Our central midfield

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Swale_Gooner1985

Our central midfield

Post by Swale_Gooner1985 »

While everyone has been moaning on about how we really need central midfielders and how short we are, has anyone looked at the options we actually have in this position and how different each player is a suited to different formation should we wish to use them?

Well i will save you the bother, here is a list of all our CENTRAL midfield options in the current squad!

Fabregas
Diaby
Denilson
Nasri
Eboue
Djourou
Rosicky.... if he ever comes back
Bischoff
Song

For those of you that arent good with Maths, thats 8 players

That leaves Fabregas and a choice of 7 others to partner him depending on the formation, opposition? My individual choice would be Song, think he is fantastic, but Eboue has proved he can do a job there, and also Denilson and Diaby are clearly class players with a lot of potential

Rosicky or Nasri have the ability to move infield too, especially pushed forward in a 4-5-1 formation with one of them on the left and the other supporting the forward?

I feel confident we have enough to get us through, both in squad depth and quality, im sure there will be those of you who dissagree but think i have put forward a decent argument here?

Postman

Post by Postman »

How many of those named would get in Chelsea or Uniteds midfield?

Goonanana

Re: Our central midfield

Post by Goonanana »

Swale_Gooner1985 wrote:
Fabregas
Diaby
Denilson
Nasri
Eboue
Djourou
Rosicky.... if he ever comes back
Bischoff
Song
Tin hats time!!!

Nasri = winger
Eboue = clown
Rosicky = injured winger
Diaby = injured / cannot tackle
Djourou = centre back
Bischoff = injured and played one game in the last 18 months
Song = centre back / average central midfielder

WE've also got Almunia, Clichy, Sagna, Van persie you didnt mention those, they'd fill in and do a job :roll:
Last edited by Goonanana on Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

barnfield88

Post by barnfield88 »

Postman wrote:How many of those named would get in Chelsea or Uniteds midfield?
WE ARE NOT CHELSEA OR MAN UNITED THOUGH.....

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Vieira, Petit, Edu, Gilberto.............those were the days. An embarrasment of riches. Oh for just one of those players today. A 23 year old Patrick Vieira would be first choice if I could clone a former player. Errrrm I feel a new thread coming on!

Postman

Post by Postman »

barnfield88 wrote:
Postman wrote:How many of those named would get in Chelsea or Uniteds midfield?
WE ARE NOT CHELSEA OR MAN UNITED THOUGH.....
But isn't that who we are meant to be competing with :banghead:

REB

Post by REB »

what a thread :shock:
for one thing the 8 names you mentioned bar nasri have all been here long enough to stake a claim but arent good enough,
eboue- :roll:
denilson-not good enough
diaby-yet to prove his worth
song- is he a defender or midfielder
nasri-not a cm
rosicky-not a cm
biscoff-never even played a first team game for bremen but is good enough for us :roll: thats how far backwards the club has gone when at one stage we had a midfield of world cup winners now we are getting small clubs reserve players, ih how the mighty have fallen :cry:

wengers knows, my arse

hanny73

Post by hanny73 »

No-one has mentioned Ramsey or Wilshere (although he is young we could integrate him slowly into the squad, Carling Cup etc)

RaM

Post by RaM »

Can I just make the point that a 'Central Midfielder' is not the same as a DEFENSIVE CENTRAL MIDFIELDER?

Just because a player can play in the centre of midfield, does not make them a CDM. Look at Fabregas! He can undoubtedly play in the centre, but defensive? No.

Goonanana

Post by Goonanana »

Ramsey yes but Wilshire is the most wingerest winger i have ever seen!!!!

There are apporximately 3000 players in the 5 top flight leagues in the world are you saying we can't find someone who plays as a chuffing central midfielder!!!

Swale_Gooner1985

Post by Swale_Gooner1985 »

rodders999 wrote:Vieira, Petit, Edu, Gilberto.............those were the days. An embarrasment of riches. Oh for just one of those players today. A 23 year old Patrick Vieira would be first choice if I could clone a former player. Errrrm I feel a new thread coming on!

Well we can all say that mate! erm... if we had Pele, Baresi, Garrincha, Maradonna and Zico all in their prime we would be fairly good!

I actually did forget about Ramsey, another option, well pointed out whoever did that!

And we are completely different to Man Utd and Chelsea, our players are nurtured the Arsenal way, which i think is great

LOVE DOING THINGS THE ARSENAL WAY! HOPE IT CONTINUES! :barscarf:

green gooner

Post by green gooner »

Eboue has proved he can do a job there - What the fuck are you on Swale :shock: Yes he may do the job of lining the pitch or cutting grass but he sure as pussy is a cat can't play football :roll:

it is blind, loyal stupidity like that remark that allows Wenger to run this once proud club into the ground.

I am looking forward to the next transfer window with blind, loyal, stupid optimism :x