THE FRANKSAV MUSIC THREAD

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Re: THE FRANKSAV MUSIC THREAD

Post by StuartL »

Going to see Foo Fighters at Olympic Stadium Friday 22nd, never seen them before so very much looking forward to it.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Rugby Gooner wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:08 pm
How cool are Steely Dan? Seriously, how fucking coooool are Steely Dan!?
Currently getting pleasantly pissed to a soundtrack of a double, "best of," cd that I aquired in Sainsburys for mere 5 English pounds! :cheers:
One of the best song writing partnerships in modern music...the music, the rhythms, the lyrics All TOTAL CLASS!.

I went to see them on their first UK Tour in 74 in Bristol - They were awesome - Michael McDonald on backing Vocals with Denny Diaz and Skunk Baxter sharing the guitar roles... 8)

Rugby Gooner

Post by Rugby Gooner »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:27 pm
Rugby Gooner wrote:
Currently getting pleasantly pissed to a soundtrack of a double, "best of," cd that I aquired in Sainsburys for mere 5 English pounds! :cheers:
One of the best song writing partnerships in modern music...the music, the rhythms, the lyrics All TOTAL CLASS!.

I went to see them on their first UK Tour in 74 in Bristol - They were awesome - Michael McDonald on backing Vocals with Denny Diaz and Skunk Baxter sharing the guitar roles... 8)
Good Skills Onebard! :barscarf: :bowing21: :stearmaster: :cheers:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Rugby Gooner wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:25 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:27 pm
Rugby Gooner wrote:

Good Skills Onebard! :barscarf: :bowing21: :stearmaster: :cheers:
:D 8) It was fuckin' Epic mate ... After the gig we ended up going to this open after hours stop on bar till 5am then got the train straight to college ... fell asleep in a lecture and woke up and went on a Steely Dan Best Live Band bender ... one of my mates in college ho also went to the gig was a HUGE Todd Rundgren fan - got shyte faced and had a Steely Dan tattoo done on his left arm .. He was as mad as a box of frogs ( actually he was Oirish!) those were the days ..

Talking of which this album came out that same (vintage) year...

phpBB [video]

:drunk: :ihh: 8)

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Been trying to get my head and digits around this for nigh on 2 months now...that stretch at 1:07+ is soooooooooooo difficult I need new (longer) fingers :?

phpBB [video]

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:58 pm
Been trying to get my head and digits around this for nigh on 2 months now...that stretch at 1:07+ is soooooooooooo difficult I need new (longer) fingers :?

phpBB [video]
It's only a five fret stretch ffs.... and across small frets. You wanna try that on an Ibanez with wide jumbo frets..... you Ewoks and your tiny hands.... :roll:

:D :wink:

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Foo Fighters were awesome, bit it’s the only time I can remember being called Mother fuckers and arseholes by the guy who we had spent £77 per ticket to go and see ( I’m sure it just his little way )

Went to Hyde Park on Saturday for Bruno Mars and others who I had no idea who they were......not my thing but my 2 girls enjoyed themselves as did my partner - was very well organised and they have some big names there over the 4 weeks or so it’s up, so will look out for next years acts with interest.

storrmin571

Post by storrmin571 »

Iron Maiden coming up in August, then think its gig free until November when i go and see the legend Phil Campbell from Motorhead play.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:26 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:

phpBB [video]
It's only a five fret stretch ffs.... and across small frets. You wanna try that on an Ibanez with wide jumbo frets..... you Ewoks and your tiny hands.... :roll:

:x Oi! don't dis my guitar playing! You electric geetar players are all the same shred this shred that - Pah :roll: :wink: " easy peasy - Try it on an acoustic. :shock: Besides it's barred on the 2nd fret with a full stretch to the sixth and the frets ain't narrow..though I'll admit the neck is premium narrow/thin.

Seriously though Can you play this?

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:53 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:

phpBB [video]

:x Oi! don't dis my guitar playing! You electric geetar players are all the same shred this shred that - Pah :roll: :wink: " easy peasy - Try it on an acoustic. :shock: Besides it's barred on the 2nd fret with a full stretch to the sixth and the frets ain't narrow..though I'll admit the neck is premium narrow/thin.

Yup. The trick to long fret stretches is to slightly roll one finger off the fret bar you are leaving and slightly roll the next finger onto the fret bar you are moving to. You have to do it carefully though or you get a rolling hammer-on effect that can sound out of place. Takes a bit of practice.

I play a lot of acoustic especially on a steel string classical guitar as well as shredding the electric. :wink:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:49 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:53 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:

phpBB [video]

Yup. The trick to long fret stretches is to slightly roll one finger off the fret bar you are leaving and slightly roll the next finger onto the fret bar you are moving to. You have to do it carefully though or you get a rolling hammer-on effect that can sound out of place. Takes a bit of practice.

I play a lot of acoustic especially on a steel string classical guitar as well as shredding the electric. :wink:
:shock: :shock: :shock:

:bowing21: :high5: :-D

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Just watched the documentary about the final Black Sabbath gig ever "The End of the end".

Brilliant. A mix of live footage, behind the scenes stuff, and interviews. The Sabs still sound amazing live - especially for a bunch of blokes in and around their 70's. 8)

People talk about Zeppelin and Hendrix and Steppenwolf creating heavy metal. They didn't. They helped create hard rock - but Sabbath created metal. When you listen to their stuff from the 70s and 80s you can hear so many bands they influenced from Metallica to Motorhead to Avenged Sevenfold.

There's one part where Tony Iommi just walks out between songs and crunches out a few heavy chords and the pure raw sound of it made the hair on my neck stand on end. It was everything a distorted electric guitar is meant to be. 8)

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

8)

Where can I find it (End of the End?) - If it's on Sly TV I'm bolloxed cos I don't have it (Sky / TV) watch everything on my PC now. :?

I remember going to see Sabbaff :wink: on the Volume 4 Tour - I'd been in bed with real bad flu for almost a week and my mate said I looked liked death and suggested he sell my ticket.

I crawled to the gig.. and by the end of the second song "Tomorrow's Dream" - I was fuckin' "Healed" - went out after the gig (having sweated all the evil-flu out of my system) - had a ruby, 3 pints with whisky chasers ..

Woke up the next morning feeling 100% fine except for the ringing in my ears which last for about 3 days .

But Yeah! Sabbath Invented / Created Heavy Metal and so it is and ever shall be.

Aaaah! <sigh> Those were the days before Marriage / Kids / Debts / Divorce etc etc :? :barscarf:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:28 pm
8)

Where can I find it (End of the End?) - If it's on Sly TV I'm bolloxed cos I don't have it (Sky / TV) watch everything on my PC now. :?

I remember going to see Sabbaff :wink: on the Volume 4 Tour - I'd been in bed with real bad flu for almost a week and my mate said I looked liked death and suggested he sell my ticket.

I crawled to the gig.. and by the end of the second song "Tomorrow's Dream" - I was fuckin' "Healed" - went out after the gig (having sweated all the evil-flu out of my system) - had a ruby, 3 pints with whisky chasers ..

Woke up the next morning feeling 100% fine except for the ringing in my ears which last for about 3 days .

But Yeah! Sabbath Invented / Created Heavy Metal and so it is and ever shall be.

Aaaah! <sigh> Those were the days before Marriage / Kids / Debts / Divorce etc etc :? :barscarf:
Sorry dude only on Sky that I've seen.

I've seen the Sabs live on numerous occasions with both Ozzy and and the sadly missed Ronnie Dio and once infamously with Ian Gillan singing on the Born Again tour when they fucked off the entire media presence by playing a brilliant version of Smoke on the Water. :lol:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:50 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:28 pm
8)

Sorry dude only on Sky that I've seen.

I've seen the Sabs live on numerous occasions with both Ozzy and and the sadly missed Ronnie Dio and once infamously with Ian Gillan singing on the Born Again tour when they fucked off the entire media presence by playing a brilliant version of Smoke on the Water. :lol:
Sadly I didn't get to see them with Ronnie James Dio - I remember thinking no-one could replace Ozzy - Then hearing a pre-release of Neon Knights on the Friday Night Rock Show with (again :cry: ) the late Tommy Vance and being an instant convert - Didn't get to see them with Gillan - But recall him telling the story of the Stonehenge set being too big for some of the venues on the tour (cue Spinal Tap!) :wink:

ps: I'm hoping someone will post the End of the End on YT soon...just have to be patient :cry: