THE NORTHBANKBREN TV SHOW THREAD

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
GoonerMuzz

Re: THE NORTHBANKBREN TV SHOW THREAD

Postby GoonerMuzz » Thu May 16, 2019 1:38 pm

Watched the first episode of Chernobyl on Sky Atlantic/Now TV last week and it is shaping up to be an interesting drama, second episode is out now too. Obviously pretty dark subject material but first episode was, in my opinion, eye opening and gives a real insight into the Soviet system and the denial and blind obedience involved.

November_SSN

Postby November_SSN » Fri May 31, 2019 7:46 pm

Eh, I've read an historian's review of the series (and by "historian", I don't mean "some internet guy that likes history", I mean "someone who wrote his 300 page Ph.D research about the Chernobyl catastrophe") and, although inspired from real facts and using real characters, the series is - according to him, that is - a load of crap.
For example, that guy who "hid his cassettes behind the trash to escape the KGB" never hid his cassettes and kept them at home, sometimes asking for external help to add more content to the recordings. The guys "going to the roof with guns aimed at their back" went by themselves even if they knew it would mean their doom - with, as a bonus point, the fact that there were NO soldiers at the nuclear power plant at this point in time. The moment when people came to the bridge to watch the plant burning is bollocks as well, as everyone in Pripyat was either working at the plant, or a relative of one of the plant's workers, and everyone was familiar with the dangers of radiation.

DB10GOONER

Postby DB10GOONER » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:21 pm

Eh, I've read an historian's review of the series (and by "historian", I don't mean "some internet guy that likes history", I mean "someone who wrote his 300 page Ph.D research about the Chernobyl catastrophe") and, although inspired from real facts and using real characters, the series is - according to him, that is - a load of crap.
For example, that guy who "hid his cassettes behind the trash to escape the KGB" never hid his cassettes and kept them at home, sometimes asking for external help to add more content to the recordings. The guys "going to the roof with guns aimed at their back" went by themselves even if they knew it would mean their doom - with, as a bonus point, the fact that there were NO soldiers at the nuclear power plant at this point in time. The moment when people came to the bridge to watch the plant burning is bollocks as well, as everyone in Pripyat was either working at the plant, or a relative of one of the plant's workers, and everyone was familiar with the dangers of radiation.
You are aware of the concept of "artistic licence" right? :lol: :wink:

I believe this program is a drama and not a documentary.....

If you've seen the Hollywood movie "Lone Survivor" and read the actual non fiction book you'd have to spend a week pointing out the discrepancies! :wink:

goonersid

Postby goonersid » Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:37 pm

Watched the wilder people on film 4 last nite!
Had never heard of it , brilliant film!

OneBardGooner

Postby OneBardGooner » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:03 pm

Just watched "When They see Us" on Netflix, the telling of True Events, not easy watching in places, but still highly recommended. (4 episodes).

OneBardGooner

Postby OneBardGooner » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:47 pm

If anyone hasn't seen this wonderful Politico Comedy "The Thick Of It" written by Armando Iannucci - I cannot recommend it highly enough...HUGELY Funny and Acerbic and considering the current state of British Politics - Is Bang ON The Nail, when it comes to Politicians and Central Government

It's on the BBC iPlayer (in the UK) also on NetflixUk at the moment, be prepared to Laugh Out Loud

link to BBC iPlayer:

Series 1 Episode 1:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b ... -episode-1

:D

Return to “The Cannonballs”