the Wimbledon Thread

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
LDB
Location: Having a cup of tea and waiting for all this to blow over

the Wimbledon Thread

Post by LDB »

Since the "other sports" thread is dominated by discussions of egg chasing in its various boring forms I feel we need a thread dedicated to the glorious game of Lawn Tennis!

I know lots of people around here fancy themselves as working class hero types who will never admit to liking tennis but the championships are shaping up nicely this year. This could well be the year of the first British male winner since 1936 - makes spurs last league title look like yesterday.

Disappointed more Brits didn't make it through the first round. Good for Laura Robson who actually beat a seeded player, has some very effective shots just needs to work on her footwork and agility and get some consistency in her tour results to bring her ranking up.

Who is going to be the first to throw off the shackles of oppression and admit to liking tennis? 8)

g88ner

Re: the Wimbledon Thread

Post by g88ner »

As a founding member of the tennis clique, I'd just like to say that I approve of a tennis only thread! :barscarf: :barscarf:

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Robson was very impressive, played some superb shots and bossed the game.

I don't mind tennis and I always follow Andy Murray in the slams. But can't say I'm looking forward to this year particularly - will probably only real watch Murray from quarters onwards (if he gets there).

I saw on BBC about half the expert pundits backed him and the other half Djokovic, all claiming that it was a rational decision not affected by nationalism. All ignored Federer who, fading or not, is still a huge threat to be considered at Wimbledon.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Why? Just... why? :roll:

:-P :wink:

LDB

Post by LDB »

What a day!

Federer out to a serve and volleyer
Sharapova out
Tsonga out
Murray through
8 players retired through injury

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

LDB wrote:What a day!

Federer out to a serve and volleyer
Sharapova out
Tsonga out
Murray through
8 players retired through injury
Had a big old gay day just for myself!
:mrgreen:

:wink:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Gay Game Gay Fans Gay Clique Gay Grass Gay every bloody thing... :roll: :mrgreen:

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Robson was a little naive and like her opponent Saturday couldn't come up with the goods when it mattered. Bright future though.

Great effort from Lisicki - even if she ruined it by blubbering in the interview after. Irritates me that the Wimbledon crowd can be so partisan in favour of a German against a tennis great that has won 5 titles and an Olympic gold medal in SW19, yet didn't show anywhere near the same support for Murray against Federer last year.

LDB

Post by LDB »

northbank123 wrote:Robson was a little naive and like her opponent Saturday couldn't come up with the goods when it mattered. Bright future though.

Great effort from Lisicki - even if she ruined it by blubbering in the interview after. Irritates me that the Wimbledon crowd can be so partisan in favour of a German against a tennis great that has won 5 titles and an Olympic gold medal in SW19, yet didn't show anywhere near the same support for Murray against Federer last year.
The lack of support for Murray in the final last year was pretty shocking but can't say I blame the crowd for backing the underdog in a match involving two foreigners. Makes it infinitely more engaging then watching Williams steam roller some 5 ft nothing pusher. Lisicki is a very good grass court player with a big serve and although I (unfortunately) talked myself out of it I did fancy a flutter on her before their match today.

The wimbledon crowd are just beyond moronic when it comes to Murray. The fact that they only realised he was a real human being after crying at the final last year despite the fact he did the same thing in just about every other grand slam final he lost shows how much tennis they actually watch outside this 2 weeks a year. They'll never get him because he's not tim the nice but dim loser and they have the ready-made excuse of comments taken out of context by the sun when he was 19 years old :yawn:

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

LDB wrote:
northbank123 wrote:Robson was a little naive and like her opponent Saturday couldn't come up with the goods when it mattered. Bright future though.

The lack of support for Murray in the final last year was pretty shocking but can't say I blame the crowd for backing the underdog in a match involving two foreigners. Makes it infinitely more engaging then watching Williams steam roller some 5 ft nothing pusher. Lisicki is a very good grass court player with a big serve and although I (unfortunately) talked myself out of it I did fancy a flutter on her before their match today.

The wimbledon crowd are just beyond moronic when it comes to Murray. The fact that they only realised he was a real human being after crying at the final last year despite the fact he did the same thing in just about every other grand slam final he lost shows how much tennis they actually watch outside this 2 weeks a year. They'll never get him because he's not tim the nice but dim loser and they have the ready-made excuse of comments taken out of context by the sun when he was 19 years old :yawn:

Yeah I was using it solely to bemoan last year, had I been there this year I would've been cheering for Lisicki without doubt.

Caught most of the Murray game today. Aside from the wobble in the second-set he looked shit-hot.

LDB

Post by LDB »

northbank123 wrote:
Caught most of the Murray game today. Aside from the wobble in the second-set he looked shit-hot.
He's going very well indeed, unfortunately Djokovic is looking even better

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

This Wimbledon seems to be the passing of a generation. Loads of youngsters getting through. Good to see Laura Robson go down fighting, that will hold her in good stead. She needs to tone up a bit to rival the top 10 women. But she's got guts, grit, power and skill.
Murray will not get a better chance although Djokovic looks menacing.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Jaysus, NB123 - first the Towel-flicking and now the tennis? :rubchin:

Is there no end to your gayness??!! :-P :wink:

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

Just for the record i'd like to see Serena's tits. They look big and firm

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

flash gunner wrote:Just for the record i'd like to see Serena's tits. They look big and firm
They could kill a man who isn't trained in handling such breasts.