The Cricket Thread

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
officepest
Location: Lacking a little bit of sharpness in the final third.

Re: The Ashes

Post by officepest »

85 - 6.

Buttler doing his level best to be dropped before we go to the UAE. He's destructive in ODIs, but wretched so far in tests. :evil:

What a downer to the end of the series from an England perspective.

LDB
Location: Having a cup of tea and waiting for all this to blow over

Post by LDB »

True but his keeping has been much improved from what I've seen which will probably keep him in the side.

I do feel for him slightly in that he keeps coming in without the top order having set any kind of platform. No doubt he should do better but there's no point packing your lower-middle order with ODI/T20 sloggers if they're consistently coming in with less than 100 on the board. He's caught in 2 minds in that situation.

Unless there are some serious heroics in his second innings Lyth is done for, his dismissal today would embarrass a club cricketer.

At the moment our batting seems to be:

Plan A - Root makes big runs
Plan B - ?????

officepest

Post by officepest »

And another goes. :shock:

And another while I type... :lol:

Stokes 15, Broad 0.

Siddle showing why he should have played from the start.

officepest

Post by officepest »

LDB wrote:True but his keeping has been much improved from what I've seen which will probably keep him in the side.

I do feel for him slightly in that he keeps coming in without the top order having set any kind of platform. No doubt he should do better but there's no point packing your lower-middle order with ODI/T20 sloggers if they're consistently coming in with less than 100 on the board. He's caught in 2 minds in that situation.

Unless there are some serious heroics in his second innings Lyth is done for, his dismissal today would embarrass a club cricketer.

At the moment our batting seems to be:

Plan A - Root makes big runs
Plan B - ?????
Yes, Lyth is dog meat.

Disagree re Buttler: He’s there to score runs first and foremost and seems incapable of playing his natural game. I wouldn’t be surprised if Bairstow gets the gloves, Ali moves to open and Rashid is in for the Pakistan tests.

Buttler has potential, but he hasn’t demonstrated he has the gumption at test level yet. Not that I’m singling him out specifically; our batting has been piss-poor for the longest time now.

officepest

Post by officepest »

107 - 8 at stumps.

England were wretched. That is all.

officepest

Post by officepest »

England all out for 149 and 31 - 1 after being made to follow on by Australia.

Lyth was dismissed for 10 and that will probably be the last we see of him in the test arena for a while.

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

nut flush gooner wrote:
arseofacrow wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:So at last we have a 5 day pitch. My ticket is for Monday's play - happy days until I look at the weather forecast, yep it's gonna rain.

#ashesjinx

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Stop blaming the pitches.

England only put the aussies in on a flatish wicket so that you might get use of your ticket, Show some gratitude :D :barscarf:
Flatish wicket, did you see that cook ball spin from leg to off!
Yep, lyon made it talk.

I said flatish mate, not dead. The clue is in the words :wink:

Offers: What the fuck happened last night?

:shock: :D

officepest

Post by officepest »

Arse:

It was an England collapse worthy of any of our poor 90s teams.

England are 100 - 3 with Bell and Root going. As soon as Cook goes the dominoes will fall.

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

officepest wrote:Arse:

It was an England collapse worthy of any of our poor 90s teams.

England are 100 - 3 with Bell and Root going. As soon as Cook goes the dominoes will fall.
The best we can hope for is to bat out today and then rain to fall.

However, for nuts' sanity perhaps they could play day 5 tomorrow before day 4 :D

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

I have lost my sanity. Second time i've been done over by England this summer.

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Now all I want is rain and lots of it today. Looks like tomorrow is going to be wet anyway.

Ho hum, as I said earlier at least they wont cancel arsenal vs pool.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Don't follow the cricket - But a colleague said Eng;and had fucked up - and instead of totally humiliating the ozzies by following up the last game where they demolished them within the first innings - they blew it and let the smug upsidedown cock suckers off the hook.

sounds about right for england.

LDB
Location: Having a cup of tea and waiting for all this to blow over

Post by LDB »

OneBardGooner wrote:Don't follow the cricket - But a colleague said Eng;and had fucked up - and instead of totally humiliating the ozzies by following up the last game where they demolished them within the first innings - they blew it and let the smug upsidedown cock suckers off the hook.

That and we're nowhere near as good as the ozzies made us look in the last game

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Well if it ain't Cricket - then the answer MUST BE "Rock N Roll" (At it very bloomin Best!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kE32pvvaDT8

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dancingbanana:

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Surprising and very enjoyable series win for England. Some tremendous performances too.

Awful from Australia mind (as well as England in parts). I'm all for positive cricket and trying to play the longer form of the game in a more entertaining fashion, but not at the expense of common fucking sense. Too often when wickets were tumbling players were still getting out to idiotic aggressive shots. 5-day cricket shouldn't be an extended version of the limited overs game where the result is determined by one or two sessions of madness EVERY game - test cricket needs that ebb and flow, pendulum-swinging entertainment as well as the dramatic and swashbuckling play. Entertaining in the short-term and a great series win but ultimately 5 uncompetitive results - people will get bored with this new form of the game pretty quickly if this keeps on happening.

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

LDB wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:Don't follow the cricket - But a colleague said Eng;and had fucked up - and instead of totally humiliating the ozzies by following up the last game where they demolished them within the first innings - they blew it and let the smug upsidedown cock suckers off the hook.

That and we're nowhere near as good as the ozzies made us look in the last game
That's about right.

We just saw the technical limitations of both teams and took full advantage of the conditions match situations at the most critical times.

Much better England sides/players failed their whole career against Aus because of their standards.

Still, a win's a win and there are positives. Root for sure.

:barscarf: