THE GOONERSID BOOK THREAD

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

RaM wrote:
olgitgooner wrote:Word.

Any Stephen King fans out there........move on up to Dean Koontz. 8)
I've read one of Dean Koontz's books - Phantoms (I think... :? ) but wasn't as good as Stephen King's work.

For me someone comparable to Stephen King within the same 'genre' is Peter Straub.

I've read 'Floating Dragon' by Straub and really liked it. He has written collaborations with Stephen King in the past too, I've read 'The Talisman' which was co-written by King and Straub and its another good novel.
Agreed. 8)

Bendtners Drinking Buddy

Post by Bendtners Drinking Buddy »

xDAVEYx wrote:my 3 favourite books are:

[[b]b]THE GODFATHER - Mario Puzo: bear in mind how good the film is, then imagine SO much more depth. Puzo adapted the book for the screen himself, a real quality read.[/b][/b]CAPTAIN CORRELLI'S MANDOLIN - Louis de Bernières: ignore the film of this one, its shite. the book is beautifully written with a slow, consistent flow and some great character development and some good laughs (if you've got a dark sense of humour like me) and some really sad, provocative bits. i end up reading it pretty much every summer, love it.

FATHERLAND - Robert Harris: alternate history of post-war europe, crime thriller with some great tension and a fantastic ending. must have read it about 4 or 5 times since i was at school and my teacher recommended it to me. great insight into the future intended by the hitler regime with some subtle criticism of it and some heavy cynicism from the main character who is cool as fuck.

notable mention to Robert Heinlein's STARSHIP TROOPERS (again, the film is a somewhat poor adaptation) but it's quite a short book. also, dont knock then lord of the rings books and the hobbit, they are easy reading and very entertaining if you approach them in a less cynical way in which you pass comment on the arsenal :wink:

Most concur with this, i read the Godfather book on Holiday a few years ago having not seen the film(s) (i think i was the only person in the western world that hadnt :oops: ) - the book was fucking awesome.

My favourite Sporting books have been big TA's, Perry Groves, Lance Armstrongs.

A fucking great read is Ricky Tomlinson (Jim Royles) autobiography, before being an actor he was a Docker Protester, went to jail, went bankrupt and then even had to put his own son in a mental home. He has has one interesting life that fella!

MM99

Post by MM99 »

RaM wrote:
QuartzGooner wrote:RAM

Not sure if you realise, but some of the reaction to Icke over here is because of how he started out.

He was goalkeeper for Coventry City, then most of us remeber him as presenting the "Football Focus" section of Grandstand which 15 years ago was the sports programme to watch on a Saturday at about 12.30 just before you left to go to Highbury.

Then he vanished from our screens, and pops up in a purple shellsuit talking about how world leaders are actually reptiles!

Crazy books, worth a look, but take with a pinch of salt.
Of course. As I said I know nothing about the guy.

From what i have gleaned though, I agree in essence with what he says about people needing to take an interest in their world. Having read the likes of Orwell, Huxley, Zamyatin and Burgess I certainly believe it is lamentable that so few people know so little, and what little they do know is gained by taking the media's word as fact.
Fantastic books, all of them. Especially We and 1984.

Anyone read The Day of the Jackal? Seems like an interesting plot line and have just ordered it from Amazon.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

MM99 wrote:
RaM wrote:

Not sure if you realise, but some of the reaction to Icke over here is because of how he started out.

He was goalkeeper for Coventry City, then most of us remeber him as presenting the "Football Focus" section of Grandstand which 15 years ago was the sports programme to watch on a Saturday at about 12.30 just before you left to go to Highbury.

Then he vanished from our screens, and pops up in a purple shellsuit talking about how world leaders are actually reptiles!

From what i have gleaned though, I agree in essence with what he says about people needing to take an interest in their world. Having read the likes of Orwell, Huxley, Zamyatin and Burgess I certainly believe it is lamentable that so few people know so little, and what little they do know is gained by taking the media's word as fact.

Anyone read The Day of the Jackal? Seems like an interesting plot line and have just ordered it from Amazon.
Yep, good read. Better than the two movies based on it.

MM99

Post by MM99 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
MM99 wrote:
RaM wrote:

Yeah, the books always tend to be much better than their movie counterparts, don't they?
One of the reasons why i never watch a film of a book that i've liked, ruins it for me.

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

MM99 wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

Yeah, the books always tend to be much better than their movie counterparts, don't they?
One of the reasons why i never watch a film of a book that i've liked, ruins it for me.
Been trying to think of a film that was at least as good if not better than the book. The Exorcist or Jaws ??????

MM99

Post by MM99 »

goonersid wrote:
MM99 wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

Been trying to think of a film that was at least as good if not better than the book. The Exorcist or Jaws ??????
The only one i can think of, and only because it has been mentioned on this thread, is the Godfather. Great movie to go with a great book.
But you're right, you'd be hard pressed to find many other films which do their counterparts justice.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

MM99 wrote:
goonersid wrote:
MM99 wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

The only one i can think of, and only because it has been mentioned on this thread, is the Godfather. Great movie to go with a great book.
But you're right, you'd be hard pressed to find many other films which do their counterparts justice.
Agreed. I'd add Jaws as well. And I think Misery captured that slow burning sense of dread that Stephen King portrayed so well in the novel.

Hard to think of films that matched the books alright... probably Catch 22 came close.

franksav63
Location: Home - Whitechapel - Arsenal Block 6 - Twitter - @franksav63

Post by franksav63 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
MM99 wrote:
goonersid wrote:
MM99 wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

Agreed. I'd add Jaws as well. And I think Misery captured that slow burning sense of dread that Stephen King portrayed so well in the novel.

Hard to think of films that matched the books alright... probably Catch 22 came close.
Hmmm... I don't think the film did the book justice imo, although it was a very hard book to transfer to film. :?

RaM

Post by RaM »

I haven't read the novel, but a lot of people seem to agree that One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest is better as a film than as a book.

A rare exception.

marcengels

Post by marcengels »

RaM wrote:I haven't read the novel, but a lot of people seem to agree that One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest is better as a film than as a book.

A rare exception.
Interesting.

I didn't get to the end of the book. I was reading it, but then a mate of mine convinced me that I was spending too much time on it, and that I should get out more - so I picked up the TV, and chucked it threw the lounge window, climbed out and ran.

:D :wink:

RoscommonGooner

Post by RoscommonGooner »

MM99 wrote: Yeah, the books always tend to be much better than their movie counterparts, don't they?
The reason for this is simple, after you finish a book you have already seen the movie- in your head- and in fairness nobody is going to better what you have already created :proudtosay:

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

MM99 wrote:
Read all the Forsythe spy books.

All except one were excellent, which was "The Afghan" which is a good book but loses momentum.

I reckon "Fist Of G-D" is the best.

12thGooner

Post by 12thGooner »

I'm currently reading Kafke's The Trial..

anyone who's enjoyed 1984 will love this book. Its 1984's evil twin big brother..

euphoricone

Post by euphoricone »

4 books in the past 2 months have caught my attention

1)Ruth newman---Twisted wing. (DEBUT BOOK)
2)Dean Kootz---Phantoms, after reading i downloaded the movie and it was fun to see my imagination come to life.
3)Ben Mezrich---Bringing down the house--Interesting .
4)Christopher ransom---The birthing house. ( a bit complicated, just okay)

I am about to read one more of dean koontz book, something to do with an aircrash, and a person meant to be on that plane is later seen alive or something like that.