FLAMINI TO LIVERPOOL

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Cockerill's chin
Location: Found the transfer fund... in Bendtner/Diaby/Denilson's pockets

Post by Cockerill's chin »

Chickens are coming home to roost.

I think if we had a major trophy, it would have added to the reasons why Flamster should stay. Same with Hleb, who has the option of buying out his contract and leaving on the cheap.

The lack of 3 signings last year may have gone someway to costing us these 2. The false economy of AW.

Number 5

Post by Number 5 »

If he did end up on Merseyside, I wouldn't mind bringing in Alonso to replace him. He's being bombed out at the end of the season so would fit our style well.

corkbarry

Post by corkbarry »

If someone offered to double or treble my wages i would leave.(If I had a job) :lol:

26may1989

Post by 26may1989 »

Cockerill's chin wrote:I think if we had a major trophy, it would have added to the reasons why Flamster should stay.
Disagree - it's just the money - having had the season he's had and with his contract up, Flamini can get £3m a year for 5 years to play for one of Juve or Bayern. Difficult for anyone to turn down, whether they've just won a quadruple or nothing at all.

augie

Post by augie »

Cockerill's chin wrote:Chickens are coming home to roost.

I think if we had a major trophy, it would have added to the reasons why Flamster should stay. Same with Hleb, who has the option of buying out his contract and leaving on the cheap.

The lack of 3 signings last year may have gone someway to costing us these 2. The false economy of AW.

According to some on this forum it shouldnt matter to players like cesc if we buy anyone or not and failure to win any trophies will not affect a players willingness to stay with the club :roll: I made the same point in recent years as we have lost a string of quality players only to be replaced by players of inferior quality and yet the players and fans are supposed to be happy about it :roll: Time to sort it out methinks

hanny73

Post by hanny73 »

OK - this might be a bit controversial but is Flamini REALLY that good? He's been at the club since 2004 and it's only this season he holds down a first team place.

I admit that previously he was young and sometimes he played out of position but he's had one good season.

Justin-the-Gooner

Post by Justin-the-Gooner »

bullshatttttttttttt

I hope :cry:

gus ceasar is a legend

Post by gus ceasar is a legend »

Pound to a pinch of shit he leaves!

If he was staying it would be wrapped up by now!

:shock:

Number 5

Post by Number 5 »

hanny73 wrote:OK - this might be a bit controversial but is Flamini REALLY that good? He's been at the club since 2004 and it's only this season he holds down a first team place.

I admit that previously he was young and sometimes he played out of position but he's had one good season.
It's going to be nailed on he'll pick up nearly every Arsenal supporters club player of the year award, every Arsenal.com player of the season award. In fact any POTS award we give he'll likely win. Yes it's been for just one season but his star is on the rise, I can't see him going backwards and you've got to keep your players when they are showing that amount of potential. He proved this year he can mix it with some of the best and I really like his heart. In fact if Gallas is not skipper next year he'd be in my top 2 to take over the armband.

26may1989

Post by 26may1989 »

I don't really think it's a question of whether Flamini is a one-season wonder or a real star. It's all about what Arsenal are going to do in what is now a difficult position in securing a partner for Cesc.

Can we get someone as effective as Flamini has been this year? Possibly but not easily, and there will be the settling in period as well as the inevitable uncertainty factor.

And then there's the question of cost. If Arsenal were to increase Flamini's salary to about £3m a year, it would mean an additional outlay of something like £7m-£8m over 5 years. Would we be able to sign an adequate replacement for that amount (including transfer fee and any additional wages over what Flamini gets now)? Unlikely. But then there's the question of the impact of over-paying Flamini on the club's ability to keep salaries under control, making it difficult to give into Flamini's demands or to match what Juve and Bayern can offer.

With Gilberto winding his career down, and Diarra having been shipped out once he showed neither patience nor belief in his decision to join from Chelsea, we are now in a very difficult position. Bizarre given how oversubscribed we felt we were in central midfield in the summer. I know there are criticisms to be made of Wenger and the club about how this situation arose, but I can't help thinking Arsenal are the victims of a confluence of events.

But perhaps the solution is in-house after all - Diaby being given a central midfield role instead of being played out on the wing all the time? No more ridiculous than saying in summer 2007 that Flamini would become a key player for us.

King_Kolo

Post by King_Kolo »

But perhaps the solution is in-house after all - Diaby being given a central midfield role instead of being played out on the wing all the time? No more ridiculous than saying in summer 2007 that Flamini would become a key player for us.[/quote]

Totally agree, I think Diaby has been excellent this season when he has had a chance, especially as he has been out of position most of the time. While I would be gutted if Flam leaves, I think it would be a great chance for Diaby to step up to the plate and become the "new Vieira". And don't forget Denilson, not a bad cover player at all.

Magic Merse
Location: Stanford-le-hope, home of the world famous Dougie from McFly

Post by Magic Merse »

Well according to sky sports, Hill-Wood has said that he thinks Flamini may of signed a pre-contract agreement with Juventus. Look's like playing nice with Juve has paid of hasn't it........................NAT (in borat style)

donaldo

Post by donaldo »

Who can blame Flamini.If a company down the road offers you nearly £20,000 a week more than the company you work for now would you say no to them.Of course not

The big question is how much do Arsenal value Flamini. He is a great foil for Cesc.Who is to say the Flamsters replacement will be as good a partner for Cesc.I hear people say Diaby but i think he slows the game up too much and does not have the Flamsters engine
And what sort of message does that send to Cesc that we cant hold on to one of our best players.How long we he put up with that?

I thought the new stadium was built so we could have more money to hold onto our players as well as buy new one"s.At the moment we may end up losing players and not replacing them

Magic Merse
Location: Stanford-le-hope, home of the world famous Dougie from McFly

Post by Magic Merse »

It's not that fact that he is going that winds me up. Its the fact that he keeps saying that staying with arseanl is his priority. If he has actually signed a pre-contact agreement with juve then why not come out and say it. He's not going to play again this season so why not just be honest. Then everyone can move on.

Diaby has looked good when he has played in the middle, but after seeing how much a terrier like player works for us, i think it would be criminal not to find a like for like replacement. The obviouse choice would be gattuso, but that will never happen, from what i read Migel Veloso for Sporting Lisbon is also that kind of player, and we have also been following him.

augie

Post by augie »

Like most on here I believe that if flamini was going to stay he would have signed before now. Again what annoys me most is that as a club we seemed to have bent over yet again to be screwed financially on a player that we should have either sold or signed up 12 months ago.

One thing I would like to add though is do not pay any attention to the ramblings of the buffoon masquerading as our chairman - history has shown us that most of the time he talks as much shite as roly and pancho :roll: