Why isn't Roy Keane considered foreign?

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Deise Gooner

Post by Deise Gooner »

RossieGooner wrote:
Ade the Daddy wrote:
Im none of the above yet i support what he did. A shit training pitch, no balls ffs and a shit attitude of "we will give it a go". As he would say. fail to prepare, prepare to fail :lol:
He cant even take credit for that one - his exboss rednose was the one that first uttered that "gem" .......

So, he decides to throw the toys out of the pram and piss off home? Why didnt the rest of them do it? They didnt cos they were there to represent their country, and if there were hiccups along the way they were prepared to put up with it in order to represent their country.
He was sent home by the wasters in the FAI and McCarthy. He was the only one with pride in his country as he wanted Ireland to do aswell as they could in the world cup and he didnt feel that that was going to happen with the way their preparation had been set up.

pixie

Post by pixie »

Ade the Daddy wrote:
RossieGooner wrote:
Ade the Daddy wrote:
Im none of the above yet i support what he did. A shit training pitch, no balls ffs and a shit attitude of "we will give it a go". As he would say. fail to prepare, prepare to fail :lol:
He cant even take credit for that one - his exboss rednose was the one that first uttered that "gem" .......

So, he decides to throw the toys out of the pram and piss off home? Why didnt the rest of them do it? They didnt cos they were there to represent their country, and if there were hiccups along the way they were prepared to put up with it in order to represent their country.
He was sent home by the wasters in the FAI and McCarthy. He was the only one with pride in his country as he wanted Ireland to do aswell as they could in the world cup and he didnt feel that that was going to happen with the way their preparation had been set up.
Really? I understood he was called to a team meeting which ended in a slanging match with Keane hurling all manner of abuse at McCarthy. With the inevitable result of Keane being sent home. No manager would tolerate that.

RossieGooner

Post by RossieGooner »

So, if we feel that we aint gonna win the league this year we just pull out ?

I dont think so .

RaM

Post by RaM »

Is Roy Keane British? NO!!

Ireland is as foreign a country as Uzbekistan!

Sure Ireland and England have a close relationship with each other but they're certainly not the same thing.

Australia and New Zealand have a pretty similar relationship. Millions of Kiwis come over here to work/travel/live and many Aussies do the opposite. There are Kiwi teams in the National Rugby League competition and in the A-League football competition.

But you will NEVER hear someone say that a Kiwi in Australia or an Aussie in New Zealand is not a foreigner.

REB

Post by REB »

bloody saipan :roll:
quick point, keane found out just how bad the fai were that time, no pitch and we were suppose to be preparing for a world cup :roll:
yes he lost the head but only because he was a professional and wanted to win,
you wont find many in cork moaning about roy keane ( me included )as he does a lot of charity work back home and is considered a hero, the rest of the country might be divided about him and were back during the world cup but most can see his point

RaM

Post by RaM »

you wont find many in cork moaning about roy keane ( me included )as he does a lot of charity work back home and is considered a hero, the rest of the country might be divided about him and were back during the world cup but most can see his point
He does charity work for a guide dogs association doesn't he? My grandfather's friend is an optometrist and a friend of Keane. Thats how I have a fair few signed pieces of memorabilia from Roy. :barscarf:

REB

Post by REB »

he does ram and in cork you wont hear a bad word said about him,
and rodders i was brought up in mayfield :lol:
his brother was in my class :?

Chippy

Post by Chippy »

The thing is Ireland did well out there, only missing the quarter finals on penalties. Imagine what they might have done if they had had arguably their best player. :banghead:

REB

Post by REB »

and that's one of the reasons he divides the country so,
the team flew economy and the brass flew first class, they arrived in japan and had to train on a rock pitch and then the players were going on the lash instead of treating the world cup with respect and that's when keane lost it, he's a winner always has been and always will be,
i agree he shouldnt have walked away the way he did but some one had to make a stand and he was the only one who wasn't gutless enough just to tow the party line,

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

REBEL GOONER wrote:he does ram and in cork you wont hear a bad word said about him,

Surely not the legend that is Johnson??? He's nearly as famous as his brother thanks to Radio Roy on gift grub!!

26may1989

Post by 26may1989 »

Interesting to see the different Irish views about Keane at the World Cup. The fact that the Irish did well after he left just underlines the importance of the team ethic - Keane was probably the RoI's only world class player but they thrived without him.

Unlike a lot of non-United fans, I have a lot of respect for Keane's ability as a player, and he's also doing a decent job as manager. But the Korea thing is another story.

However shit the FAI and MacCarthy were, and I'm sure they were deeply shit, and however much it was motivated by a desire to do as well as possible, Keane's strop looked very poor to me. It was a classic Dutch-style I-know-best bit of melodrama. If Keane really cared about Ireland, he would have sucked up whatever crap preparations and coaching were on offer, and do his best for his teammates and his country. He could have bitched about it all afterwards, but behaving that way was self-indulgent. Did Ireland get the chance to call up a replacement?

But hey, if some people in Ireland are happy to go along with that sort of behaviour, no prob by me, it is after all another country. But I wonder what Keane the manager would think of a Sunderland player being as egotistical as he was on that occasion.

RaM

Post by RaM »

The Irish could have done much better if Keane had played. They were so close to beating the Spanish and from there I think they would have played Korea, which was a winnable game.

If only Ian Harte had scored that penalty in normal time... :(

Personally I really like Keane, have enormous respect for him.

rocky7

Post by rocky7 »

gus ceasar is a legend wrote:My understanding of it tis that Engerland, Wales and Scotland forn the United Kingdom.

Engeeeeerland, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland form Great Britain.

Happy to be corrected though.
Other way around mate. The United Kingdom is a country that consists of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. In fact, the official name of the country is "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland".

Yes Irish is technically foreign, but I guess they are not perceived as truely foreign as they are close neighbours, speak our language and possibly our similar cultures?

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

I think that Irish players and mangers are not considered foreign, because in Sport, sports people from all over Britain and Ireland have long competed in the same sporting arena.

A fair chunk of Arsenal's founding team were Scots.

The Horse racing community is very much comprised of British and Irish owners, trainers and jockeys, and the calendar takes into account races on both sides of the Irish sea.

Boxing has always had a lot of Irish fighters. So much so that Irish fighters can fight for British titles, and British fighters can fight for "Celtic Titles" if they are from Ireland, Scotland, Wales, or are English with ancestry from any of those countries.

Steve Collins was part of a middleweight/super-middleweight quartet with Nigel Benn, Chris Eubank and Michael Watson.
Not that Collins denied his nationality, but those four were very much seen as the home grown fighters (despite Eubank and Collins having based themselves in the USA for their early careers) taking on the American fighters.

Similar with Keane. Of course he is Irish, but he played in the main for Nottingham Forest and Manchester United, and is a major character in the domestic game.

REB

Post by REB »

rodders999 wrote:
REBEL GOONER wrote:he does ram and in cork you wont hear a bad word said about him,

Surely not the legend that is Johnson??? He's nearly as famous as his brother thanks to Radio Roy on gift grub!!
yeah the same :shock: :lol: