I am a Roman Catholic

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
SWLGooner
Location: Islington Town Hall, applauding the fourth place trophy.

Post by SWLGooner »

That topic went down fast - not a pretty sight. Glad I went out for my dinner then! :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol:

Belfast Boy

Post by Belfast Boy »

Flippin 'eck No.5 what's with bein the drama queen all the time, and your present stance is totally contradictory to the one you took on the very recent "this is ridiculous" thread where you were sayin somethin about error messages :? or havin a go at peeps for tryin to get the forum shut down even tho they were only hinting at past events and havin the odd sly dig about pink pussies cos I certainly didn't see anything that anybody could use to close the whole place down, are you for censorship or not??? sorry matey but from the outside it seems you were lookin for an excuse to sign off!

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

:?

Have to say, it's your decision Number 5 but I hope you rethink.

Sorry for dragging this back up, but just to clarify (I can't on the thread in question because it's locked);

I posted early on in that locked thread and cracked a joke about how "gay" the spuds were acting. It was meant as a joke comment on the way the pictures were posed NOT any derogatory remark about homosexuals, so if I offended anyone by that being misconstrued then I apologise unreservedly; it was not meant to be offensive, it was meant to be a bit of fun a la the style of Graham Norton or the campness of the "Carry on" film sense of humour... :?

The later remarks about the holocaust were appalling though... :oops: :(

IbleedRED&WHITE

Post by IbleedRED&WHITE »

DB10GOONER wrote::?

Have to say, it's your decision Number 5 but I hope you rethink.

Sorry for dragging this back up, but just to clarify (I can't on the thread in question because it's locked);

I posted early on in that locked thread and cracked a joke about how "gay" the spuds were acting. It was meant as a joke comment on the way the pictures were posed NOT any derogatory remark about homosexuals, so if I offended anyone by that being misconstrued then I apologise unreservedly; it was not meant to be offensive, it was meant to be a bit of fun a la the style of Graham Norton or the campness of the "Carry on" film sense of humour... :?

The later remarks about the holocaust were appalling though... :oops: :(
Ditto why i posted it in the 1st place, it was just funny, got well out of hand.

Belfast Boy

Post by Belfast Boy »

Well just to make my position clear particularly to you IBR&W, I never had a problem with the original thread either cos IMO that would be taking PC too far as well but the references to the gassing of Jews was at best in poor taste and at worst, abhorrent, it's just not the sort of stuff we want to see on here cos it brings us all down into the gutter, and as somebody, think it was me old mate Gustus, pointed out, it's not as if we're that short on ammo to use against the Spuds that we need to stoop to that level anyway, in my book there is simply no justification regardless - end of!

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

I can't wait until 2048 now when under the freedom of information act that thread can be reopened and I can see what all the fuss is about. There will be more anticipation of this happening than JFK's file being opened I'd say!

Belfast Boy

Post by Belfast Boy »

It's not closed and hasn't been deleted Rodders, it's merely been locked to prevent that manner of debate from taking over the forum, as it's not what we're really here for!

IbleedRED&WHITE

Post by IbleedRED&WHITE »

Belfast Boy wrote:Well just to make my position clear particularly to you IBR&W, I never had a problem with the original thread either cos IMO that would be taking PC too far as well but the references to the gassing of Jews was at best in poor taste and at worst, abhorrent, it's just not the sort of stuff we want to see on here cos it brings us all down into the gutter, and as somebody, think it was me old mate Gustus, pointed out, it's not as if we're that short on ammo to use against the Spuds that we need to stoop to that level anyway, in my book there is simply no justification regardless - end of!
I know mate, i found some of the subsequent comments disgusting. I most definitley did not start that thread for that purpose. I started that to have a laugh at the spuds, left work, went to football training, logged back on and saw that all hell had broke lose!

Wayno

Post by Wayno »

I hope you stay Number 5 as I enjoy your posts. I considered leaving the forum many months back as it was going in a direction that was not to my liking, things have since improved and I believe that we are getting back to the fun place this forum used to be.

I dont agree with the locking of any thread, I believe that the majority of us are capable of avoiding stirring up such sensitive issues that are likely to offend others.

Gunner92 admitted that he made his comments to get a reaction, well he certainly got one, I think in future people would be better off ignoring such comments and not giving him the attention he was seeking.

26may1989

Post by 26may1989 »

Like others, I'd miss Number 5, but having caught up with the debate yesterday (I didn't realise it had all kicked off), I don't see what his problem is. I'm pretty impressed that the likes of Gus, Belfast Boy, Spud, Cockerill's Chin, Chippy, MizzNaughty and DanielD (as well as TS), several of whom (unlike me) are definitely not wooly liberals, pulled up the moronic comments of GE|2|2Y, Gooner92 and goonarmy.

gooner.ed
Site Admin

Post by gooner.ed »

ok -

tony saunders in his role as a mod locked the thread. i read it this morning and he did the right thing.

there is a lot of offence on the forum. sexism. homophobia. i'd have to live on here to stop that or just blanket ban 90% of the posters. some of it i can live with, some of it i would prefer not to read. but this is a football forum and what is said reflects what is said at football matches.

however, not that i condone the above, but some things are even more unacceptable in the context of this forum. using dead people for the purposes of winding up other forum members is not acceptable. racism is also something that will be rightly targeted. this is reflected in the club's own policy. let's face it, they rarely take action about ashley cole chants, but they do if someone sings racist chants.

this forum reflects that policy. the club do not condone homophobia, but do little about it. if enough forum members tell me they want homophobia and humour related to the idea of being homosexual clamped down upon, then it will be considered. at the moment, the feeling i get is that homophobia does not cause the same level of offence as racism. we even have gay members who partake in humour which is homophobic.

there is a lot of banter on the forum and a good deal of wind-up. just because something is a wind-up does not make it acceptable. if people want to post just to get a reaction do it with something that does not cross the line. using dead people in this way crosses the line. persistent repetition of what i have read in the offending thread will lead to a warning and then a ban. we have already banned one particular forum member for crossing the line with regard to using people not alive to respond in a very personal manner for the purposes of banter/wind up.

i don't spend as much time on the forum as i would like to, but if i am PM'd my email notifies me. so if I am required to step in, feel free to PM me. I am happy with the mods we have at the moment and their handling of situations such as these. although the original thread referred to is offensive, i will leave it for a time before deleting it - just so people can see what is and is not acceptable.

but to clarify - racism is unnacceptable, and using dead people for the purposes of winding up/getting a reaction is unaccepatable.

the thread was locked to stop the discussion as it was obvious by that point who had said what, why they had said it, what the majority thought about it and there was nothing further to add.

for those who do not like the way this forum operates, there are others. no-one is here by compulsion.

sermon over - let's try and avoid a repetition. we've not had a bad run over recent months, so let's try and keep it that way. there are lines which should not be crossed. if anyone is still unclear on that, PM me and I will attempt to explain further.

U.F.G Anfield '89

Post by U.F.G Anfield '89 »

personally i think it was absolutely right to lock the thread. while it was just a few that were making the offending remarks and the vast majority slagging them off such things still make us look bad, it wouldn't matter to any casual observer that most of the members were disgusted by the comments. for the last time the fact that our intellectually inferior, knuckle dragging shit football playing neighbours happen to call themselves **** is NOT carte blanche to make holocaust jokes.

racial aspect aside the reason why holocaust jokes are unacceptable is because you are laughing at human suffering on an unimaginable scale the most horrific crime of the 20th or any other century, a crime i might add that was not exclusively perpetrated against Jews. Slavs, Gypsies, Homosexuals, the Disabled and guess what number 5 even Roman Catholics were also murdered in their thousands by the nazi regime.

the point I am trying to make is that there is a line, it was crossed in that thread and Tony did absolutely the right thing in locking it. And if you can't see that maybe you've done the right thing in deciding to fuck off, perhaps there are others who should join you.

SWLGooner

Post by SWLGooner »

I just want to clarify my earlier post on this thread - I am entirely on the side of Gus, CHippy, MizzNaughty etc. and my post was specifically insulting Ramos.
gooner.ed is right, those sort of moronic racist comments are more suited to the scum down the road than us. That is some of the worst/mosst offensive racist stuff I have heard in a long time, including during apartheid. :evil:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Kevin, I think that was very well put and probably needed to be said (written :? ). Everybody knows where they stand now and what is not acceptable.

Also, UFG - very well put. You really made your point very well there mate. Good job.

As for the homophobia thing v the racism thing; I agree with Kev's point that homophobic jokes are not generally seen to be as offensive as racist jokes. I think this is because there is a rich vein and tradition of comedic humour based around being gay (and/or camp) in English culture and a lot of gay people (comedians, celebrities etc) tend to make jokes about being gay. I have a gay work mate that rips the piss out of being gay constantly for example. Whereas very few (for example) black people will make jokes that could be seen as being offensive about black people.

But, I've always said, if you offend one person, it's probably one too many...

SWLGooner

Post by SWLGooner »

Just going back over Number 5's post, he said
that he "really truley won't be back (non-Smoothy)"
What happened with Smoothie??? :shock: :?: :oops:
Sorry for newness...