RIP Gary Speed

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
augie

Post by augie »

Percy Dalton wrote:As someone else said, why is this tragic event being linked to depresion etc?

If people genuinely know something fine but let's not speculate if because we don't know the facts.

I was wondering this too but sometimes word leaks out in drips so thought maybe word was getting out that he suffered from depression :o If this depression thing is just speculation then that is pure wrong and does a diservice to those who really do suffer from depression and fight the hard every single day.

donaldo

Post by donaldo »

24 hours before Gary Speed took his life Stan Collymore wrote this

http://www.tl.gd/ecoqm1

phil_mitchell

Post by phil_mitchell »

to the football community

Our Father, which art in heaven,
Hallowed be thy Name.
Thy Kingdom come.
Thy will be done in earth,
As it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses,
As we forgive them that trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation,
But deliver us from evil.
For thine is the kingdom,

The power, and the glory,

For ever and ever.

Amen.

Eboue-Why?

Post by Eboue-Why? »

What is really frightening is seeing the re-run of yesterday's Football Focus where he appeared so relaxed and having a joke, even though at that point he'd have probably made the decision to take his own life. I know people are saying that it's wrong to assume he was sufffering from depression but it's clear that you only take your life if there are demons who have persuaded you that there is no point in carrying on because of this or that. Could be money, could be relationship issues, could be that he has always had mental illnesses that he just kept to himself.

Listened to 606 tonight and Robbie Savage and the other presenter were in bits and clearly in tears at the end.

Whatever was the reason, he's at peace now.

SWLGooner
Location: Islington Town Hall, applauding the fourth place trophy.

Post by SWLGooner »

If the rumour is true that the Sun were going to run a massive story about his personal life that day, and it may well not be, then that is absolutely fucking disgraceful. Really hope it's bullshit. :?

Percy Dalton

Post by Percy Dalton »

What was the jist of the story?

spawn_e_git

Post by spawn_e_git »

The Sun Twitter Page:

@oddstanley No truth in this story. The Sun was not investigating Gary Speed in any way.

Hope this is the case.

SWLGooner

Post by SWLGooner »

Not a clue mate.

swimmer1

Post by swimmer1 »

Heard something similar about a newspaper was going to go after Gary speed about his personal life .

Anyhow always seemed a good guy.

augie

Post by augie »

SWLGooner wrote:If the rumour is true that the Sun were going to run a massive story about his personal life that day, and it may well not be, then that is absolutely fucking disgraceful. Really hope it's bullshit. :?

In a way I hope it is true......I have enjoyed seeing the likes of terry and cashley being dragged through the gutter but at the same time I cant help feeling that rags like the sun should not profit from tearing other people's lives apart for the fun of it :roll: Something like this (if such a thing pushed speed to suicide) might see a public outcry and backlash against the rags concerned

SWLGooner

Post by SWLGooner »

Ideally I would like to see the tabloid papers coruscated by all 'n sundry, but the inherent problem is that that will result in whatever sordid details of someone's private life they are being slated for publishing being well and truly put into the limelight...

...Although with regards to adulterers, air-gun shooters and thieving rapists, print what you want...

Percy Dalton

Post by Percy Dalton »

I know it is sad but the moment I heard he had gone my mind turned to him being exposed for something.

If this was a Gazza or even a Merson you could understand it but with Speed seeming such a nice guy with all going well you do wonder whats in the background.

For his family's sake I hope it gets buried if there is something.

SWLGooner

Post by SWLGooner »

Percy Dalton wrote:I know it is sad but the moment I heard he had gone my mind turned to him being exposed for something.

If this was a Gazza or even a Merson you could understand it but with Speed seeming such a nice guy with all going well you do wonder whats in the background.

For his family's sake I hope it gets buried if there is something.
I've heard various rumours that I've completely ignored and refused to spread.

Think depression is most likely, as Collymore says in tbf what is an excellent piece of writing it can just swing like that, and I've had mates and family who have had it, one day they are on top of the world, the next day you stay by their side as they are feeling that crappy about the world.

Whatever the reasons, and I very much hope it's all above board, tragic. :cry:

olgitgooner

Post by olgitgooner »

Very sad news.

And now the rumours will be flying around. It's best not to speculate.

Nobody takes their own life unless they have serious problems going on.

I feel desperately sorry for the family and friends he left behind. I hope the gutterpress will leave them alone. But i very much doubt it.

Chips and Chocolate

Post by Chips and Chocolate »

Rest in peace Gary...