Would you swap Adebayor for Eto'o?

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
northbankbren

Would you swap Adebayor for Eto'o?

Post by northbankbren »

....I think I would.
What you reckon?

Red Gunner

Post by Red Gunner »

Very difficult to say. There are different factors that should be taken account. Age and attitude being the key ones. I think someone like Wenger would be able to answer this with all the in-depth information he has :wink:

northbankbren

Post by northbankbren »

Knowing Wenger he would probably be able to provide use with a 300 page report comparing the two :D :wink:

This Is The Daybreak

Post by This Is The Daybreak »

For me no, his attitude on the whole stinks and is well past his best

Belfast Boy

Post by Belfast Boy »

No way!

Number 5

Post by Number 5 »

It's not just a no, it's a oh hell no.

Based on his two performances against United in the CL semi's where he barely looked a threat I couldn't get behind that one. He does look on the decline now whereas Ade should be on the up and up if he builds on this year's progress. Plus he's not exactly being linked with the stellar clubs is he? The Trottspurs? A sure sign any player isn't cut out for first class competition any more.

I Hate Hleb

Post by I Hate Hleb »

Although I think Eto'o is the better player, I don't think he would offer us what Ade does: namely a threat in the air and a target man.

To be fair, I don't think the performances Eto'o gave in the Man Utd games was a true reflection of his talent. He spent a long period out injured and certainly wasn't as sharp as he was at the beginning of the season for Barca. At his best Eto'o is one of the top 3 strikers in the world.

However, despite his talent, Eto'o certainly has a bit of a reputation for having an attitude and there is a danger that we might return to the Henry days of team-mates cowering under his glare. Still, if it could be arranged I wouldn't mind having both in the squad. 8) :lol: :wink:

augie

Post by augie »

14 goals in 17 league games this season (or so I am told) is no bad statistic for a player that has seen his best days :roll:

I would def take him ahead of ade and he would bring a much better strike ratio than the togan. Again fans have to realise that we need players with an experience of winning trophies and eto def has that. I also would like to know if fans that question his attitude are saying that they dont believe wenger would be able handle him ? :shock:

26may1989

Post by 26may1989 »

Much as I rate Eto'o, I don't think I'd sacrifice Ade for him right now. Augie's right that his stats for Barca are still outstanding this year (Wiki reckon it's 16 goals in 16 league games and 18 goals in 20 games in all comps). Despite that, like most, I have the sense that Eto'o's performances are not the same as they were a couple of years ago. And I don't just mean from watching their matches vs United.

I have no particular problem with Eto'o's attitude, he's a determined guy who feels pissed off at the bullshit of playing for Barca (Ronaldinho's politicking, all the presidential crap and the fans' fickleness). But for the current Arsenal team, Ade represents greater certainty. His style of play fits with the squad, whether we're playing 4-4-2, 4-4-1-1 or 4-5-1. Not sure if Eto'o would be as adaptable.

Still love to see him or Villa sign for us though.

northbankbren

Post by northbankbren »

I Hate Hleb wrote:Although I think Eto'o is the better player, I don't think he would offer us what Ade does: namely a threat in the air and a target man.

To be fair, I don't think the performances Eto'o gave in the Man Utd games was a true reflection of his talent. He spent a long period out injured and certainly wasn't as sharp as he was at the beginning of the season for Barca. At his best Eto'o is one of the top 3 strikers in the world.

However, despite his talent, Eto'o certainly has a bit of a reputation for having an attitude and there is a danger that we might return to the Henry days of team-mates cowering under his glare. Still, if it could be arranged I wouldn't mind having both in the squad. 8) :lol: :wink:
100% spot on. although i know eto'o comes with baggage,want to keep Ade, just if had to choose rite now out of the two it would be eto'o. Ade & Eto'o would be intresting though.

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

No.

Eto'o is on way down, Ade is on way up.

Much of Eto'o's game comes from his incredible physical sharpness which can only decline past age 30.

Magic Hat

Post by Magic Hat »

Ade is young and can improve, Eto will decline at some point before Ade. Would gladly take them both though, someone of Eto's quality would be a real boon

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

Magic Hat wrote:Ade is young and can improve, Eto will decline at some point before Ade. Would gladly take them both though, someone of Eto's quality would be a real boon
Although it doesnt happen often i agree with Magic here

Charlie! Charlie!

Post by Charlie! Charlie! »

flash gunner wrote:
Magic Hat wrote:Ade is young and can improve, Eto will decline at some point before Ade. Would gladly take them both though, someone of Eto's quality would be a real boon
Although it doesnt happen often i agree with Magic here

Me too, used to love boon. :lol:

WengerKnows

Post by WengerKnows »

I would swap Ade for Eto for a year since i think Eto is the better player at the moment . However keeping in mind age and the fact that Eto is only going to get worse and Ade will most likely improve i would expect around 8-10 million pounds + Eto a fair deal for Ade .