THE GOONERSID BOOK THREAD

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
U.F.G Anfield '89

Post by U.F.G Anfield '89 »

Pretty much anything by John LeCarre but especially Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.

I've recently read I am America and so can you by Stephen Colbert, very funny.

most of my favourite stuff is pretty well known but here are some recommendations that you may not have heard of.

The good soldier Svejk by Jaroslav Hasek
The various adventures of a seemingly dim witted czech soldier in the first world war who manages to get out of going to the front lines through sheer incompetence. an unfinished masterpiece, Hasek died while writing it, but don't let that put you off each chapter is a self contained story in it's own right.

The Analyst by John Katzenbach
a psychiatrist is contacted by a psychopath that calls himself "Rumplestiltskin" who claims that the psychiatrist ruined his life. He has 1 week to either find out who Rumplestiltskin is or kill himself, if he doesn't do either of these things his family will be killed. Very compelling reading.

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

DB10GOONER wrote:Also love Stephen King's stuff (particularly the earlier books) and just finished Under The Dome which was good. Best thing he wrote was The Stand (full version). Quality.
Ah, The Stand - Loved that book!

I was a huge Stephen King fan as a kid. The Stand was my favourite, but IT and Night Shift were damn good, too.

Memoirs of a Geisha was superb, as well... didn't like the film, though :?

Mario Puzo was another author I liked - The Godfather (obviously) and The Sicilian were my favourites.

Finally, and I don't think RaM would approved BUT... Da Vinci Code and Angels & Demons were just what I wanted at the time. Loved both of them and read them so, so quickly... definately page turners!
- I actually think people are overly harsh on Dan Brown books mainly because he's become so popular. It's almost cool to hate his books, and I find it odd. No, they won't go down as great works of literature, but that wasn't the aim.... they're popcorn novels, and damn good ones at that.

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

Tom Watt "The End" - best Arsenal book I have ever read.
Is the story of the fans at Highbury.

Any of the Frederick Forsythe spy books, all good reads.

Paulo Hewitt's "The Soul Stylists" is a non fiction look at what clothes people wore in the UK 1945 - 1990. Like Tom Watt's book, it is small paragraphs of transcripted interviews with a mix of regular people and professionals.
If you were a Mod, or a Casual, or a New Romantic etc or even just were well into your music and fashion when you were growing up, it is a fascinating read.

Douglas Century - "Street Kingdom" is a really great read for people who are into Hip Hop, but probably not of interest to those that are not. It is his account of five years spent in 1990's Brooklyn hanging out with a street crew and all the ducking and diving that they got up to.

MegaGooner

Post by MegaGooner »

g88ner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:Also love Stephen King's stuff (particularly the earlier books) and just finished Under The Dome which was good. Best thing he wrote was The Stand (full version). Quality.

I was a huge Stephen King fan as a kid. The Stand was my favourite, but IT and Night Shift were damn good, too.

Mario Puzo was another author I liked - The Godfather (obviously) and The Sicilian were my favourites.

Finally, and I don't think RaM would approved BUT... Da Vinci Code and Angels & Demons were just what I wanted at the time. Loved both of them and read them so, so quickly... definately page turners!
- I actually think people are overly harsh on Dan Brown books mainly because he's become so popular. It's almost cool to hate his books, and I find it odd. No, they won't go down as great works of literature, but that wasn't the aim.... they're popcorn novels, and damn good ones at that.
Really enjoyed "The Godfather, The Sicilian and fairly recently, Da Vinci Code........all brilliant.
Just finished "Angels and Demons" over the weekendand watched the movie this afternoon....Well played Mr. Tom Hanks...very enjoyable. :barscarf:

RaM

Post by RaM »

g88ner wrote:

Strangely...no.

I really liked Angels & Demons actually, and I read all of Dan Brown's novels before they were famous from films.

I just dislike all of the hype they've generated...they're clearly fiction.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

g88ner wrote:

Isn't it strange the way the fickle media and public will just turn on someone because they have become popular or overly successful? I mean millions of people bought the Da Vinci Code but can you get one fucker nowdays to admit it?!! :lol: :roll: :lol:

Personally I enjoyed the Da Vinci Code. As you say it wasn't great literature but it was a cracking story that was a real page turner. A good fun read. No more - sure - but certainly no less.

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

As I said in initial thread I like a good conspiracy theory, especially when it involves the Catholic church. So to anyone of a similar ilk, I would recommend "in god's name" by David Yallop.

RaM

Post by RaM »

goonersid wrote:As I said in initial thread I like a good conspiracy theory, especially when it involves the Catholic church. So to anyone of a similar ilk, I would recommend "in god's name" by David Yallop.
Have you read anything by David Icke???

I'm thinking of getting some of his stuff but couldn't find a copy of any of his books in the shops I checked on Wednesday...

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

RaM wrote:
goonersid wrote:As I said in initial thread I like a good conspiracy theory, especially when it involves the Catholic church. So to anyone of a similar ilk, I would recommend "in god's name" by David Yallop.

I'm thinking of getting some of his stuff but couldn't find a copy of any of his books in the shops I checked on Wednesday...
:shock: I said I like a conspiracy theory, not that I was fucking lunatic :wink: :lol:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

RaM wrote:

Look in the bargain bin... or the loony bin... under "mad bastards". :lol: :wink:

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

goonersid wrote:
RaM wrote:

:shock: I said I like a conspiracy theory, not that I was fucking lunatic :wink: :lol:
:coffeespit:

RaM

Post by RaM »

goonersid wrote: :shock: I said I like a conspiracy theory, not that I was fucking lunatic :wink: :lol:
:lol:
Look in the bargain bin... or the loony bin... under "mad bastards".

Oh so at least you both know who he is then. :lol:

I just thought it might be an interesting read. Reptiles controlling people is a fascinating theory.

I've looked on his forums and...there is actually a fair bit of World Cup stuff. Charities are ripping off the world to profit from the event AND the actual World Cup trophy is in the shape of people holding it, but when turned to a different angle is actually a reptilian fist firmly clutching the globe. :shock:

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

RaM wrote:
goonersid wrote: :shock: I said I like a conspiracy theory, not that I was fucking lunatic :wink: :lol:

I just thought it might be an interesting read. Reptiles controlling people is a fascinating theory.

I've looked on his forums and...there is actually a fair bit of World Cup stuff. Charities are ripping off the world to profit from the event AND the actual World Cup trophy is in the shape of people holding it, but when turned to a different angle is actually a reptilian fist firmly clutching the globe. :shock:
Hope youre not serious :shock:

:wink:

RaM

Post by RaM »

flash gunner wrote:
RaM wrote:

http://www.davidicke.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119294

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

RaM wrote:
flash gunner wrote:
RaM wrote:

http://www.davidicke.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119294

im into conspiricy theories so like hearing and reading about David Icke but its amusing and should never be taken seriously RaM, the bloke is a nutter