Vela up front next season

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Chippy

Vela up front next season

Post by Chippy »

http://www.football365.com/story/0,1703 ... 23,00.html

Seems like a good compromise if it means spending more money on midfielders and defenders. :D

Chippy

Post by Chippy »

gus ceasar is a legend

Post by gus ceasar is a legend »

I think this is just the press twisting Wenger's words!

He also said Theo was not a winger remember and where has he played 90% of the season?

8)

Magic Merse
Location: Stanford-le-hope, home of the world famous Dougie from McFly

Post by Magic Merse »

As i said before we could end up with 4 established forwards (ade, van, bendt, eduardo) plus walcott and vela as part forward/part wingers.

As much as i would love us to buy D. Villa, i just think that the forward line up has got soo much potential and i think it is worth sticking with for another season.

gooner_4_Life 1991

Post by gooner_4_Life 1991 »

Magic Merse wrote:As i said before we could end up with 4 established forwards (ade, van, bendt, eduardo) plus walcott and vela as part forward/part wingers.

As much as i would love us to buy D. Villa, i just think that the forward line up has got soo much potential and i think it is worth sticking with for another season.
agreed

SPUDMASHER

Post by SPUDMASHER »

Wenger says that Vela is an up the middle striker like Eduardo. If so, why was Eduardo played out wide so often??????? :roll: :roll:

gus ceasar is a legend

Post by gus ceasar is a legend »

Agreed it has potential BUT how much more potential would it have if Villa was to be swapped for say Bendtner?

Another point is that whilst people are getting excited about Eduardo being back before Christmas, this is hardly a given. Anything can happen in his recouperation. Look at what happened to Dean Ashton after he broke his ankle and Eddie's injury is ten times worse. Sett backs can occur and as well documented he has the mental side to overcomee too!

I so hope he does return but I do not think we can reasonably expect him to contribute a huge amount next season. For the same reason I do not believe we can count him among our "established" forwards.

8)

Gooner Whitey

Post by Gooner Whitey »

Magic Merse wrote:As i said before we could end up with 4 established forwards (ade, van, bendt, eduardo) plus walcott and vela as part forward/part wingers.

Lets get rid of Bendtner then as he is an asshole and is crap! (To put it constructively :) )

Red Gunner

Post by Red Gunner »

I think we should get a back-up forward for the next season, as Nik and Ade are the only two we can rely on. Eduardo is injured and Van Persie has to prove his fitness. Walcott will probably continue on the right wing and we don't know what we'll get from Vela. If we could get a class striker like Villa, it'd be great but I'd be happy with striker that will not be expected to be a regular and could do as back-up.

ko king

Post by ko king »

never seen this young guy play

but have only been told good, very good things about him, i,m the first to say we need to buy and buy big so lets get shot of bendtner, try this vela guy but still buy a world class stricker as ed isnt gonna be ready for some time

Chippy

Post by Chippy »

I posted this on a thread about him before. Its everything he did palying against Real Madrid earlier in the season.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=MuIJkWbKI7U

crocit

Post by crocit »

he set Up an awesome goal on the weekend, got pace and an awesome shot on him, i think hes very similar to Micheal Owen superb pace,

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

khalid_red wrote:I think we should get a back-up forward for the next season, as Nik and Ade are the only two we can rely on. Eduardo is injured and Van Persie has to prove his fitness. Walcott will probably continue on the right wing and we don't know what we'll get from Vela. If we could get a class striker like Villa, it'd be great but I'd be happy with striker that will not be expected to be a regular and could do as back-up.
That is a good point, especially with Barazite pushing for a place on the bench too, and Simpson coming back to the club.

It might leave Wenger in a Diarra type situation, where if in January Van Persie is injury free and scoring, and Eduardo has come back, then we have many players competing for a place and some get disaffected.

It may be that Wenger holds off on thinking about a new a striker until January, when he knows more about Van Persie and Eduardo's fitness?

Fabby is a Foot (Leg-end)

Post by Fabby is a Foot (Leg-end) »

I think Vela and Walcott may well get chances up front as well as in midfield. Eduardo is not going to be playing unti 2009 relaistically. RVP will not play after August (or earlier as Euros) so there is room. Would still like to see Villa or maybe someone in on loan at least to Jan to cover Eduardo!

shimmy21

Just in...

Post by shimmy21 »

Vela has been granted his work permit :D :D :D