Any runners on here?

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
armchair

Re: Any runners on here?

Post by armchair »

8.4 miles...................1hr 10min 34sec
Warm, overcast, no rain

Average 8.4min/mile

Dodgy knee held up quite well on a slightly longer but less hilly route. Still a bit sore, but less so now. Actually tried to slow the pace and thought I had. But an average of 8.4min/mile is pretty much around my usual pace.

armchair

Post by armchair »

7miles...........57min 21sec
Mild, little windy, no rain

Average 8.19min/mile

A break of two weeks showed no difference to my dodgy knee - some pain but bearable at this pace and distance. Might be something Im gonna have to just deal with. :(
Actually had a motorist who slowed down and gave way to me at a junction! Thats a definite first. :D

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Whenever I consider taking up running there always seems to be a news report of someone dying during a running event. Someone died at the great north run on Sunday. Kind of puts me off.

casgooner

Post by casgooner »

I run, but I keep getting colds and stuff, so I get fit, get a cold, then I have to start all over again. Just getting over a cold now and I haven't run for 2 weeks. I'm going to try a gentle two miles tomorrow.

Theoperator

Post by Theoperator »

Sounds like your nose is doing more running than your feet. Then again maybe your feet are doing more smelling than your nose :oops:

casgooner

Post by casgooner »

My feet smell of roses - at all times! :D You got it right about the nose though, it's depressing.

armchair

Post by armchair »

As I predicted its proving difficult for me to get back to the same distance and frequency I was doing before my knee started to become a problem. For the past couple weeks Ive only been able to do maybe one run a week if even that. This is due to work commitments but also in large part to the fact that I have had to mentally re-adjust which is exactly what I was afraid of ffs. For me right now it really is mind over matter. :|

Anyway, I refused to let it beat me and quite literately forced myself to get my trainers on and go for a run today. Albeit a nice route and a short distance. And a beautiful day helped too. :D

5.1 miles........42min 9sec
Absolutely beautiful day. Sunny but not too hot and a nice little breeze. Glorious really. :D

Average 8.26 min/mile

casgooner

Post by casgooner »

Back to gentle running after flu. Just doing two miles steady. I don't think I've clocked a mile so slow since I was crawling around the living room in nappies! Still, its a start. I'm taking vitamin c and zinc in the hope of keeping these horrible viruses and infections at bay.

armchair

Post by armchair »

5.1 miles........41min 39sec
Warm, overcast, no wind

Average 8.17min/mile

When they say exercise is "good for stress", is that because the exercise itself is fcuking hard and makes you forget about the stress you had in the first place? :?

casgooner

Post by casgooner »

armchair wrote:5.1 miles........41min 39sec
Warm, overcast, no wind

Average 8.17min/mile

When they say exercise is "good for stress", is that because the exercise itself is fcuking hard and makes you forget about the stress you had in the first place? :?
Yes :D

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Nos89 wrote:Whenever I consider taking up running there always seems to be a news report of someone dying during a running event. Someone died at the great north run on Sunday. Kind of puts me off.
Naaah mate when yer numbers up it's fucking UP!. :? - It's like those people who do all the danger sports etc...and then get knocked over by a bus...

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

casgooner wrote:
armchair wrote:5.1 miles........41min 39sec
Warm, overcast, no wind

Average 8.17min/mile

Yes :D
I can't run long distance any more - My knees are fucked...also shin splints which can be a right fucker....Used to do 8 - 10 miles 3 times a week and I would head out stressed about work/kids whatever - But by time I got back it had all fallen away....so I now have to do trampolining and cycling (apparently the cycling movement without the thumping on the ground is good for knee strength and flexion - - But I really miss the running - There's something about doing it on your own and trying to beat the self....tried walking football the other week but kept getting free-kicks against me for running.... :? :banghead:
Last edited by OneBardGooner on Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

casgooner wrote:I run, but I keep getting colds and stuff, so I get fit, get a cold, then I have to start all over again. Just getting over a cold now and I haven't run for 2 weeks. I'm going to try a gentle two miles tomorrow.
Regardless of the weather Hot, Warm, Chilly or freezing - You need to keep your throat/neck and chest covered - as in protected....also the legs - people who go running in just flimsy shorts and vests are asking to catch chills etc....you sweat like a barsteward yes, but it keeps the colds at bay....also the importance of the warm up AND the warm down cannot be over-estimated...and make sure you don't get 'chilly/shivers when warming down the body temp has to be reduced gradually...and drinking warm/tepid water rather than cold is much better for you...Cold water can stat a chill from within...it affects the digestive system and the liver - Both of which are the main sources for heating the body.

armchair

Post by armchair »

8.4 miles......1hr 11min 12sec
Lovely, warm day

Average 8.48min/mile

Slowly working my way back to where I was before my knee started giving me problems. Still a problem but think I can deal with it. The difficulty is getting my motivation back to where it was before.
#smallvictories :barscarf:

casgooner

Post by casgooner »

I ran 5 miles last week and 5 miles today. Taking onebard's advice to avoid colds and showering as soon as I've done cool down exercises.

Keep going armchair