Question for the IRISH members

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
QuartzGooner

Question for the IRISH members

Post by QuartzGooner »

Been recommended to watch an RTE series called Love/Hate, about Irish gangsters.

Is it worth watching?

If so, is it realistic?

Bradywasking

Re: Question for the IRISH members

Post by Bradywasking »

I watch it and yes I think it is realistic, there is no glamouriastion of Dublin's underworld in it. It is seedy and full of well placed paranoia on the part of main characters. It is violent , it highlights the massive drug problem in Dublin, it has highlighted corruption in the police force and the current series highlights the violent nature of some of the traveling population. It has also highlighted the emergence of dissident republicans in the crime scene in Dublin

The story is told through its main characters in the underworld, their wives and partners , their enemies and the police. Drug taking is very common in the series and the effects of this through addiction followed by "being owned" by the druglords until the debt is paid off is accurate.
There is no glamour in it , just constant and justified paranoia , short life spans and violent ends of its characters. but worth a watch. Opinion on it is divided in Ireland.

REB

Post by REB »

ya quartz, its a really good well written show,think we are on season 4 now, but you might need subtitles to understand the west brits of northside dublin :mrgreen:

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

Thanks, sounds worth the watch.
Not seen anything powerful since The Wire.

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

REB wrote:ya quartz, its a really good well written show,think we are on season 4 now, but you might need subtitles to understand the west brits of northside dublin :mrgreen:
The West Brits live along the coast south of the river in Dublin. They support Leinster Rugby as a duty not a passion. :D

REB

Post by REB »

your all west brits to us :mrgreen:

jaggygooner

Post by jaggygooner »

Quartz, if you want grity, powerfull drama and you can put up with subtitles you should try Gomorrah. It was on sky recently about drug gangs in Italy, best thing I've seen in ages. Think ill give love/hate a try, sounds the same sort of thing.

corkbarry

Post by corkbarry »

jaggygooner wrote:Quartz, if you want grity, powerfull drama and you can put up with subtitles you should try Gomorrah. It was on sky recently about drug gangs in Italy, best thing I've seen in ages. Think ill give love/hate a try, sounds the same sort of thing.
You got there before me. I think it's actually better than Love Hate, it shows how the gangs control vast areas of Naples and how crime is passed on from father to Son. Very graphic and pretty frightening to see how the gangs have no problem killing.
On the plus side it has Subtitles which as REB said should have been on Love hate :D they talk funny :shock:

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Saw one advertised for Channel 4 this week called Babylon..looks decent in the ad .

corkbarry

Post by corkbarry »

Bradywasking wrote:Saw one advertised for Channel 4 this week called Babylon..looks decent in the ad .
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3138900/

Comedy/Drama ?

jaggygooner

Post by jaggygooner »

Corkbarry, if you liked Gomorrah have you seen romanzo criminale, the series NOT the film, same kind of stuff set 30 years ago just as hard hitting.

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

Thanks Jaggy, will add that to my list too.
Saw the film, it was very gritty and downbeat.

jaggygooner

Post by jaggygooner »

Pity you saw the film first, the series is so much better but now you know all the plot twists. Have you heard of braquo, French cop series so much better than anything we make these days!
Last edited by jaggygooner on Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

jaggygooner wrote:Quartz, if you want grity, powerfull drama and you can put up with subtitles you should try Gomorrah. It was on sky recently about drug gangs in Italy, best thing I've seen in ages. Think ill give love/hate a try, sounds the same sort of thing.
City of God :barscarf:

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

Not heard of Braquo, will add to the ever growing list thanks.
Saw City Of when it was in the cinema, one of the best films I have ever seen.