GAYS IN FOOTBALL

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Chippy

Post by Chippy »

This is what I love about this forum. A serious subject with (mostly) serious well written answers leavened with a few jokes.

Like all walks of life it is going to take a few brave souls to open the door to enable the others to get the courage. It is never going to be 100% as we still see racism even though we have had black players for over 30 years. The most likely thing is a few players will come out when they have retired and that might encourage some of the younger ones still playing.

As for that Moggi bloke, I always feel people who get that hysterical about homosexuality have something to hide.

Now Cus whats wrong with us chicken molesters :?: :evil: :roll: :lol:

Belfast Boy

Post by Belfast Boy »

Queenie wrote:OOH...You can but wish can't you. Why should all those girl band slappers get the Prem footballer. What I wouldn't give to have a shower with a few of them.
I wanna know when they're gonna start givin equal opportunites to the Arsenal Ladies and pay them 70 grand a week to give the lads a chance of becomin kept men :D

Cus Geezer

Post by Cus Geezer »

I was at the Arsenal v Wimbledon game that took place immediately after Justin Fashanu came out. To see John Fashanu publicly taking the piss out of his own brother that day because he was embarrassed at being related to someone who was gay was disgusting.
If that was Arsenal v Wimbledon in Dec 1990, Adams's last before being banged up I was at that one too.

Don't recall Fash publicly taking the piss out of his brother though, what was he doing exactly?

N17 Gooner

Post by N17 Gooner »

I must say I'm not sure about gay fans in football.

They only sing when they're rimming.

Cus Geezer

Post by Cus Geezer »

N17 Gooner wrote:I must say I'm not sure about gay fans in football.

:lol:
:lol:
:o

Appearently Ashley Cole isn't gay.

He only joined that fisting club to widen the circle of his friends

N17 Gooner

Post by N17 Gooner »

Cus Geezer wrote:He only joined that fisting club to widen the circle of his friends
Either that or his rectum walls.

I Hate Hleb

Post by I Hate Hleb »

N17 Gooner wrote:I must say I'm not sure about gay fans in football.

NOT ALWAYS BEEN A FAN OF YOUR POSTS N17 GOONER, A BIT TOO CONTROVERSIAL FOR MY LIKING. :roll: HOWEVER, I MUST SAY THAT WAS FECKING FUNNY!! 8) :lol: :wink:

26may1989

Post by 26may1989 »

Cus Geezer wrote:
I was at the Arsenal v Wimbledon game that took place immediately after Justin Fashanu came out. To see John Fashanu publicly taking the piss out of his own brother that day because he was embarrassed at being related to someone who was gay was disgusting.
If that was Arsenal v Wimbledon in Dec 1990, Adams's last before being banged up I was at that one too.

Don't recall Fash publicly taking the piss out of his brother though, what was he doing exactly?
Ok, so it wasn't only him: the North Bank was singing predictable things about Justin Fashanu and each time John Fashanu responded by making gestures, bending over etc, all clearly aimed at showing he, the big macho guy, was disgusted at his brother coming out, and no-one should think homosexuality might run in the family. In the days following the match, the ever loyal John was quoted saying various things to distance himself from his brother, and he publicly stated Justin Fashanu was an outcast for having come out.

Some might have thought it was funny. I hope fewer did once Justin Fashanu hanged himself. Piss-taking from football fans is to be expected but it sickened me to see someone treat their own family that way.

Cus Geezer

Post by Cus Geezer »

In the days following the match, the ever loyal John was quoted saying various things to distance himself from his brother, and he publicly stated Justin Fashanu was an outcast for having come out.
I think John has tried to explain his rift with his brother as dislike for his coming out to the papers before his family and about his life in general, which included drug use and a few scandals with politicians rather than his dislike for his brother being gay.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/264434.stm

Though Peter Tatchell tells it differently

http://www.petertatchell.net/sport/justin%20fashanu.htm.

Clough also once had a conversation with Fashanu which went

Clough: 'what do you go into a butchers for son'

Fashanu: 'Meat boss'

Clough:'what do you go to a baker for son'

Fashanu: 'Bread boss'

Clough: 'So what are you going to these poof clubs for Justin?'

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

Clough used to publicly kiss men but he wasn't gay.

Infact, lots of footballers publicly kiss men.

Elton John used to get loads of aggro when he was Watford Chairman...

Remember singing "Elton John is a homosexual" when they came to Highbury?

I probably did at the time, though I would not now..where once I hated I am now tolerant.

The St. Pauli chairman in the Bundesliga is gay too, he even dresses up in drag.

lisa_gooner

Post by lisa_gooner »

QuartzGooner wrote:
The St. Pauli chairman in the Bundesliga is gay too, he even dresses up in drag.
What, like Robbie Savage?

Seriously though, I'm gay and I know that if I mention it, you guys will take the piss, but to be honest I can take that and if people just come out and say it then it really isn't a big deal. People 'get over it' very quickly and then swiftly move onto the next topic to take the piss... that's what banter is about.

I am normally very open about it in my real life and I just wish that more famous people felt that they could come out.. There are always rumours about people in sport, but seriously, what is so good about living a lie? In the 70's and 80's there was 'banter' about being black (which is now rightly called racism), but do you remember programs like "rising damp" and the stuff "Alf Garnet" used to say! It sounds so shocking now! Hopefully if some sports people show some balls and just be honest then it will improve for everyone.

:D :D

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

lisa_gooner wrote:
QuartzGooner wrote:
What, like Robbie Savage?

Seriously though, I'm gay and I know that if I mention it, you guys will take the piss, but to be honest I can take that and if people just come out and say it then it really isn't a big deal. People 'get over it' very quickly and then swiftly move onto the next topic to take the piss... that's what banter is about.

I am normally very open about it in my real life and I just wish that more famous people felt that they could come out.. There are always rumours about people in sport, but seriously, what is so good about living a lie? In the 70's and 80's there was 'banter' about being black (which is now rightly called racism), but do you remember programs like "rising damp" and the stuff "Alf Garnet" used to say! It sounds so shocking now! Hopefully if some sports people show some balls and just be honest then it will improve for everyone.

:D :D
Well said (typed) Lisa. But, predictably, I am going to have to take the piss;
I am normally very open about it in my real life and I just wish that more famous people felt that they could come out
When did you become famous??? :wink:

Chippy

Post by Chippy »

Good on you Lisa. However saying "some sports people show some balls" in a thread on gay footballers. :oops: :lol:

REB

Post by REB »

well said lisa,,
it might stop wayno and gus chatting you up now :lol: :lol: :wink:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

rebel gooner wrote:well said lisa,,
it might stop wayno and gus chatting you up now :lol: :lol: :wink:
Wouldn't bet on it... :wink: