Decent Food, yes or no?

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
SPUDMASHER

Decent Food, yes or no?

Post by SPUDMASHER »

I've almost become evangelical about food and nutrition recently. Since the start of this year I've consciously been making smart decisions about what I eat, here's why.

I firmly believe that most of the lifestyle illnesses we have are a direct result of what we put in our mouths. Headaches, IBS, all manner of digestive illnesses, diabetes etc. etc. are caused by putting the bodies detoxing organs, namely the liver and kidneys, under extreme stress. Those organs are there to naturally detox the body but we make their job 100 times harder by filling our guts with all manner of toxins.

Since the start of the year I have been making a real effort to use Low HI foods. Low HI is Low Human Intervention. These are foods that have not been messed around with to get them to our tables. All the meals I eat are now prepared from fresh ingredients. Those ones you can find in the supermarket without a contents label on them. Fresh fruit and vegetables don't need labels. What would they put on them? Contents = Apple? I haven't given up meat but I have reduced it. Needless to say, I buy organic where I can and from local farmers markets and health shops. My grocery bill hasn't increased at all.

I've lost more than 2 stone since January (I've not been anywhere near a gym) and I can honestly say that I have never felt better. I have more energy, I'm far more alert, I sleep better than ever and to cap it all I haven't had a single headache or any other problem since I started.

I start every day with a ginger shot. Ginger is a natural anti histamine, anti inflammatory and antibiotic. What could be a better way to start the day? (blowjob excluded) Juicing is a bit of a revolution for me too. Freshly extracted from fruit and veg for at least one meal a day.

So what about you lot? Are you still eating CRAP (Carbonated Drinks, Refined sugar, Artificial food and Processed food. Or like me, have you seen the light?

Theoperator

Re: Decent Food, yes or no?

Post by Theoperator »

Apples- Caution may contain pips :D

Still on crap here, and I hope Burnley dont get relegated- their pies were great & chips cheap too :oops:

Interesting though IBS can be caused by too much veg- fermentable stuff, hence low FODMAP diets :wink:

Its all good though, think TBH one of the biggest baddies is alcohol, full of sugar and real poisons, that and smoking. Not sure that carbonated drinks do a lot of harm other than to teeth, Looking for a ginger shot each morning as well :oops:

Misses tells me everything in moderation :cussing: . Can you get a moderate mod in moderation though :rubchin:

SPUDMASHER

Post by SPUDMASHER »

Carbonated drinks are one of the worst things you can have. There's about 20 teaspoons of refined sugar in a can of coke. That's more than three times your recommended daily allowance and contains absolutely no nutritional value at all. That's the biggest problem with refined sugar.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Whilst you two are having gingers shoot their loads down your throat each morning I opt for a slightly less radical approach.

Not into any 'health foods' per se, just eat sensibly and in a fairly structured way Monday to Friday (and am actually aware of what is and isn't healthy which isn't actually true for a majority of people!). Plus things like not drinking during the week (apart from one or two on a Thursday), fairly easy to keep the weight off with a small amount of exercise and can still eat great food, there are bucketloads of great healthy recipes out there for just about every kind of meal.

Theoperator

Post by Theoperator »

SPUDMASHER wrote:Carbonated drinks are one of the worst things you can have. There's about 20 teaspoons of refined sugar in a can of coke. That's more than three times your recommended daily allowance and contains absolutely no nutritional value at all. That's the biggest problem with refined sugar.
Not if its diet Spuddy, agree otherwise, TBH I cant understand why people buy the full sugar drinks, yuk . NB123s is spot on other than the gingers of course :lol: - ordinary baked beans for example, full of sugar, currys stuffed full of sugar (Shop bought, restaurant even worse often) cereals often way overdone sugar the "energy drinks" what a heap of shite, you burn more energy opening the can, then a massive caffeine hit, no energy

Don't overdo carrots though , my ex did and ended with orange arms :lol: :lol:

SPUDMASHER

Post by SPUDMASHER »

You're right. Diet drinks contain aspartame. You might want to read the link below before buying another diet drink!

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/artic ... -food.aspx

It's pure evil in a can :evil:

Red Snapper

Post by Red Snapper »

SPUDMASHER wrote:You're right. Diet drinks contain aspartame. You might want to read the link below before buying another diet drink!

We're all going to die!!! :shock:

Theoperator

Post by Theoperator »

SPUDMASHER wrote:You're right. Diet drinks contain aspartame. You might want to read the link below before buying another diet drink!

Its banned in the US- thats whats wrong with them all :lol: :wink:

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

northbank123 wrote:Whilst you two are having gingers shoot their loads down your throat each morning I opt for a slightly less radical approach.

Not into any 'health foods' per se, just eat sensibly and in a fairly structured way Monday to Friday (and am actually aware of what is and isn't healthy which isn't actually true for a majority of people!). Plus things like not drinking during the week (apart from one or two on a Thursday), fairly easy to keep the weight off with a small amount of exercise and can still eat great food, there are bucketloads of great healthy recipes out there for just about every kind of meal.
Similar attitude with me - I love my food but eat pretty healthily, lucky with my weight as I haven't changed much in years (even after stopping playing football)

Eat cereal for breakfast - usually crunchy nut cornflakes, or Weetabix with a cut up banana on top.
Occasionally have hot cross bun or toast with marmalade or peanut butter.
Have a cup of tea ( no sugar) and a glass of fruit juice (proper stuff not "drink" or from concentrate)

Lunch - take a pack up to work each day ( I am field based so avoid the lure of KFC, Mc Donalds etc)

Granary roll with crème cheese and ham (or a wrap) recently cut down from 2 to 1 :)
Handful of cherry tomatoes, cucumber sticks, apple and 2 bars of chocolate / cereal bars.
Gave up crisps a few years ago, I used to eat a bag everyday but came to the conclusion that they weren't very good for me.

Eat a handful of nuts / cranberries / seeds / chocolate drops which is a great filler and apparently is very good for the body.

Dinner is usually pasta bake or chicken wraps or a spag bol / chilli (drain the fat off the mince before adding sauce etc)

Hardly drink much alcohol - bought a case of bud at xmas and have just got through it - occasional whisky or rum though :)

I do drink a lot of water, about 2 litres a day partly due to having a gout attack a year ago which I am very keen to avoid a repeat of as it hurt like hell.

Anyway, anything in moderation is ok, if you like it eat it but try to have a fairly balanced diet and exercise a bit :)

Henry Norris 1913

Post by Henry Norris 1913 »

people that look at labels and care about nutritional values are nerds. stop reading and start eating. christ imagine you lot on a deserted island after a plane crash :shock:

"oooh, not sure about the nutritional value of this dead beetle, how about a weightwatchers carrot soup".

I know who'd be the first passenger to be eaten!