Greek election/ the Euro

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
GranadaJoe

Re: Greek election/ the Euro

Post by GranadaJoe »

Spain, like many of the later 'joiners' loved the euro for a while, but purely because of the shed loads of european money that was quickly spent on roads, building projects and grants for anything you could think of (a friend of mine got a grant for a three week 'study' trip to New York).
Then, when it started to dry up, being spent in the newer joiners they got a bit pissed-off. However, the general feeling seems to be that, while it gives the Spanish govt less economic tools, it's probably still better than going back to the peseta.

Nuggets

Post by Nuggets »

The European union is just a legal way to rip off lots of other peoples hard earned money, the UK are a joke, they are the biggest soft touch's in Europe but sadly the little people are paying for the bollocks dropped by the so called experts...who incidentally have enough money and earn/rip off enough money out of the European fund not to give a sh1te anyway. :banghead:

olgitgooner

Post by olgitgooner »

What really pisses me off about the EU and the Euro is that Spain now has a fantastic road system which nobody needs.

Meanwhile, the UK can't even keep pace with pot hole filling.

Nuggets

Post by Nuggets »

olgitgooner wrote:What really pisses me off about the EU and the Euro is that Spain now has a fantastic road system which nobody needs.

Meanwhile, the UK can't even keep pace with pot hole filling.
Thats because after them robbing bast**ds in Europe have squeezed all they can out of us we have no money left, worse thing we ever done was join that lot. :cry:

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

The Greeks should be told to pay their debts or piss off out the Euro. They can go back to their old joke currency, make up their accounts again and stop bothering the rest of Europe, the ungrateful bastards.

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

Before the bailout started out Greece had 2.7 millions workers paying for their own lives and supporting 2.7 million retired people.
Who could have foreseen that that was going to be a problem?

Anyone 'working in hazardous situations' could retire at 55. This group got bigger and bigger, including hairdressers (it's those dangerous chemicals they have to work with).

Paying tax was optional for a lot of people, especially if the right palms were greased.

All southern European countries suffer from corruption. Poweful people are massively corrupt. Poorer people just a bit corrupt. I can't see how it will ever change.

Nuggets

Post by Nuggets »

GranadaJoe wrote:Before the bailout started out Greece had 2.7 millions workers paying for their own lives and supporting 2.7 million retired people.

Anyone 'working in hazardous situations' could retire at 55. This group got bigger and bigger, including hairdressers (it's those dangerous chemicals they have to work with).

Paying tax was optional for a lot of people, especially if the right palms were greased.

All southern European countries suffer from corruption. Powerful people are massively corrupt. Poorer people just a bit corrupt. I can't see how it will ever change.
Not in our life time methinks.

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

GranadaJoe wrote:Before the bailout started out Greece had 2.7 millions workers paying for their own lives and supporting 2.7 million retired people.

All southern European countries suffer from corruption. Poweful people are massively corrupt. Poorer people just a bit corrupt. I can't see how it will ever change.
I think at its heart is the fact that the Greeks want to go back to the corruption and bribes. Actually having to do things legally and honestly is far too much bother for them.