Religion

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
DB10GOONER

Re: Religion

Post by DB10GOONER »

Chippy wrote:
Bradywasking wrote:One of the Ten Commandments is Thou shalt not take the Lord's Name in Vain.. I as a child assumed that meant not using Jesus or God in a swearing context, but was recently informed by someone who is more in tune with it than I that it means that The Lord or God's name cannot be used in the context of violence , in other words do not kill or maim in the name of God.
Unless the bloke is an expert in ancient hebrew and knows what was going through the head of a man writing something down about 1000 years after it allegedly happened then I would suggest he hasn't got a scooby. :twisted:
:lol: :lol:

But it's a good point. Most religious doctrine is/was written after the fact. And by man. Modern (more enlightened) religious thinking is that people should not take the word of these books as literal but use them as a guide to living a better life. The problem of course is that alot of moderates don't agree with that and all extremists hold that as blasphemy and/or sacrilege.

officepest
Location: Lacking a little bit of sharpness in the final third.

Post by officepest »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Chippy wrote:
Bradywasking wrote:One of the Ten Commandments is Thou shalt not take the Lord's Name in Vain.. I as a child assumed that meant not using Jesus or God in a swearing context, but was recently informed by someone who is more in tune with it than I that it means that The Lord or God's name cannot be used in the context of violence , in other words do not kill or maim in the name of God.
Unless the bloke is an expert in ancient hebrew and knows what was going through the head of a man writing something down about 1000 years after it allegedly happened then I would suggest he hasn't got a scooby. :twisted:
:lol: :lol:

But it's a good point. Most religious doctrine is/was written after the fact. And by man. Modern (more enlightened) religious thinking is that people should not take the word of these books as literal but use them as a guide to living a better life. The problem of course is that alot of moderates don't agree with that and all extremists hold that as blasphemy and/or sacrilege.
With some of the Gospels being written hundreds and hundreds of years later. It makes me chuckle when I hear devout oddballs adovocate death for homosexuals, but not for people wearing mixed fibres.

Both are punishable by death: it's on the same fucking page of the book. :lol:

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

Good point.

Those that treat the bible as sacrosanct (re: homosexuality, working on the sabbath etc) don't mention the others instructions (killing children who don't respect their parents, stoning to death wives who aren't virgins on their wedding day, condoning slavery etc).

Chippy

Post by Chippy »

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

It's always fun to ask those that aver their belief in the bible, the word of god, the creator of everything if they have ever read it cover to cover.

I heard a lecture by a teacher at a Christian University in America who found that more of his degree level believers had read the Da Vinci Code than had read the bible.
By definition, they must hold their beliefs based on what somebody else has told them. Very enlightened.

officepest

Post by officepest »

GranadaJoe wrote:It's always fun to ask those that aver their belief in the bible, the word of god, the creator of everything if they have ever read it cover to cover.

I heard a lecture by a teacher at a Christian University in America who found that more of his degree level believers had read the Da Vinci Code than had read the bible.
By definition, they must hold their beliefs based on what somebody else has told them. Very enlightened.

You are to keep My statutes. You shall not breed together two kinds of your cattle; you shall not sow your field with two kinds of seed, nor wear a garment upon you of two kinds of material mixed together. Now if a man lies carnally with a woman who is a slave acquired for another man, but who has in no way been redeemed nor given her freedom, there shall be punishment; they shall not, however, be put to death, because she was not free.…

There sure are some valuable life lessons here, straight from the Lord God's mouth.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

officepest wrote:
GranadaJoe wrote:It's always fun to ask those that aver their belief in the bible, the word of god, the creator of everything if they have ever read it cover to cover.

You are to keep My statutes. You shall not breed together two kinds of your cattle; you shall not sow your field with two kinds of seed, nor wear a garment upon you of two kinds of material mixed together. Now if a man lies carnally with a woman who is a slave acquired for another man, but who has in no way been redeemed nor given her freedom, there shall be punishment; they shall not, however, be put to death, because she was not free.…

There sure are some valuable life lessons here, straight from the Lord God's mouth.
I like the women being slaves bit though. :D

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
officepest wrote:

:lol:

Does it tell you exactly what you are allowed to do to them? :rubchin: :shock:

SPUDMASHER

Post by SPUDMASHER »

You want to know if bum sex is okay don't you :wink:

You can't fool us you old perv :lol:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

flash gunner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
officepest wrote:

Yes. Yes, it does. :D

You are to keep My women downtrodden. You shall not breed together two kinds of your women less thy be parteth of a threesome with thyself. They shall not sow their field with two kinds of seed, nor wear a garment upon them of two kinds of material mixed together unless it be of gimp mask and strapon. Now if a man lies carnally with a woman who is a slave acquired for another man, but who has in no way been splashed with his muck, nor given her freedom, there shall be punishment, less he payeth that man cash money; they shall not, however, be put to death, because she was not breached anally...

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
flash gunner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
officepest wrote:

Yes. Yes, it does. :D

You are to keep My women downtrodden. You shall not breed together two kinds of your women less thy be parteth of a threesome with thyself. They shall not sow their field with two kinds of seed, nor wear a garment upon them of two kinds of material mixed together unless it be of gimp mask and strapon. Now if a man lies carnally with a woman who is a slave acquired for another man, but who has in no way been splashed with his muck, nor given her freedom, there shall be punishment, less he payeth that man cash money; they shall not, however, be put to death, because she was not breached anally...
Sorry, so you can or can't fuck her up the arse? :? :lol:

officepest

Post by officepest »

flash gunner wrote:Sorry, so he can or can't fuck you up the arse? :? :lol:
:shock:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

flash gunner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote: Yes. Yes, it does. :D

Sorry, so you can or can't fuck her up the arse? :? :lol:
I have no idea. Erm.... Maybe? :rubchin:

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

Give it a go and let us know what happens.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

GranadaJoe wrote:Give it a go and let us know what happens.
Will do! :D