Footballer apologizes for BNP vote!

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
Natural Born Gooner

Footballer apologizes for BNP vote!

Post by Natural Born Gooner »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... ds-newsxml

Feel free to put in The Basement but thought it was interesting!!

Should he have been suspended for 2 games for voting for the BNP?

I'm not saying he should have voted for them and am totally against what they stand for, but surely he shouldn't be forced from work for democratically voting in the election! :?

BournemouthRED

Post by BournemouthRED »

if i had voted bnp would i have got two days off work? :lol:

augie

Post by augie »

Democracy is all well and good but he is voting for a well known racist party which in effect is condoning all forms of racism - if you were a black team-mate of his would you feel comfortable in the dressing room with somebody sharing those views ?

Reg Niseth

Post by Reg Niseth »

augie wrote:Democracy is all well and good but he is voting for a well known racist party which in effect is condoning all forms of racism - if you were a black team-mate of his would you feel comfortable in the dressing room with somebody sharing those views ?
then let them sort it out in the car park. This country is proud of it's freedom of speech and right to vote. The moment an 'official' body starts to penalise someone 'cos they don't agree with their views, they are acting no better thean the Nazis.

Bergkamp-Genius

Post by Bergkamp-Genius »

Bit like smoking i'm afraid, they won't ban it, but they are only too happy to make you a pariah for doing it..
In the west our countries are free and we have freedom of choice... but if your personal choice doesn't fit in with what the pc brigade deem acceptable, you will be bullied into doing what is acceptable to them..we are not quite as free and democratic as we like to kid ourselves..

augie

Post by augie »

Reg Niseth wrote:
augie wrote:Democracy is all well and good but he is voting for a well known racist party which in effect is condoning all forms of racism - if you were a black team-mate of his would you feel comfortable in the dressing room with somebody sharing those views ?
then let them sort it out in the car park. This country is proud of it's freedom of speech and right to vote. The moment an 'official' body starts to penalise someone 'cos they don't agree with their views, they are acting no better thean the Nazis.

Tell me what sort of a settlement can you see coming from that which would be viewed as acceptable to all parties ? :? Please do not lump me in with the pc brigade either cos I am anything but and if anything I am one of the strongest opponents of the pc brigade but I just happen to feel that racism is totally wrong in any form.

Natural Born Gooner

Post by Natural Born Gooner »

Tbh, i'd have been looking forward to being on the opposing side of his during 5 a side training the next day. He wouldn't have been needed to be suspended for those 2 games. :twisted:

Makes me wonder though, what parties would other English footballers vote for :?: (Johnathan Woodgate anyone...... :hmmthink: )

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

I'm confused. Was he suspended for voting BNP, or was he already suspended for the Cardiff game, and just asked to apologise?

Because IF he has been banned for voting in a democratic election, then that's just ridiculous - surely if the BNP are legally allowed to form a party and enter an election, then surely it should be illegal to suspend someone for voting for them regardless of what we may think of them??

Bring Back Pires

Post by Bring Back Pires »

Nearly 600,000 people voted for BNP in the most recent general election.

Were they all suspended from work too?

djhdjh

Post by djhdjh »

As far as I understand this story he was suspended because by announcing that he had voted BNP in a dressing room with some very significant black players and staff he managed to cause some serious discontent. The causing discontent was the problem not the voting which is his right if somewhat abhorrent.

GoonerJim

Post by GoonerJim »

In a democracy he can vote for whoever the hell he wants however fucked up their policies are.
He was rather stupid boasting about it though!

Martin Hayes

Post by Martin Hayes »

Sorry, but 'PC', whatever that actually refers to, has nothing to do with the BNP, who are racist, immoral and dangerous.

xDAVEYx

Post by xDAVEYx »

banned for exercising his right to democracy, thats fucking shameful. i disagree with bnp policy an all levels and heckle those pushing that policy in the street, but even publishing the clubs action in the public domain is essentially condoning the withholding of free speech.

reasoning and democracy will (ideally) rid us of the griffin menace, not punishing someone for voting for them :banghead:

REB

Post by REB »

its a free election so he was free to vote for whoever he liked. wouldnt be my choice but thats democracy..

Exiled-Gooner

Post by Exiled-Gooner »

Disgusting that a football club took this action,regardless of who he voted for it was his democratic right.Leicester have commited discrimination itself and wouldn't be surprised if the player took legal action.

A sad state of affairs!!