Maggie Thatcher Dead

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
DarylAFC

Re: Thatcher Dead

Post by DarylAFC »

MK Gould wrote:
flash gunner wrote:Falklands war MK? I'd say thats one of the few things she actually did well :?
It was her policies that caused the Falklands war...!!

And why was she so willing to sacrifice so many lives in defence of a small group of farmers on the other side of the world while at the same time destroying whole communities in our own back yard...
Sorry mate, I hate her but we have a duty to protect British land and it's people, regardless where it is. The Flaklands was something she did right. That's about all she did right.

LDB
Location: Having a cup of tea and waiting for all this to blow over

Post by LDB »

RoscommonGooner

Post by RoscommonGooner »

flash gunner wrote:
Apart of course from the fact after getting elected he burned down the parliment building and banned all opposition giving himself free reign and going on to commit atrocities. :banghead: What people don't like is she was voted in, the voting public liked her :?
I'm sure I read somewhere that the "first past the post" system that is used in UK elections help her no end, that, in fact the majority didn't want her as PM. If PR (proportional representation) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proportion ... esentation was used Labour may have won some of those elections.

I may be wrong though :?

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

RoscommonGooner wrote:
flash gunner wrote:
Apart of course from the fact after getting elected he burned down the parliment building and banned all opposition giving himself free reign and going on to commit atrocities. :banghead: What people don't like is she was voted in, the voting public liked her :?
I'm sure I read somewhere that the "first past the post" system that is used in UK elections help her no end, that, in fact the majority didn't want her as PM. If PR (proportional representation) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proportion ... esentation was used Labour may have won some of those elections.

FPTP system has always helped the two major parties, which is why it's always the smaller parties like Lib Dems, Greens etc arguing for PR/AV. Can't give you a statistic but I imagine that very few people are elected on an absolute majority. Besides, nobody actually votes for the PM personally as shown by the whole Blair/Brown nonsense.

ThomasMitchell

Post by ThomasMitchell »

MK Gould wrote:
flash gunner wrote:Falklands war MK? I'd say thats one of the few things she actually did well :?
It was her policies that caused the Falklands war...!!

And why was she so willing to sacrifice so many lives in defence of a small group of farmers on the other side of the world while at the same time destroying whole communities in our own back yard...
How did her policies cause the Falklands War? An unelected military junta invaded British sovereign territory and she is to blame for defending it?

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

ThomasMitchell wrote:Very sad to see such bitter, nasty, poisonous posts about someone passing away. Frankly says more about the people making the comments than it does about her. She will be remembered as one of the great political figures in British history. A great woman. May she rest in peace.
^^^^^ This.

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

g88ner wrote:
flash gunner wrote:Lets not turn this into a hatred thread. Love her or hate her lets not start celebrating her death
Glad people listened to you flash, or this thread might have got a little nasty :barscarf: :oops: :oops: :lol:
Being a moderator does have its uses :? :oops: :D

LeftfootlegendGooner

flash gunner wrote:
g88ner wrote:
flash gunner wrote:Lets not turn this into a hatred thread. Love her or hate her lets not start celebrating her death
Glad people listened to you flash, or this thread might have got a little nasty :barscarf: :oops: :oops: :lol:
Where's DB10 when you need him, a proper Mod :roll: :lol:

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

RoscommonGooner wrote:
flash gunner wrote:

More election with a majority vote than I thought in recent years even Thatchers wins :?

http://www.politicsresources.net/area/uk/uktable.htm

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

Very mixed legacy.

I strongly believe in balance between unions and bosses.
She had to take on the unions, they had got too strong and were too politically motivated, to the detriment of the country.
But she went too far, closed viable coal pits.

She was right to fight for the Falklands and South Georgia, which we may really need for their oil and gas potential. We had more claim to them than the Argentinians, who had invaded and killed British citizens.

She had the right idea on being a member of the EU (EEC), but at an arm's length. Her economics made her sign the Single European Act, which I think was a mistake, and she came to regret it too.

She stayed in power too long and became a victim of what usually happens to those who stay in power too long; either they run out of ideas or get crazy ideas.
The poll tax was a mess.

Her manner was vitually regal, established a strong identity at first, but it worked against her in the end.
Ever since her leaving office, politicians have very much tried to act more "common", fearing being seen as aloof, and I think that tone has been passed onto television and print media too.

I know she was called "Milk Snatcher" but we used to get free milk at primary school in the late 70's.

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:
flash gunner wrote:
g88ner wrote:
A mod of the people :roll: :lol:

He's actually gone on a little holiday :wink:

safcftm

Post by safcftm »

Glad the bitch is dead. If they're fucking stupid enough to try and organise a minute of silence at the weekend then I will get to experience something a bit special, the fans of Sunderland and Newcastle joining together for a minute on derby day, the old *word censored* will be booed to the rafters. An iron lady? She was a soft shite who was in tears when she realised that she had to resign as her own party wanted shot of her. There were a fuck load more "iron ladies" in the areas that she destroyed who kept putting food on the table for their children when the ship yards, mines and steel works closed and their men were out of work. Iron lady? She wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes. We'll not even mention apartheid and Pinochet. Fuck her. Mind I like the line doing the rounds on twitter and the likes where people are wondering if the Thatcher residence will be getting a letter stating "as a result of recent events it has come to our attention that you now have a spare bedroom"

skipper

Post by skipper »

Wow, some heavy stuff from @safcftm :rubchin: ...one of first things I thought of, after hearing she's gone was this quote from great Charles Bukowski: "The difference between a democracy and a dictatorship is that in a democracy you vote first and take orders later; in a dictatorship you don't have to waste your time voting."

LeftfootlegendGooner

flash gunner wrote:
LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:
flash gunner wrote:
g88ner wrote:
A mod of the people :roll: :lol:

He's actually gone on a little holiday :wink:
Where to.....Whoville :shock: :lol:

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

I can understand the extreme nature of people's hostility towards her if they were personally affected in some way by her policies - whether it be themselves, their families or their region.

But when you've got a hall full of student representatives at the NUS Conference cheering it makes you wonder - most wouldn't have even been born by the time she was ousted and needless to say a larger proportion than average of those will come from very comfortable socio-economic backgrounds and their parents will probably have even voted for her.