a whole deserves credit but Aubameyang is the stand out star and we should be throwing any amount at him to get him to stay.
On a sidenote, I'm all for taking precautions around Covid but it's ridiculous that zero fans could attend the game yesterday. Even 30,000 properly spread out could be managed with social distancing.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

rodders999 wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:10 pm
Nah the FA cup runners up get fook all
The FA changed that after the 2004 cup final when Millwall lost to manure and qualified for Europe. Couldn't take that risk again could they, a championship team representing England in Europe. They FA were fucked over by Wigan, when they had the audacity to win the cup and get demoted in the same season in 2013.

Leyton Gooner
Location: Lokomotiv Plovdiv in the Channel 5 Thursday night cup

Post by Leyton Gooner »

BFG4 wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:06 pm
Still buzzing from last night. One of the hallmarks of the Wenger era was seeing the opposition's strengths and doing fuck all to counter act them. Nice to see a manager have the sense to just dig in and win ugly, if needed. The team as a whole deserves credit but Aubameyang is the stand out star and we should be throwing any amount at him to get him to stay.
On a sidenote, I'm all for taking precautions around Covid but it's ridiculous that zero fans could attend the game yesterday. Even 30,000 properly spread out could be managed with social distancing.
Absolutely, you can go to a beach, pub, cinema and even get the tube to work now but watching live sport in a big ground where it's easy to social distance is still too dangerous

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Brilliant, we've beaten the top two teams in England. Impressive stuff from Arteta's men. In his 25 games we've beaten Man Utd, Man City and Liverpool, whilst somehow losing against Brighton and Spurs. Like to meet Chelski in the final as this current squad will have the opportunity to avenge the catastrophe of that night in Baku.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

augie wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:41 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:19 pm
augie wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:07 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:50 pm
augie wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:47 pm

Still not for me - team selection was shit again, but the dogged attitude of the players, allied to a lazy arrogance from citeeh players, got us through a game where we should not have had a hope
I honestly think you are incapable of admitting when you are wrong Augie.

I'm wrong based on what ? One game ? Mustafi is now the modern day baresi is he ? Xhaka is the new PV4, and pires and freddie were nowhere near as good as pepe is :roll:

We turned in an excellent gutsy performance, exactly the type of performance that I love, and we absolutely deserved the win - dont mistake that as a vindication of arteta though
So who chose the team?

Who decided on the tactics?

Who Won?

You don't think Arteta is the right manager for AFC a you keep reminding us all, tonight he played the perfect game with the limited choice that he has at his disposal, THAT alone tells you he has the ability to manage a lesser talented team to beat a more talented and well drilled team, tonight is "Another" example of his abilities as Manager...he will improve as we shall as a team - Yes, there will be bumps in the road, but I have confidence in him as a manager, just because you don't is fine - BUT you couldn't wait to come on and dis him.

It's really very egocentric and just shows that no matter what he does or how well we do you will not allow your pre-determined, entrenched and judgmental opinion to waver one iota.

It's just sad.

Limited options yes, but better options than mustafi and xhaka ?? Abso-fcuking-lutely, and one outstanding win does not change that for most fans. The beauty of the cup is that form or quality often goes out the window - does the fact that mustafi did well against sterling tonight mean that he is better than the diving cheat ? Do you think xhaka will do as well against de bryune and silva in the future ? Why then does tonights win make arteta a good manager ?

You are a hypocrite - I have seen the comments you have made on players and managers on here in the past (as is your right), but like most condescending dicks, you express moral outrage when someone expresses it against someone you like :roll:
If you can't see why? Then you really are as blind as the majority of your posts appear to be.

I judge players by how they perform - and the manager - We all know that players like Luiz, Xhaka, Kolasinac and Mustafi have Accidents waiting to happen (Sadly) even in this game against city - that we Need better players...But When they play as well as they all did tonight they desrve to be applauded.

Arteta picked the right team and chose the right tactics or are you saying he didn't? If not then oh! do give us your pearls of wisdom.

I have criticised Arteta when I believe he has erred, as all humans do and been concerned at some of his decisions / team selections yes. But, he has been gradually 'changing' the way we play and the players attitudes for the better, also what I do know is he knows more about football then me and Most Certainly about you.

Your posts are always full of Negativity - as soon as anyone disagrees you start your little tantrums and name calling.

Tell me who then would you have as manager ? And please be realistic?

Leyton Gooner
Location: Lokomotiv Plovdiv in the Channel 5 Thursday night cup

Post by Leyton Gooner »

Just want to echo the thoughts on Tierney. Looks a player and how refreshing to see a normal down to earth bloke playing for the club

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Tierney on Arteta: "I’m learning every single day under the manager & I’m loving every single minute of it. He’s helped me so much since he’s come in. I was injured when he [came] in & he was still speaking to me, still wanting to make me better. I cant thank him enough" #Arsenal https://t.co/wzCzl3snnp

Players seem to like him :D

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

The other positive from yesterday is that Kolasinac played only the last few minutes, and I fucking hope to God that Arteta has now finally given up on the useless lump of shit.

Whilst we are hardly blessed with great defenders that lump of lard is undoubtedly the worst of the fucking lot. Would be delighted to see him fucked off this Summer

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Bradywasking wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:26 am
Brilliant performance, when Luiz and Xhaka are outstanding against a total footballing side like City you know it is your day . The second half horror of the NLD is consigned to history but more importantly looks like it has been learned from. Started slowly but in that first ten to fifteen minutes Xhaka had possibly his best cameo in an Arsenal shirt. His positional sense was uncanny and rather than pointing at space he was filling it When Aubameyang missed the first, and easier , chance Ithought our hopes had gone too Shouldn't base a game on one moment early on in the game but at that point I felt we won't get another chance and will regret this miss. Defence gave us kittens with their short play but in reality they were confident doing it even if I wasn't
Second half we conceded a bit to much ground, Aubameyang has two chances early in the second half to play killer passes but didn't make them. City did miss chances, particularly Sterling, enough to suggest the impossible was possible Second goal was brilliant, Pepe and Tierney to Aubameyang, who I thought had delayed a fraction to long but he knew better.
Excellent performance, got a bit of luck, but you need that to hold City scoreless More importantly it was a performance of guts and courage and desire.Things we haven't always seen in an Arsenal team. The set up was impressive, like Liverpool on Wednesday we allowed them the ball but didn't allow them to move us out of our shape. Top marks to Arteta, Maitland Niles seemed a gamble but based on playing against a winger who cuts inside it was a great decision
It felt like watching Arsenal last night.

Very good summary from BWK.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

I expected a loss by at least 3 and watching the first 10 minutes I had no reason to doubt that. The way they then dug in and played with great discipline and organisation, was like watching a George Graham team. We also looked effective going forward and should have gone in at half time at least 2 up. I did fear that we’d regret the very good opportunities that we missed in that first half.

I’ve become very hard bitten about the Arsenal, so certainly won’t be getting carried away by one performance, but taking yesterday at face value, it was a heroic display. Luiz was immense, Ceballos impressive again, Tierney honest, hardworking and can play a bit too. We’ve been too long without a player in his mould. Martinez has been an absolute revelation and although I’ve always liked Leno, Emilio must keep his place even when Leno is fit. I can’t remember when we last had two decent keepers.

I fully understand the frustration with Luiz on here and I’ve shared it, but I would always have him in the team. I know that he’s prone to those almost complacent howlers and I suppose he’s too long in the tooth to get that out of his game, but when he’s fully focused, he’s a powerful and determined opponent, with bundles of experience. He was a colossus yesterday.

I’ve always been a fan of Lacazette and while he may not be the most prolific of strikers, his link up play and closing down of the opposition is very good. In my opinion, he needs to play alongside another striker and we are at our best with both him and Auba on the pitch. It’s imperative that we keep Auba because you can’t buy the goals he brings. I’d probably play Saka in front of Pepe and play Martinelli when fit, in front of both of them.

I thought Arteta spoke very well afterwards (as did Luiz), making it clear that we are way off of the top teams, but that attitude, discipline and application are the building blocks. I’d rather not become the PL’s version of Athletico, grinding out results due to obdurate resilience. I’ll take that for now, but my ideal is for a classical football team that competes as an attacking force. Liverpool have made that progression and top marks to Klopp for that.
I’m reserving judgement on Arteta, because I didn’t think it was a job for a novice manager, but I don’t doubt his commitment. His selections are suspect and his substitutions are baffling. Once again, he brought on the ineffective Willock, this time for Pepe who had just been involved in the 2nd goal. He followed this up by taking off Alba, which once again (as against Leicester and Liverpool), meant that we were consistently under the cosh with no out ball. It’s not a good tactic.

A disciplined, organised and defiant performance, the type of which we haven’t seen for years, but we must keep some perspective. Enjoy a great result for sure, but it’s one game. We got the result against the scousers, but it was a dire performance, which if replayed in the same way would likely see a 1-5 defeat. Absolutely no corners have been turned yet. What we saw yesterday has to be the standard we expect week in, week out, in terms of attitude and effort. Beyond that, it’s all down to Stan putting his hand in his pocket, because we need to add serious quality to the attitude and commitment. That is how Liverpool have made such progress. Sadly, Stan won’t do that.

Anyway....here’s to the final and Up The Gunners.

augie

Post by augie »

BFG4 wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:06 pm

I'm guessing that transport to and from the game will be as big, if not bigger, factor than in the stadium itself - how to you handle even 15,000 looking to use public transport after the game ?

augie

Post by augie »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:49 pm
augie wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:
augie wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:50 pm

I honestly think you are incapable of admitting when you are wrong Augie.

I'm wrong based on what ? One game ? Mustafi is now the modern day baresi is he ? Xhaka is the new PV4, and pires and freddie were nowhere near as good as pepe is :roll:

We turned in an excellent gutsy performance, exactly the type of performance that I love, and we absolutely deserved the win - dont mistake that as a vindication of arteta though
So who chose the team?

Who Won?

You don't think Arteta is the right manager for AFC a you keep reminding us all, tonight he played the perfect game with the limited choice that he has at his disposal, THAT alone tells you he has the ability to manage a lesser talented team to beat a more talented and well drilled team, tonight is "Another" example of his abilities as Manager...he will improve as we shall as a team - Yes, there will be bumps in the road, but I have confidence in him as a manager, just because you don't is fine - BUT you couldn't wait to come on and dis him.

It's really very egocentric and just shows that no matter what he does or how well we do you will not allow your pre-determined, entrenched and judgmental opinion to waver one iota.

It's just sad.

Limited options yes, but better options than mustafi and xhaka ?? Abso-fcuking-lutely, and one outstanding win does not change that for most fans. The beauty of the cup is that form or quality often goes out the window - does the fact that mustafi did well against sterling tonight mean that he is better than the diving cheat ? Do you think xhaka will do as well against de bryune and silva in the future ? Why then does tonights win make arteta a good manager ?

You are a hypocrite - I have seen the comments you have made on players and managers on here in the past (as is your right), but like most condescending dicks, you express moral outrage when someone expresses it against someone you like :roll:
If you can't see why? Then you really are as blind as the majority of your posts appear to be.

I judge players by how they perform - and the manager - We all know that players like Luiz, Xhaka, Kolasinac and Mustafi have Accidents waiting to happen (Sadly) even in this game against city - that we Need better players...But When they play as well as they all did tonight they desrve to be applauded.

Arteta picked the right team and chose the right tactics or are you saying he didn't? If not then oh! do give us your pearls of wisdom.

I have criticised Arteta when I believe he has erred, as all humans do and been concerned at some of his decisions / team selections yes. But, he has been gradually 'changing' the way we play and the players attitudes for the better, also what I do know is he knows more about football then me and Most Certainly about you.

Your posts are always full of Negativity - as soon as anyone disagrees you start your little tantrums and name calling.

My good man, one win (albeit an excellent win) does not make either a manager or a player good enough - if you think judging arteta on one or two games is correct, then I dunno what to say to you. We have had more shit performances this season than good one's (and I am including both managers in that), but they get ignored on the back of 1 good week :roll:

As regards applauding the team on last nights performance, please refer back to page of this thread where I said exactly that, and I stated that I loved winning games ugly like that

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

augie wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:20 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:49 pm
augie wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:
augie wrote:

So who chose the team?

Who Won?

It's just sad.

My good man, one win (albeit an excellent win) does not make either a manager or a player good enough - if you think judging arteta on one or two games is correct, then I dunno what to say to you. We have had more shit performances this season than good one's (and I am including both managers in that), but they get ignored on the back of 1 good week :roll:

As regards applauding the team on last nights performance, please refer back to page of this thread where I said exactly that, and I stated that I loved winning games ugly like that
Yet again you read and interpret whatever anyone says to fit your own agenda.

What is a clear as day is that even after our best game of the season - you still can't wait to come on here and spout what amounts to 'poison'.