General Election May 7th

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.

Which party will you vote for in May2015

Tories
25%
Labour
17%
Lib Dems
3%
Ukip
27%
Green
13%
Nationalist (Scottish, Welsh or Irish)
5%
Unionist
No votes
Other
No votes
Never vote
3%
None of the above
7%

Total votes: 60

REB

Re: General Election May 7th

Post by REB »

Chippy wrote:
REB wrote:looks like you lot are heading for a ukip/labour coalition if this poll is anything to go by :mrgreen:
Because of our first past the post electoral system Ukip will be lucky to get 5 seats.
not too sure chippy, a lot of protest vote out there to gather, can see the tories losing a few to them down in good old middle england.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Agree with Chippy - in a proportional representation system UKIP might be looking at 100 seats as a target but first past the post they will just be looking to get something on the board.

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

Henry Norris 1913 wrote:we brought the topic of religion into a political thread :barscarf:
Considering we now also have a Religion thread, I am tempted to merge :D

Theoperator

Post by Theoperator »

Is it possible to be blue when supporting reds :rubchin:

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

QuartzGooner wrote:
Henry Norris 1913 wrote:we brought the topic of religion into a political thread :barscarf:
Considering we now also have a Religion thread, I am tempted to merge :D
I guess we'll have to say goodbye to both threads then :roll: :wink:

Mistical92

Post by Mistical92 »

REB wrote:
Chippy wrote:
REB wrote:looks like you lot are heading for a ukip/labour coalition if this poll is anything to go by :mrgreen:
Because of our first past the post electoral system Ukip will be lucky to get 5 seats.
not too sure chippy, a lot of protest vote out there to gather, can see the tories losing a few to them down in good old middle england.
They might lose a few due to the UKIP overall share of the vote, but that doesn't mean that UKIP will get any more than a dozen. There are a few that aren't even being contested by the main parties, e.g. South Thanet and possibly Rochester, but there's a chance that a Conservative/UKIP split could allow Labour to get in in a few seats.

It'll be a hung parliament, if I had a house I'd put it on that outcome. It'll be interesting to see if proportional representation is back on the cards after a second indecisive FPTP election.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Mistical92 wrote:
REB wrote:
Chippy wrote:
They might lose a few due to the UKIP overall share of the vote, but that doesn't mean that UKIP will get any more than a dozen. There are a few that aren't even being contested by the main parties, e.g. South Thanet and possibly Rochester, but there's a chance that a Conservative/UKIP split could allow Labour to get in in a few seats.

It'll be a hung parliament, if I had a house I'd put it on that outcome. It'll be interesting to see if proportional representation is back on the cards after a second indecisive FPTP election.
Might be on some agendas mate but hung parliament or not a reform would still have to be passed by the 85+% Labour and Conservative parliament. Like asking turkeys to vote for Christmas.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

the playing mantis wrote:how any sane person can bring themselves to vote labour after the disgusting mess they left this country in on nearly every area is beyond me.
how any sane person can bring themselves to vote conservative after the way they are killing off the NHS is beyond me.

time for a change. you sound like an AKB. we are not doing very well under Conservatives/Wenger but who else is there who can do better?

Mistical92

Post by Mistical92 »

northbank123 wrote:Might be on some agendas mate but hung parliament or not a reform would still have to be passed by the 85+% Labour and Conservative parliament. Like asking turkeys to vote for Christmas.
Quite possibly but the usual arguments for FPTP are failing:
It produces decisive majority government - this'll be the second indecisive election in a row.
It puts the electoral in charge of deciding - well no, the last government was decided behind closed doors
It's fine for the party system we have - we're now in a situation where there are likely to be six major parties in parliament and FPTP can't work with more than 3.5 parties.

I don't think it will happen, but I do think it'll be back on the table once the dust settles on May 8th and everyone sees what a messed up result has occurred.

olgitgooner

Post by olgitgooner »

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

David Cameron only wants the Greens in the debate because then with 5 parties he can celebrate finishing fourth

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

northbank123 wrote:David Cameron only wants the Greens in the debate because then with 5 parties he can celebrate finishing fourth
Cowardly *word censored* not wanting the debates :oops:

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

flash gunner wrote:
northbank123 wrote:David Cameron only wants the Greens in the debate because then with 5 parties he can celebrate finishing fourth
What's he got to gain from it? Ed Miliband's personal approval rating is through the floor. Clegg is universally regarded as a joke. It will play right into Farage's hands. At least if the Greens take part there's a chance they'll carve some votes off Labour, or more realistically draw some focus away from Farage.

Although the public would like to see a debate - I certainly would - I don't think that not taking part would lose the Conservatives any votes really.

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

northbank123 wrote:
flash gunner wrote:
What's he got to gain from it? Ed Miliband's personal approval rating is through the floor. Clegg is universally regarded as a joke. It will play right into Farage's hands. At least if the Greens take part there's a chance they'll carve some votes off Labour, or more realistically draw some focus away from Farage.

Although the public would like to see a debate - I certainly would - I don't think that not taking part would lose the Conservatives any votes really.
When he was in opposition in 2010 he said it was important to have these for the public now he's in power it isn't? Cowardly IMO

DarylAFC

Post by DarylAFC »

Stuff the Greens. I like my car, I will not wear lycra dammit! :banghead:
QuartzGooner wrote:Conservative.
There will sadly be victims of spending cuts but the harsh truth is the country is almost broke, and Labour are not the ones to sort it.
But under the Tories the ones that suffer most are the ones that earn the least. Not saying Labour will radically change this but the rich in this country have had it far too easy.