Any runners on here?

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
greengooner

Any runners on here?

Post by greengooner »

Took running up last year as it's the only sport I'm capable of doing at the ripe old age of 45, every other sport seems to lead to life threatning injuries, finding it tough at the moment, just completed my first 10k race today in what I think is a respectable enough time, 51 mins, any tips on effective training methods would be appreciated.

northbank123

Re: Any runners on here?

Post by northbank123 »

Used to occasionally run casually but always played loads of sports. Picked it up from April last year and couldn't believe how quickly I progressed in the early days. Was never much good at it but went from blowing after a few miles to being able to do 8-10 miles at what I consider to be a decent pace after work a few times a week. Was perfect in the summer as I worked 8-4 and lived near the canal and river in Nottingham which had some great running routes.

Since August last year I've just had chest infection after chest infection and it's done my head in. Recovered for about four weeks and painstakingly ran as much as I could to try and build some fitness back up (only doing 2-3 miles as fitness had plummeted) but I've picked up another one since then.

armchair

Post by armchair »

I kinda dip in and out when my mood (and weather) permit.
Can do 5 miles with only a couple of inclines (mostly flat) in 44 mins. Just today I did 4 miles with two really serious steep hills in 36 mins. Still suffering.
Most I did was last year, 11 miles in bout 1hr 35 mins. Then I lost interest until about a month ago when I started again. Happy nuff with those numbers.

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

armchair wrote:I kinda dip in and out when my mood (and weather) permit.
Can do 5 miles with only a couple of inclines (mostly flat) in 44 mins. Just today I did 4 miles with two really serious steep hills in 36 mins. Still suffering.
Most I did was last year, 11 miles in bout 1hr 35 mins. Then I lost interest until about a month ago when I started again. Happy nuff with those numbers.
Thats really good times mate. Got into it heavily about 2 years ago and did a half marathon and a few organised 5k's but lost interest and have become unfit again now, disaapointingly :banghead:

armchair

Post by armchair »

flash gunner wrote:
Thats really good times mate. Got into it heavily about 2 years ago and did a half marathon and a organised few 5k's but lost interest and have become unfit again now, disaapointingly :banghead:
what really helps me is to have a playlist on my phone with good running music on. Makes a difference to times i feel

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

Yeah I have a Nike app that plays music and tracks distance, speed etc really useful. Have you ever taken part in a Parkrun? They are good with varying degrees of running abilities

armchair

Post by armchair »

flash gunner wrote:Yeah I have a Nike app that plays music and tracks distance, speed etc really useful. Have you ever taken part in a Parkrun? They are good with varying degrees of running abilities
Parrkruns are really popular these days. Usually 5k I think. Ive never done one as I like to just get up and go when I have the time or when I can be bothered. Not really into the organised runs tbh.

armchair

Post by armchair »

Had some free time today so decded to go for a run......

Distance:- 5.1miles
Conitions:- Cold, wet, windy
Route:- Gentle incline going, gentle decline back
Time:- 3hrs 45mins 6secs. :shock: (3hrs of that includes trying to motivate my lazy ass away from the sofa and Judge Judy so really 45mins 6secs. :wink: )
Music played:- Stle Council - Shout it to the top/Ellie Goulding - Burn/Enigma - Age of Lonliness/Rudimental - Waiting all night/Enigma - Rivers of Belief/Style Council - Speak Like a Child/George Ezra - Blame it on me/Rita Moreno - America/Glen Campbell - Rhinestone Cowboy/Pharrell Williams - Happy/Beach Boys - Good Vibrations/Style Council - Walls Come Tumbling Down/Lightning Seeds - Life of Riley

For the last 15mins I got caught in a hail storm. Actual fukin hail stones ffs. Took it easy and didnt pull up any trees but it took a lot of arguing with myself to get me out the door in the first place so happy enough. #smallvictories :barscarf:

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Find that a quick 2 or 3 mile run after work can be good for helping combat job stress. To a realistic degree anyway.

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

Not as effective as a ten minute stroll to the pub.

armchair

Post by armchair »

GranadaJoe wrote:Not as effective as a ten minute stroll to the pub.
Used to absolutely love going to the gym for a work-out, steam room/sauna then heading out for a few beers.
Lovely jubbly. :D

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Will the gayness on here never end? :gayflag:

:D :wink:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

flash gunner wrote:
Thats really good times mate. Got into it heavily about 2 years ago and did a half marathon and a few organised 5k's but lost interest and have become unfit again now, disaapointingly :banghead:

I know what you mean Flash, it is so easy to let it slip...and suddenly you have to start all over again...The hardest thing is actually Getting Fit - Once Fit it is a matter of 'ticking over' and gradually increasing the level of one's fitness, if that is what the aim is.

It's also a matter of trying to fit 3 or 4 Two hour sessions into the busy schedule of life - which most people have....a good way around that if you have kids is to include them in the activities - Swimming, Football, Running - whatever....

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

northbank123 wrote:Find that a quick 2 or 3 mile run after work can be good for helping combat job stress. To a realistic degree anyway.

Especially if you take a Baseball Bat with you and hit things olong the way...Now that REALLY does help with the stress relief....either that or a good ***** :D

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

Frank's done a runner.

:barscarf: