Anyone else glad we didn't sign Babel?

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Number 5

Anyone else glad we didn't sign Babel?

Post by Number 5 »

I know he's only 21 and the potential is there but I'm quite glad we didn't go all the way and sign him up, as I'm sure we were making some definate moves.

On tonights showing and previous games I've seen he has a first touch comparable to Adebayor, no killer pass, and tends to run down blind alleys. And Benitez always subs him. All for the princley sum of £11.5m. If we had have shelled that out I'd be fairly disapointed with the return but I would have argued at the time Liverpool signed him we had just missed out. I don't think he'd have pushed us on any further than we stand currently. In fact I'd say Theo is ahead of him right now but had we signed him he'd probably be blocking Theo's path to being Eboue's back-up.

Gunner4LiF3

Post by Gunner4LiF3 »

he is ok, but not worth the money paid for him

augie

Post by augie »

Cant disagree with any of your thoughts there number 5. I always look at a players lack of a 1st touch as a sure sign that he aint good enough. I mean it can take time to adapt to new team-mates, a new country and a faster style of play but if you cant control a fucking ball none of the rest will ever matter cos you'll still be shite :roll:

SCREAM AIM FIRE

Post by SCREAM AIM FIRE »

if we signed him we'd still be in the CL :P

green gooner

Post by green gooner »

If we had signed Babel then at least we would have signed somebody...............anybody.................for God's sake give us some crumb of hope :cry: :( :? :oops: :roll:

demzy

Post by demzy »

I actually think he would have been a good signing. A bit of pace on the wing which we all crave to see at the emirates.

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

He reminds me a bit of Ljungberg in his first season.
As you say, blind alleys and no end product.

Yet the potential is all there for a 25 goal a season man if played up front with Torres.

I think he will develop over time.

Interesting thing for me is that Walcott was same price (if all the bonus payments were met - though I belive that was changed to £9M with everything left o the balance paid up front a month ago).

Walcott is currently better than Babel, is younger, and is now cheaper!

Magic Hat

Post by Magic Hat »

Not for the price Liverpool paid and I thought it was intresting that despite his being a top young player for years, we never seem to have made a bid. I think he will become a useful striker for Liverpool but I don't see him being worth the transfer fee

REB

Post by REB »

i dont dislike him but he wont turn out to be world class winger they think he will be,, as said above, no control just speed :roll: