THE GOONERSID BOOK THREAD

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
SammyDroppedHisShorts
Location: In front of the best fans on earth. The Arse and all.

Post by SammyDroppedHisShorts »

Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks is a harrowing book written about a character who fought in the First World War. Its awesome read and one of my favourite pieces of Literature.

When i did my degree in English Language and Linguistics, i found the books offered to study were poor, so i made a point of reading as much as possible to help with my studies.

I am currently reading With the Old Breed at Peleliu and Okinawa written by Eugene Sledge. Those of you who watched The Pacific will be familar with Sledge. Also reading Helmet for my Pillow by Robert Leckie. Both books are awesome.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

SammyDroppedHisShorts wrote:
I am currently reading With the Old Breed at Peleliu and Okinawa written by Eugene Sledge. Those of you who watched The Pacific will be familar with Sledge. Also reading Helmet for my Pillow by Robert Leckie. Both books are awesome.
Read them both years ago and they are two of the best books to come out of WWII.

Have you read Stalingrad by Antony Beever? Fantastic book.

marcengels

Post by marcengels »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Read them both years ago and they are two of the best books to come out of WWII.

Stalingrad mate.... :cheers: :box:

RaM

Post by RaM »

I bought Paradise Lost by John ****** today. :barscarf:

Started reading it in my final year of school (almost 2 years ago now :shock: ) but was reading it online and just couldn't suffer staring at the computer screen long enough to read the whole thing.

Did find one of my favourite quotes in literature in it to use in my major work though. :wink:

[quote]“The dismal Situation waste and wilde,
A Dungeon horrible, on all sides round
As one great Furnace flam'd, yet from those flames
No light, but rather darkness visible
Serv'd onely to discover sights of woe,
Regions of sorrow, doleful shades, where peace
And rest can never dwell, hope never comes
That comes to all; but torture without endâ€

SammyDroppedHisShorts

DB10GOONER wrote:

Yes fantastic book and anything around that period of war has to be read....fook the Septics in my opinion the war was won on the Russian front

SammyDroppedHisShorts

[quote="RaM"]I bought Paradise Lost by John ****** today. :barscarf:

Started reading it in my final year of school (almost 2 years ago now :shock: ) but was reading it online and just couldn't suffer staring at the computer screen long enough to read the whole thing.

Did find one of my favourite quotes in literature in it to use in my major work though. :wink:

Last edited by SammyDroppedHisShorts on Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Captain Fabregas

Post by Captain Fabregas »

How do people find time to bother to read books? I've only read 3 novels in my life lol...MacBeth, To Kill A Mockingbird and Catcher In The Rye. :(

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Captain Fabregas wrote:How do people find time to bother to read books? I've only read 3 novels in my life lol...MacBeth, To Kill A Mockingbird and Catcher In The Rye. :(
That's why so many of you young fuckers are so dumb... :-P :wink:

RaM

Post by RaM »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Captain Fabregas wrote:How do people find time to bother to read books? I've only read 3 novels in my life lol...MacBeth, To Kill A Mockingbird and Catcher In The Rye. :(
That's why so many of you young fuckers are so dumb... :-P :wink:
He's right. :cry:

I'm disgusted by my own generation and their lack of respect for the great literature of the past.

RaM

Post by RaM »

[quote="SammyDroppedHisShorts"][quote="RaM"]I bought Paradise Lost by John ****** today. :barscarf:

Gooner_Sam

Post by Gooner_Sam »

Ah you're an English student :-P

I read Great Gatsby, of mice and men & Catcher in the rye

..This year i read pride and prejudice, the book is actually okay but the best thing about it was watching the Keira Knightley film :wink:

SammyDroppedHisShorts

Gooner_Sam wrote:

..This year i read pride and prejudice, the book is actually okay but the best thing about it was watching the Keira Knightley film :wink:
The link between JD Salinger and John Lennon is a chiller....

Catcher in the Rye was a book i read after the death of Lennon....
Still have no idea how it got Mark Chapman to pull the trigger....
Last edited by SammyDroppedHisShorts on Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SammyDroppedHisShorts

MacBeth aye, not my favourite Willie Shakes, that has to be As You Like It
Harper Lee was an ace writer and Atticus Finch one of my all time favourite characters.
Catcher is a bit frustrating to read some what a book that needs to put down

Captain Fabregas

Post by Captain Fabregas »

Gooner_Sam wrote:

ahh shit yeah i've read pride and prejudice aswell, that's 4 books now :P i remember i had to go out and buy the dvd ha. Yeah...all the books i've read were for english gcse like 4 years ago.

Never read mice and men, remember they gave that to the kids in the lower sets ;)

Gooner_Sam

Post by Gooner_Sam »

Captain Fabregas wrote:
Gooner_Sam wrote:

ahh shit yeah i've read pride and prejudice aswell, that's 4 books now :P i remember i had to go out and buy the dvd ha. Yeah...all the books i've read were for english gcse like 4 years ago.

Never read mice and men, remember they gave that to the kids in the lower sets ;)

I was in set two yeah :wink: .. (out of 5 sets)