when all 3 promoted clubs stayed up and 3 down stayed down

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Cus Geezer

when all 3 promoted clubs stayed up and 3 down stayed down

Post by Cus Geezer »

When was the last season in the top flight where all promoted sides stayed up the following season and all three relegated sides stayed down?

N17 Gooner

Post by N17 Gooner »

2001 - 2002

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

The more interesting question is.....will it ever happen again ??? Somehow me thinks not

Which 3 could be worse than WBA, Stoke and Hull / Bristol

Still Derby are boosting the hopes of the other part of the equation !!

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

SteveO 35 wrote:The more interesting question is.....will it ever happen again ??? Somehow me thinks not

Which 3 could be worse than WBA, Stoke and Hull / Bristol

Still Derby are boosting the hopes of the other part of the equation !!
Hey don't write Bristol City off!

IF they win the play off final against Hull, that would be 2 promotions in 2 seasons!!!
- with form like that, they may rival Everton and Villa for a Uefa Cup spot next season...or at the very worst, they could try and take the intertoto spot off the lesser teams, like Sp*rs or Boro! :wink: :lol:

Belfast Boy

Post by Belfast Boy »

N17 Gooner wrote:2001 - 2002
Close but no cigar N17 it was 1988/89 - Boro the Shammers and the Geordies all went down and Chavs, Citeh and Palace came up and it remained so the following season and of course it was a red letter season for another reason also :barscarf:

N17 Gooner

Post by N17 Gooner »

Belfast Boy wrote:
N17 Gooner wrote:2001 - 2002
Close but no cigar N17 it was 1988/89 - Boro the Shammers and the Geordies all went down and Chavs, Citeh and Palace came up and it remained so the following season and of course it was a red letter season for another reason also :barscarf:

In 2001-02, Leicester city, Derby County and Ipswich Town were all relegated. None of them had been promoted the season before. Ipswich came close by coming up in 2000, but not 2001.

That means the three teams promoted in 2000 - 2001 were not relegated the next season.

EDIT: just seen the last bit of cusgeezers post. Fair enough.