Chavski *word censored* Fa cup final Sat 1st Aug KO 1730

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Post Reply
User avatar
augie
Posts: 26137
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:03 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: Chavski *word censored* Fa cup final Sat 1st Aug KO 1730

Post by augie »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:56 am
mcdowell42 wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:47 pm
Emi Martinez when told after the game that the paycut for Arsenal players was reducing from 12.5 per cent to 7.5 per cent as a result of qualifying for the Europa League :

"I don't care about the money."

https://t.co/23lvlOPd01
Hard not to like our new Number 1 is it. What a humble man waiting 10 years for his chance. From memory, he was in goal for that 7-5 cup tie at Reading and I was thinking no wonder he's our third choice goalkeeper.

But this season my god, if there is such a thing as safe hands mk2 we got it. I get nervous when European keepers elect to punch, but this bloke is fearless when he goes for the ball he gathers/catches it and that takes soo much pressure off the defence.



Our new number 1 ?? Jumping the gun there a little arent we buddy ? He has been excellent since leno got injured, but let's be honest and say that we are talking about a very small sample size there. He is 27 years old and hasnt even played 20 league games in the 10 years he has been at the club. He was no higher than 3rd choice up until last season and lest we forget, we have had some absolute shite keepers in front of him during that time :oops: :oops: Leno has been one of our top 3 players this season as well

Unlike others I believe martinez is sending a message out to other clubs when he made that statement - to me it translates into "I want to play above everything else", and he is telling clubs that the money isnt as important if he is gonna be first choice at AFC or elsewhere

Topside Northbank
Posts: 500
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:06 am

Re: Chavski *word censored* Fa cup final Sat 1st Aug KO 1730

Post by Topside Northbank »

augie wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:15 pm
nut flush gooner wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:56 am
mcdowell42 wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:47 pm
Emi Martinez when told after the game that the paycut for Arsenal players was reducing from 12.5 per cent to 7.5 per cent as a result of qualifying for the Europa League :

"I don't care about the money."

https://t.co/23lvlOPd01
Hard not to like our new Number 1 is it. What a humble man waiting 10 years for his chance. From memory, he was in goal for that 7-5 cup tie at Reading and I was thinking no wonder he's our third choice goalkeeper.

But this season my god, if there is such a thing as safe hands mk2 we got it. I get nervous when European keepers elect to punch, but this bloke is fearless when he goes for the ball he gathers/catches it and that takes soo much pressure off the defence.



Our new number 1 ?? Jumping the gun there a little arent we buddy ? He has been excellent since leno got injured, but let's be honest and say that we are talking about a very small sample size there. He is 27 years old and hasnt even played 20 league games in the 10 years he has been at the club. He was no higher than 3rd choice up until last season and lest we forget, we have had some absolute shite keepers in front of him during that time :oops: :oops: Leno has been one of our top 3 players this season as well

Unlike others I believe martinez is sending a message out to other clubs when he made that statement - to me it translates into "I want to play above everything else", and he is telling clubs that the money isnt as important if he is gonna be first choice at AFC or elsewhere
Martinez deserves to keep the shirt until performances say otherwise,he will make mistakes and how he responds to those and the fans view may well change quickly,it's a harsh position GK you get slaughtered for errors.Liverpool away in the league cup,he didn't look the player he has been since Leno gotinjured.

Like that run Manninger had 97/98 he looked top drawer and was brilliant in games like West Ham in the cup and kept quite a few clean sheets.Leno is the better shot stopper,Martinez more commanding in taking crosses and a big unit,won't be surprised if one gets sold before October to raise Arteta's transfer pot which is probably meagre,despite a cup win and Ropey League footbal.

nut flush gooner
Posts: 3276
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:23 am

Re: Chavski *word censored* Fa cup final Sat 1st Aug KO 1730

Post by nut flush gooner »

Topside Northbank wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:40 pm
augie wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:15 pm
nut flush gooner wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:56 am
mcdowell42 wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:47 pm
Emi Martinez when told after the game that the paycut for Arsenal players was reducing from 12.5 per cent to 7.5 per cent as a result of qualifying for the Europa League :

"I don't care about the money."

https://t.co/23lvlOPd01
Hard not to like our new Number 1 is it. What a humble man waiting 10 years for his chance. From memory, he was in goal for that 7-5 cup tie at Reading and I was thinking no wonder he's our third choice goalkeeper.

But this season my god, if there is such a thing as safe hands mk2 we got it. I get nervous when European keepers elect to punch, but this bloke is fearless when he goes for the ball he gathers/catches it and that takes soo much pressure off the defence.



Our new number 1 ?? Jumping the gun there a little arent we buddy ? He has been excellent since leno got injured, but let's be honest and say that we are talking about a very small sample size there. He is 27 years old and hasnt even played 20 league games in the 10 years he has been at the club. He was no higher than 3rd choice up until last season and lest we forget, we have had some absolute shite keepers in front of him during that time :oops: :oops: Leno has been one of our top 3 players this season as well

Unlike others I believe martinez is sending a message out to other clubs when he made that statement - to me it translates into "I want to play above everything else", and he is telling clubs that the money isnt as important if he is gonna be first choice at AFC or elsewhere
Martinez deserves to keep the shirt until performances say otherwise,he will make mistakes and how he responds to those and the fans view may well change quickly,it's a harsh position GK you get slaughtered for errors.Liverpool away in the league cup,he didn't look the player he has been since Leno gotinjured.

Like that run Manninger had 97/98 he looked top drawer and was brilliant in games like West Ham in the cup and kept quite a few clean sheets.Leno is the better shot stopper,Martinez more commanding in taking crosses and a big unit,won't be surprised if one gets sold before October to raise Arteta's transfer pot which is probably meagre,despite a cup win and Ropey League footbal.
Exactly, he's bee amazing over the last dozen games or so and deserves to keep the shirt.

The difference between Martinez and Manninger is Seaman was on a totally different level to Leno who isn't even a regular international starter. He's fucked up in 7 different situations over the last few seasons, including the home game against Chelski, which cost us the game.

Until Martinez fucks up, I wouldn't start Leno when he's match fit.

nut flush gooner
Posts: 3276
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:23 am

Re: Chavski *word censored* Fa cup final Sat 1st Aug KO 1730

Post by nut flush gooner »

augie wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:15 pm
nut flush gooner wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:56 am
mcdowell42 wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:47 pm
Emi Martinez when told after the game that the paycut for Arsenal players was reducing from 12.5 per cent to 7.5 per cent as a result of qualifying for the Europa League :

"I don't care about the money."

https://t.co/23lvlOPd01
Hard not to like our new Number 1 is it. What a humble man waiting 10 years for his chance. From memory, he was in goal for that 7-5 cup tie at Reading and I was thinking no wonder he's our third choice goalkeeper.

But this season my god, if there is such a thing as safe hands mk2 we got it. I get nervous when European keepers elect to punch, but this bloke is fearless when he goes for the ball he gathers/catches it and that takes soo much pressure off the defence.



Our new number 1 ?? Jumping the gun there a little arent we buddy ? He has been excellent since leno got injured, but let's be honest and say that we are talking about a very small sample size there. He is 27 years old and hasnt even played 20 league games in the 10 years he has been at the club. He was no higher than 3rd choice up until last season and lest we forget, we have had some absolute shite keepers in front of him during that time :oops: :oops: Leno has been one of our top 3 players this season as well

Unlike others I believe martinez is sending a message out to other clubs when he made that statement - to me it translates into "I want to play above everything else", and he is telling clubs that the money isnt as important if he is gonna be first choice at AFC or elsewhere
Yep very small sample size, I repeat what I say ^^^ but would say he fills me with much more confidence that Leno with his ball gathering skills.

User avatar
augie
Posts: 26137
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:03 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: Chavski *word censored* Fa cup final Sat 1st Aug KO 1730

Post by augie »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:49 am
Topside Northbank wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:40 pm
augie wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:15 pm
nut flush gooner wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:56 am
mcdowell42 wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:47 pm
Emi Martinez when told after the game that the paycut for Arsenal players was reducing from 12.5 per cent to 7.5 per cent as a result of qualifying for the Europa League :

"I don't care about the money."

https://t.co/23lvlOPd01
Hard not to like our new Number 1 is it. What a humble man waiting 10 years for his chance. From memory, he was in goal for that 7-5 cup tie at Reading and I was thinking no wonder he's our third choice goalkeeper.

But this season my god, if there is such a thing as safe hands mk2 we got it. I get nervous when European keepers elect to punch, but this bloke is fearless when he goes for the ball he gathers/catches it and that takes soo much pressure off the defence.



Our new number 1 ?? Jumping the gun there a little arent we buddy ? He has been excellent since leno got injured, but let's be honest and say that we are talking about a very small sample size there. He is 27 years old and hasnt even played 20 league games in the 10 years he has been at the club. He was no higher than 3rd choice up until last season and lest we forget, we have had some absolute shite keepers in front of him during that time :oops: :oops: Leno has been one of our top 3 players this season as well

Unlike others I believe martinez is sending a message out to other clubs when he made that statement - to me it translates into "I want to play above everything else", and he is telling clubs that the money isnt as important if he is gonna be first choice at AFC or elsewhere
Martinez deserves to keep the shirt until performances say otherwise,he will make mistakes and how he responds to those and the fans view may well change quickly,it's a harsh position GK you get slaughtered for errors.Liverpool away in the league cup,he didn't look the player he has been since Leno gotinjured.

Like that run Manninger had 97/98 he looked top drawer and was brilliant in games like West Ham in the cup and kept quite a few clean sheets.Leno is the better shot stopper,Martinez more commanding in taking crosses and a big unit,won't be surprised if one gets sold before October to raise Arteta's transfer pot which is probably meagre,despite a cup win and Ropey League footbal.
Exactly, he's bee amazing over the last dozen games or so and deserves to keep the shirt.

The difference between Martinez and Manninger is Seaman was on a totally different level to Leno who isn't even a regular international starter. He's fucked up in 7 different situations over the last few seasons, including the home game against Chelski, which cost us the game.

Until Martinez fucks up, I wouldn't start Leno when he's match fit.




Clearly you are right on that - it is shameful that he is behind world class neuer and ter stegan in the pecking order for germany :lol: :lol: FFS man have a chat with yourself - I dont mind you making an argument for martinez but lets make it on realistic expectations, cos martinez hasnt got next or near an argentinian squad who hasnt had a top quality keeper for over a decade :roll:

You show me a keeper that hasnt made mistakes - show me one keeper even. Leno has made mistakes but has been one of our top 3 players by a distance this season. He has played behind a piss poor/porous defence all season and has made a number of big/outstanding saves - martinez has come in and done exceptionally well for sure, but he is also playing behind a team that is playing more defensively and as a result is more solid.

My fear with martinez is fans working off a tiny sample size. He has been at the club 10 years and has never been close to being even regular second choice keeper in that time, and there is a reason for that. He is a 27 year old too so it isnt as if he is some new rookie learning his trade either. My big fear is that we are giving the keys to the castle to a guy that has no proven track record - how many times over the years have we seen players come into a team and have a really hot streak but then over the long run prove to be short on the quality required ? Leno will not stay to be back up, so if we are to dispense of his services we need to be sure as shit that the guy we are putting our faith in is a better keeper

A11M11
Posts: 1315
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:07 am

Re: Chavski *word censored* Fa cup final Sat 1st Aug KO 1730

Post by A11M11 »

Leno will not stay to be back up, so if we are to dispense of his services we need to be sure as shit that the guy we are putting our faith in is a better keeper.

Cuts both ways , having tasted the first team and doing little wrong Martinez is unlikely to drift back into the shadows. . If one has to go , and one probably will , we should sell the one where we get the best deal.

User avatar
augie
Posts: 26137
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:03 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: Chavski *word censored* Fa cup final Sat 1st Aug KO 1730

Post by augie »

A11M11 wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:20 am
Leno will not stay to be back up, so if we are to dispense of his services we need to be sure as shit that the guy we are putting our faith in is a better keeper.

Cuts both ways , having tasted the first team and doing little wrong Martinez is unlikely to drift back into the shadows. . If one has to go , and one probably will , we should sell the one where we get the best deal.



Which is why I said a few days ago that it wouldnt shock me if leno is sold to raise funds.

I keep saying this, and I mean no disrespect to martinez who has done excellently since he came in, but he is a 27 year old who has never proven himself anywhere in his 10 years in england. He has been out on loan numerous times and not done anything to raise even the slightest interest in any club in buying him - compare that to henderson (sheffield utd and manure) when, even when he was in the championship last season he was attracting interest and media attention. Martinez's stock and value has never been as high and we could get a decent wedge for him if we sold him this summer. However if we retain him and sell leno, there is a very real possibility that we might earn a few extra quid now, but lose out in the long term if it turns out that he was just an average keeper on a hot streak

User avatar
SteveO 35
Posts: 17014
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 7:01 pm
Location: Abou's fan club

Re: Chavski *word censored* Fa cup final Sat 1st Aug KO 1730

Post by SteveO 35 »

Can we just enjoy the fact that we've got two half decent keepers??

It wasn't that long ago when our Lord and Master had Almunia as his first choice and occasional captain, supported by Flappy and Mannone!

A11M11
Posts: 1315
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:07 am

Re: Chavski *word censored* Fa cup final Sat 1st Aug KO 1730

Post by A11M11 »

Would be nice if we could keep them but logic says that whoever gets number 2 will want better.

User avatar
augie
Posts: 26137
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:03 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: Chavski *word censored* Fa cup final Sat 1st Aug KO 1730

Post by augie »

A11M11 wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:50 am
Would be nice if we could keep them but logic says that whoever gets number 2 will want better.



Exactly my point - gone are the days where we can afford to keep 2 good keepers in the club both from a financial and footballing point of view. A team with as many holes as ours has should focus on strengthening the first 11 first, and selling one of keepers would bring in finances to help do that

User avatar
herbert
Posts: 510
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:25 am
Location: london

Re: Chavski *word censored* Fa cup final Sat 1st Aug KO 1730

Post by herbert »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:42 am
Can we just enjoy the fact that we've got two half decent keepers??

It wasn't that long ago when our Lord and Master had Almunia as his first choice and occasional captain, supported by Flappy and Mannone!
It is a great problem to have for Arteta 2 good goalkeepers one aged 27 and the other 28
they reckon that goalkeepers peak and are at there best aged 30+ so one of the two could be number 1 for the next 10 yrs

I like them both but I think Martinez could go on to be that bit better :barscarf:

User avatar
g88ner
Posts: 13983
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:17 pm

Re: Chavski *word censored* Fa cup final Sat 1st Aug KO 1730

Post by g88ner »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:42 am
Can we just enjoy the fact that we've got two half decent keepers??

It wasn't that long ago when our Lord and Master had Almunia as his first choice and occasional captain, supported by Flappy and Mannone!
Absolutely!

We’re in the Europa League now so plenty of games to have a cup keeper.

I’ve got a proper man crush on Martinez but it’s too soon to let Leno go. Let them fight it out next season and one will probably be sold next summer.

I’d start next season with Martinez as number 1 though. It’s up to Leno to win it back.

User avatar
Nos89
Posts: 3546
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:44 am

Re: Chavski *word censored* Fa cup final Sat 1st Aug KO 1730

Post by Nos89 »

Martinez should start a number 1 next season. Maybe, he is a late developer and has finally got his shit together. Remember how we used to mock szceszny, even though he won the golden glove in his last season at number 1at Arsenal. He moved to Juventus and now ranked the 5th best keeper in the world. Look at the example of keepers that were brilliant when younger De Gea, Kepa, Courtois and Hart but have faded as they got older.
He handles the ball better, distribution is better and reads the game better than Leno. Has a calmer temperament and has not made any unforced errors in the 10 games he's played in since taking over from the injured Leno. If push comes to shove I can see leno being sold.

User avatar
augie
Posts: 26137
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:03 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: Chavski *word censored* Fa cup final Sat 1st Aug KO 1730

Post by augie »

Nos89 wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:19 pm
Martinez should start a number 1 next season. Maybe, he is a late developer and has finally got his shit together. Remember how we used to mock szceszny, even though he won the golden glove in his last season at number 1at Arsenal. He moved to Juventus and now ranked the 5th best keeper in the world. Look at the example of keepers that were brilliant when younger De Gea, Kepa, Courtois and Hart but have faded as they got older.
He handles the ball better, distribution is better and reads the game better than Leno. Has a calmer temperament and has not made any unforced errors in the 10 games he's played in since taking over from the injured Leno. If push comes to shove I can see leno being sold.



I'm not sure I am following the point you are trying to make buddy - you list a few keepers that were brilliant and faded over time, but you havent listed one that was average/shit for 10 years and became top quality, and that is the point that you were suggesting what has happened with martinez I think :? :?

User avatar
shu
Posts: 848
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:47 pm
Location: Norwich

Re: Chavski *word censored* Fa cup final Sat 1st Aug KO 1730

Post by shu »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:49 am
Topside Northbank wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:40 pm
augie wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:15 pm
nut flush gooner wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:56 am
mcdowell42 wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:47 pm
Emi Martinez when told after the game that the paycut for Arsenal players was reducing from 12.5 per cent to 7.5 per cent as a result of qualifying for the Europa League :

"I don't care about the money."

https://t.co/23lvlOPd01
Hard not to like our new Number 1 is it. What a humble man waiting 10 years for his chance. From memory, he was in goal for that 7-5 cup tie at Reading and I was thinking no wonder he's our third choice goalkeeper.

But this season my god, if there is such a thing as safe hands mk2 we got it. I get nervous when European keepers elect to punch, but this bloke is fearless when he goes for the ball he gathers/catches it and that takes soo much pressure off the defence.



Our new number 1 ?? Jumping the gun there a little arent we buddy ? He has been excellent since leno got injured, but let's be honest and say that we are talking about a very small sample size there. He is 27 years old and hasnt even played 20 league games in the 10 years he has been at the club. He was no higher than 3rd choice up until last season and lest we forget, we have had some absolute shite keepers in front of him during that time :oops: :oops: Leno has been one of our top 3 players this season as well

Unlike others I believe martinez is sending a message out to other clubs when he made that statement - to me it translates into "I want to play above everything else", and he is telling clubs that the money isnt as important if he is gonna be first choice at AFC or elsewhere
Martinez deserves to keep the shirt until performances say otherwise,he will make mistakes and how he responds to those and the fans view may well change quickly,it's a harsh position GK you get slaughtered for errors.Liverpool away in the league cup,he didn't look the player he has been since Leno gotinjured.

Like that run Manninger had 97/98 he looked top drawer and was brilliant in games like West Ham in the cup and kept quite a few clean sheets.Leno is the better shot stopper,Martinez more commanding in taking crosses and a big unit,won't be surprised if one gets sold before October to raise Arteta's transfer pot which is probably meagre,despite a cup win and Ropey League footbal.
Exactly, he's bee amazing over the last dozen games or so and deserves to keep the shirt.

The difference between Martinez and Manninger is Seaman was on a totally different level to Leno who isn't even a regular international starter. He's fucked up in 7 different situations over the last few seasons, including the home game against Chelski, which cost us the game.

Until Martinez fucks up, I wouldn't start Leno when he's match fit.
Blimey I totally agree with you nutflush . Who is this imposter posing as Augie ? Argumentative and negative to the point that if he was new he would be branded a spud and banned . Last month it was Bard and no doubt me now .
Why all of this negative shit , hey we won the cup and I think we have as good as a manager as we could hope and Martinez hasn't made the errors mentioned by Nutflush . Mind you Augie you don't like the manage either.

Post Reply