Wimbledon 2012

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
northbank123

Re: Wimbledon 2012

Post by northbank123 »

g88ner wrote:
northbank123 wrote:I know it's tennis and Centre Court is hardly going to be a cauldron of hate but I expected (and hoped) that the atmosphere would be more partisan.
Was never going to happen.

This isn't football, and Federer is too well respected and will always be supported by the Wimbledon crowd. I'm surprised you're surprised, to be honest.
I knew it was going to be respectful and Federer is very popular but still, given British tennis players' woeful record at Wimbledon and in tennis in general I still expected people to get significantly more behind Murray than Federer, you can still be respectful to both while favouring one player. What irks me is that undoubtedly many of the people supporting Federer equally or more than Murray at the game are the type of people who will moan about what a pity it was when Henman lost to Ivanesevic or when Murray lost to Roddick because they're supposedly desperate to see British players succeed.

Anyway great game so far, great nerve from Murray to pinch the first set but must be devastated to lose the second after playing the better tennis.

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

northbank123 wrote:
g88ner wrote:
northbank123 wrote:I know it's tennis and Centre Court is hardly going to be a cauldron of hate but I expected (and hoped) that the atmosphere would be more partisan.

This isn't football, and Federer is too well respected and will always be supported by the Wimbledon crowd. I'm surprised you're surprised, to be honest.
I knew it was going to be respectful and Federer is very popular but still, given British tennis players' woeful record at Wimbledon and in tennis in general I still expected people to get significantly more behind Murray than Federer, you can still be respectful to both while favouring one player. What irks me is that undoubtedly many of the people supporting Federer equally or more than Murray at the game are the type of people who will moan about what a pity it was when Henman lost to Ivanesevic or when Murray lost to Roddick because they're supposedly desperate to see British players succeed.

Anyway great game so far, great nerve from Murray to pinch the first set but must be devastated to lose the second after playing the better tennis.

They are favouring Murray! What sort of audio do you have? or ears...? :lol: Think you're trying to make an issue out of nothing mate.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

arseofacrow wrote:
northbank123 wrote:
g88ner wrote:

They are favouring Murray! What sort of audio do you have? or ears...? :lol: Think you're trying to make an issue out of nothing mate.
I guess so, I just expected that given the seven and a half decade wait for a Wimbledon finalist keen British tennis fans that attended these sort of events might have been more biased like they were in the Doubles final yesterday. Probably just being too subjective though, just because my approach to sport is wanting to see a good spectacle unless there is somebody who I support involved, then I just want them to win at all costs. Probably not cut out for being a tennis fan then.

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

northbank123 wrote: I guess so, I just expected that given the seven and a half decade wait for a Wimbledon finalist keen British tennis fans that attended these sort of events might have been more biased like they were in the Doubles final yesterday. Probably just being too subjective though, just because my approach to sport is wanting to see a good spectacle unless there is somebody who I support involved, then I just want them to win at all costs. Probably not cut out for being a tennis fan then.
This is about as biased as I'd expect, to be honest.

The overwhelming crowd favourite is definitely Murray, but - as expected - Federer will get the respect and support of the crowd as well.

The tennis clique are a civilised bunch :barscarf:

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

g88ner wrote:The tennis clique are a civilised bunch :barscarf:
Yeah to be fair doesn't look like many of them have 8+ pints before going to watch their chosen sport and screaming profanities. Would still like to see Federer being booed and pelted with bottles filled with piss.

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

northbank123 wrote:
g88ner wrote:The tennis clique are a civilised bunch :barscarf:
Yeah to be fair doesn't look like many of them have 8+ pints before going to watch their chosen sport and screaming profanities. Would still like to see Federer being booed and pelted with bottles filled with piss.
:lol: That would be the Welsh Open then? :wink:

I can see where you're coming from mate, but as g88ner says, it is what it is. :-|

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

So Murray is Scottish :lol:

Top Londoner

Post by Top Londoner »

Cry baby, cry.

G. Brown
A. Darling
A. Salmond
A. Murray

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Who at the top of world tennis thinks it's remotely appropriate or acceptable to interview somebody on the court right after losing the biggest match they'll ever play in? Absolute madness.

Top Londoner

Post by Top Londoner »

northbank123 wrote:Who at the top of world tennis thinks it's remotely appropriate or acceptable to interview somebody on the court right after losing the biggest match they'll ever play in? Absolute madness.

Yeah, I know. I almost missed it. :lol:

MutleyGooner

Post by MutleyGooner »

You can wake up now Andy, your dream is over :lol:

donaldo

Post by donaldo »

The tennis is moving to the E******* next summer more room for the coporates and its a no noise zone

richpye

Post by richpye »

donaldo wrote:The tennis is moving to the E******* next summer more room for the coporates and its a no noise zone
Will that mean an end to the fake grunting that makes the women players sound like cheap whores?

Post by 1989 »

Murray is a classic nearly man. The Arsenal of Tennis.

DB10_TH14

Post by DB10_TH14 »

big congrats to federer today he showed why he is one of the all time greats if not the greatest and tbf murray played pretty well alot more offensive than in other slam finals it just wasent meant to be today.