THE GOONERSID BOOK THREAD

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
DB10GOONER

Re: THE GOONERSID BOOK THREAD

Postby DB10GOONER » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:22 am

Just finished ‘The Outsider’ by Stephen King. Recommended, and if you liked the Mr Mercedes trilogy, you’re in for a treat.
Been a King fan since I read The Stand as a teenager and have read almost everything he's written, but haven't yet tried the Mr Mercedes trilogy. Recommended? Been debating trying them for a while now but reading mixed reviews, some saying they are just King paying lip service to the pulp detective novels of his teen years.

Sad fucker that I am I've actually read the full extended version of The Stand 3 times over the years and loved it each time. :lol: Still his best work for me. 8)
Go for it DB. 3 great books in my opinion. First and third are the best. Crime, history and supernatural threads combined. Read these before The Outsider for reasons that will become clear as you go.
Cheers mate. Will do. 8)

DB10GOONER

Postby DB10GOONER » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:23 am

Just finished ‘The Outsider’ by Stephen King. Recommended, and if you liked the Mr Mercedes trilogy, you’re in for a treat.
Been a King fan since I read The Stand as a teenager and have read almost everything he's written, but haven't yet tried the Mr Mercedes trilogy. Recommended? Been debating trying them for a while now but reading mixed reviews, some saying they are just King paying lip service to the pulp detective novels of his teen years.

Sad fucker that I am I've actually read the full extended version of The Stand 3 times over the years and loved it each time. :lol: Still his best work for me. 8)
Go for it DB. 3 great books in my opinion. First and third are the best. Crime, history and supernatural threads combined. Read these before The Outsider for reasons that will become clear as you go.
About halfway through reading Mr Mercedes and really enjoying it. Brilliantly written characters and a real dark underbelly to the tale. Just ordered the next 2 in the trilogy and The Outsider too on Amazon. Great recommendation Goonertux - cheers mate. 8)

goonertux

Postby goonertux » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:28 pm

Just finished Roger Daltreys new Autobiography. Big fan of The ‘orrible Who, but you don’t have to be to enjoy the story of the band. How they’re both still going is unbelievable, when you discover everything they went through. Worth a read.

DB10GOONER

Postby DB10GOONER » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:43 pm

Just finished Roger Daltreys new Autobiography. Big fan of The ‘orrible Who, but you don’t have to be to enjoy the story of the band. How they’re both still going is unbelievable, when you discover everything they went through. Worth a read.
Loved the Who - even when they flirted with the silly mod shit. One of the greatest rock bands of all time. 8)

IW8Goalmachine

Postby IW8Goalmachine » Sun May 12, 2019 8:11 am

About halfway through reading Mr Mercedes and really enjoying it. Brilliantly written characters and a real dark underbelly to the tale. Just ordered the next 2 in the trilogy and The Outsider too on Amazon. Great recommendation Goonertux - cheers mate. 8)
I made the mistake of reading The Outsider first, halfway through I realised it was a spinoff to a trilogy so there were a few spoilers for me.

The first few chapthers of The Outsiders are amazing.

I have read the mercedes trilogy since and still really enjoyed it, Stephen King is a cracking author. Pet Semetary is just amazing, haven't seen the movie yet but from watching the trailer it looks like they have strayed a little from the source material.

Just started reading Needful Things, good so far.

OneBardGooner

Postby OneBardGooner » Sun May 12, 2019 11:35 am

Just read the Ant Middleton (SAS/ SBS) book First Man In - a load of *****. :(

Return to “The Cannonballs”