Chavski *word censored* Fa cup final Sat 1st Aug KO 1730

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
bergkamp10

Re: Chavski *word censored* Fa cup final Sat 1st Aug KO 1730

Post by bergkamp10 »

rodders999 wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:53 pm
I remember as a kid I used always buy Shoot or Match (maybe both) every single year when the Cup final special was released even though it was never Arsenal in the final. :cry:

Then the 6 hours coverage on the BBC the day of the final, the players seen taking a stroll around the hotel grounds right after their breakfast, chatting nervously amongst themselves, a few laughing and joking to ease the tension. The excitement building as the buses arrived at the stadium, the twin towers and Wembley way pictured from above.

The commentary team out on the Wembley turf, normally in the goal mouth where someone would make themselves a hero later that afternoon, discussing the game with the vast empty stands in the background.

Then the fans would start to arrive and the stadium began to heave, the players from both teams would be out on the pitch in their suits breathing in the atmosphere. The tension would rise, back to the studio inside the stadium for the final discussion before kick off.

Both teams came out of the tunnel in their tracksuits, led by their managers. Line up, meet and greet, Abide With Me, tensions at an absolute fever pitch and then KICK OFF.

Fucking hell I was so excited for those games, dreaming of the day Arsenal would finally be there. My first Arsenal cup final was ‘93. My dad brought me to the pub for it, nervously drinking glasses of coke and when Wrighty put us 1 nil up I started to dream that finally I would get to see us lift the trophy, see the players walk up those famous steps one by one, red and white scarves wrapped around their heads or over their shoulders and we’d lift the trophy. My time had finally come.

Then David Hirst equalised and I cried my eyes out at the cruelty of it all, my dreams were shattered and I was brought home thinking that was it, I’d never get to see us win the cup.

Then the replay the Thursday night, the tension so high I could barely watch, Wrighty again you absolute fucking legend, surely this time we’d do it, then another equaliser. FUCK. Extra time, this is all to much for a young kid, a penalty shoot out on the horizon, what the fuck is a penalty shoot out???

A corner at the death.....ANDY LINEGHAN HAS WON THE CUP FOR ARSENAL.

What a fucking header, a bullet, unstoppable, and Chris Woods was a brilliant keeper. The feeling of sheer elation when the ball hit the net Just cannot be put in to words. We walk up the steps and Tony lifts the trophy and I’m crying again. This is what I’ve waited my whole life to see. We’ve done it and even though it’s really late I’m outside replicating the goal over and over and over again. What a night, one of THE great nights.

When I kicked a ball in my back garden as a kid the goals I would score would never be league winning goals, nope, the commentator in my mind would be describing the cup final and I would always score the winner for Arsenal right at the death. He’s done it, and the crowd would go wild.

Andy Lineghan got to live my dream and the dreams of countless other boys my age that night.

The cup has been devalued from them days no doubt for a whole host of reasons and fuck knows what it will be like for future generations, but for people like me who grew up with it being the biggest game of the season and one of the very few live on tv it will always be magical.

And even now when I’m kicking a peppa pig ball around the garden with my kids and I turn and fire in a goal it’s still a last gasp winner in the cup final for Arsenal that I score.

So next Saturday’s match is so much more than 90 minutes of football for me, it’s a lifetime worth of dreams and if we get to lift the trophy once more there’s a good chance I’ll be crying again.

THE ARSENAL.
Rodders 999, absolutely brilliant post mate! I'm now the wrong side of 50 :x !1 But I just spent the last two days visiting my father (now 85!) talking about the three back to back Cup Finals and what we did to make sure we were there on the day and the shire fun we had leading up to the day and the whole experience of Cup Final day.

When my Father and I were at the 1980 Final my Mum and her friend were caught for speeding on the North Circular at 15:35 leaving Brent Cross Shopping Centre because of course there was no other bugger was out on the road at that time of day on Cup Final day.................................

I remember crying for ages after Alan Sunderland scored in the 3-2 that day and how damn hot it was on the tube home ............................. Happy Days! :D

I showed your post to my Dad and it brought back some back memorises for him in a troubled year for him personally.

Well played and I hope we bring home another Cup on Saturday..

:barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

bergkamp10

Post by bergkamp10 »

StuartL wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:26 pm
Have been luckily enough to have been there and seen us lift the cup 6 times - 93, 98, 02, 03, 14, 15.

Missed 05 due to my daughter being selected to represent Suffolk at tennis and missed 17 as was visiting my dad not long after he came out of hospital ( had tickets available on both occasions)

Only been there to suffer defeat once, v Scousers in 01, where bizarrely we played as well as you could ask for without putting them to bed :banghead: :banghead:

We are so fortunate to have witnessed these matches even during this period of instability (shitness)

Saturdays match means that Arsenal v Chelsea equals the most played cup final, alongside Arsenal v Newcastle, Arsenal v Liverpool, and West Brom v Villa !

No club has won 3 times against the same opponents ( so far) let’s make another FA Cup record :barscarf: :barscarf:

Come on you Gunners :barscarf: :barscarf:
Nice post Stu. It's been a Cup Final week of nostalgia in our household for sure!!

One more lifting of the trophy for the Gooners would be great! :barscarf: :barscarf:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

bergkamp10 wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:49 pm
rodders999 wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:53 pm
I remember as a kid I used always buy Shoot or Match (maybe both) every single year when the Cup final special was released even though it was never Arsenal in the final. :cry:

Then the 6 hours coverage on the BBC the day of the final, the players seen taking a stroll around the hotel grounds right after their breakfast, chatting nervously amongst themselves, a few laughing and joking to ease the tension. The excitement building as the buses arrived at the stadium, the twin towers and Wembley way pictured from above.

The commentary team out on the Wembley turf, normally in the goal mouth where someone would make themselves a hero later that afternoon, discussing the game with the vast empty stands in the background.

Then the fans would start to arrive and the stadium began to heave, the players from both teams would be out on the pitch in their suits breathing in the atmosphere. The tension would rise, back to the studio inside the stadium for the final discussion before kick off.

Both teams came out of the tunnel in their tracksuits, led by their managers. Line up, meet and greet, Abide With Me, tensions at an absolute fever pitch and then KICK OFF.

Fucking hell I was so excited for those games, dreaming of the day Arsenal would finally be there. My first Arsenal cup final was ‘93. My dad brought me to the pub for it, nervously drinking glasses of coke and when Wrighty put us 1 nil up I started to dream that finally I would get to see us lift the trophy, see the players walk up those famous steps one by one, red and white scarves wrapped around their heads or over their shoulders and we’d lift the trophy. My time had finally come.

Then David Hirst equalised and I cried my eyes out at the cruelty of it all, my dreams were shattered and I was brought home thinking that was it, I’d never get to see us win the cup.

Then the replay the Thursday night, the tension so high I could barely watch, Wrighty again you absolute fucking legend, surely this time we’d do it, then another equaliser. FUCK. Extra time, this is all to much for a young kid, a penalty shoot out on the horizon, what the fuck is a penalty shoot out???

A corner at the death.....ANDY LINEGHAN HAS WON THE CUP FOR ARSENAL.

What a fucking header, a bullet, unstoppable, and Chris Woods was a brilliant keeper. The feeling of sheer elation when the ball hit the net Just cannot be put in to words. We walk up the steps and Tony lifts the trophy and I’m crying again. This is what I’ve waited my whole life to see. We’ve done it and even though it’s really late I’m outside replicating the goal over and over and over again. What a night, one of THE great nights.

When I kicked a ball in my back garden as a kid the goals I would score would never be league winning goals, nope, the commentator in my mind would be describing the cup final and I would always score the winner for Arsenal right at the death. He’s done it, and the crowd would go wild.

Andy Lineghan got to live my dream and the dreams of countless other boys my age that night.

The cup has been devalued from them days no doubt for a whole host of reasons and fuck knows what it will be like for future generations, but for people like me who grew up with it being the biggest game of the season and one of the very few live on tv it will always be magical.

And even now when I’m kicking a peppa pig ball around the garden with my kids and I turn and fire in a goal it’s still a last gasp winner in the cup final for Arsenal that I score.

So next Saturday’s match is so much more than 90 minutes of football for me, it’s a lifetime worth of dreams and if we get to lift the trophy once more there’s a good chance I’ll be crying again.

THE ARSENAL.
Rodders 999, absolutely brilliant post mate! I'm now the wrong side of 50 :x !1 But I just spent the last two days visiting my father (now 85!) talking about the three back to back Cup Finals and what we did to make sure we were there on the day and the shire fun we had leading up to the day and the whole experience of Cup Final day.

When my Father and I were at the 1980 Final my Mum and her friend were caught for speeding on the North Circular at 15:35 leaving Brent Cross Shopping Centre because of course there was no other bugger was out on the road at that time of day on Cup Final day.................................

I remember crying for ages after Alan Sunderland scored in the 3-2 that day and how damn hot it was on the tube home ............................. Happy Days! :D

I showed your post to my Dad and it brought back some back memorises for him in a troubled year for him personally.

Well played and I hope we bring home another Cup on Saturday..

:barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:
Great post. I hope we win it for your dad mate. 8)

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

I echo that sentiment, that’s what it’s all about - The Arsenal Family. Hope it’s a great day for us Saturday.

Oh by the way, that day you and your dad were at the West Ham final and your mam got caught speeding......that was the day I came in to the world!

Born the day the we lost a cup final to a Trevor fucking Brooking header, all down hill for me from there :lol:

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

rodders999 wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:42 pm
I echo that sentiment, that’s what it’s all about - The Arsenal Family. Hope it’s a great day for us Saturday.

Oh by the way, that day you and your dad were at the West Ham final and your mam got caught speeding......that was the day I came in to the world!

Born the day the we lost a cup final to a Trevor fucking Brooking header, all down hill for me from there :lol:
Then four days after you were born Arsenal lost an ECWC Final on penalties to Valencia in Brussels. (* everyone got home safely from Brussels) .
You really were set up for a life of pain following The Arsenal Rodders.

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Tomorrow Arsenal and Chelsea will wear shirts with their Crest, their sponsor, their sleeve sponsor and badges for NHS, BLM and Heads Up Charity , along with presumably some text on the shirts to say FA Cup Final 2020 or some such thing.
They will look like Rugby League teams.

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Bradywasking wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:45 am
rodders999 wrote:

Then four days after you were born Arsenal lost an ECWC Final on penalties to Valencia in Brussels. (* everyone got home safely from Brussels) .
And then your name sake fucked off to Juventus which I know is still traumatic to older gooners to this day. Was my birth the catalyst for two cup final defeats in a week and our best player departing?

Small price to pay if you ask me :wink:

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Bradywasking wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:49 am
Tomorrow Arsenal and Chelsea will wear shirts with their Crest, their sponsor, their sleeve sponsor and badges for NHS, BLM and Heads Up Charity , along with presumably some text on the shirts to say FA Cup Final 2020 or some such thing.
They’ve banged 3 of the logos around the back under the player’s name and number.

Not a massive fan of that font they’re using for the players name either.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Interesting reading everyone's different memories of finals gone past. I was six when we beat United in 79, and that was my first happy memory of being a young Gooner. My dear old Grandad who has long since passed sat watching it with us wearing a rosette! Then the next day I remember him taking us down the newsagent and buying just about every newspaper we could lay our hands on. The cup really mattered then and I think if you grew up with that it's hard to accept the snobbery that exists around it these days

The most painful final memory was those murdering scumbags robbing us in Cardiff in 2001. If VAR existed back then Henchoz would have walked, and we would have gone on to win by four or more. Felt like the end for some of the members of our great backline that day when Owen skinned them for pace - was lovely to rebound and beat the Chavs a year later

Watched the Road to Wembley programme last night. Properly in the mood for this now!

Feel like we owe these c.unts one. They are bang average and last year rinsed us because of one special player. Would be nice to wipe that cocky smirk off that French lamppost cock too

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

rodders999 wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:14 am
Bradywasking wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:45 am
rodders999 wrote:

And then your name sake fucked off to Juventus which I know is still traumatic to older gooners to this day. Was my birth the catalyst for two cup final defeats in a week and our best player departing?

Small price to pay if you ask me :wink:
On the plus side we did sign Clive Allen shortly afterwards. :barscarf:

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

It's inevitable that giroud will score so be ready for it
Last edited by IW8Goalmachine on Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:43 am
Would be nice to wipe that cocky smirk off that French lamppost cock too
My biggest worry for tomorrow is that he’ll do us, I really couldn’t stomach that.

He gave it the big ‘un on the plane home from Baku last year the classless fucking c.unt. I don’t remember him being quite as fucking smug when we needed him most and he went 16 games without a goal they year Leicester won the league.

Fucking dickhead, hope someone snaps him early on.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

rodders999 wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:24 am
SteveO 35 wrote:
My biggest worry for tomorrow is that he’ll do us, I really couldn’t stomach that.

He gave it the big ‘un on the plane home from Baku last year the classless fucking c.unt. I don’t remember him being quite as fucking smug when we needed him most and he went 16 games without a goal they year Leicester won the league.

Back in the day Rodders......back in the day. I said the same during the Brighton game where we needed an Adams or Keown (even PV4) to snap that sindey little c.unt Maupay in half. Instead we waited till full time before Guendouzi mouthed off about how much he earned!

Guarantee that one of those old skool lads would have that Rylan looking French c.unt rolling around on the floor waving the white hanky after the first 5 minutes

These days Bellerin will be more interested in putting his arm round him, grinning together like two besties and swapping shirts

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:50 am
rodders999 wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:24 am
SteveO 35 wrote:

Back in the day Rodders......back in the day. I said the same during the Brighton game where we needed an Adams or Keown (even PV4) to snap that sindey little c.unt Maupay in half. Instead we waited till full time before Guendouzi mouthed off about how much he earned!

Guarantee that one of those old skool lads would have that Rylan looking French c.unt rolling around on the floor waving the white hanky after the first 5 minutes

These days Bellerin will be more interested in putting his arm round him, grinning together like two besties and swapping shirts
Bellerin would more likely make him a beautiful scarf out of that white hanky

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

rodders999 wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:19 am
Bradywasking wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:49 am
They’ve banged 3 of the logos around the back under the player’s name and number.

Not a massive fan of that font they’re using for the players name either.
I really hate all these fucking stupid logos on jerseys. The Rwanda shit has stopped me buying anything with that on it. :roll: