Billy Connolly

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
Nos89

Billy Connolly

Post by Nos89 »

Went and saw him at the Apollo last night and he was absolutely brilliant. Despite the Parkinson's disease beginning to take visible affect on his mobility his standup routine was spot on, and his observation on life brilliantly funny. First saw the guy back in 1993 and never laughed as hard or as often in a 3 hour show that night. Last night he performed a 2 hour, 20 minute show. He made us laugh at Parkinson disease symptoms, witchdoctor cancer treatment, the anti-smoking zealots', coming up with the statement, " Everytime you light up a cigarette, God takes an hour from your life and gives it to Keith Richards."
I know he's not to everyone's tastes as he does swear and challenges conventional thoughts on life. He continues to be quite brilliant and long may it continue.

Sean

Re: Billy Connolly

Post by Sean »

The man is a comedy legend :barscarf:

Gutted to hear about his Parkinsons diagnosis though :(

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Simply Very VERY Funny. :D

augie

Post by augie »

The first stand up comedian that I ever watched and liked 8) I remember years ago when I lived at home with my parents, I rented a video of the big yen and I sat down one night to watch it in our living room (which is situated under my parents room) - the Scottish accent was throwing me early so I had to turn up the volume and my mother went ballistic cos the volume of the tv and my uncontrollable laughing kept waking her up :lol: :lol: :lol:

Have to say that in recent years I have come to the belief that parkinsons disease is almost as bad as cancer - to watch people you love just sitting there and not having a Scooby doo who you are, must be heartbreaking for their families :( People with parkinsons can live like that for years and that compounds the problem.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

augie wrote:The first stand up comedian that I ever watched and liked 8) I remember years ago when I lived at home with my parents, I rented a video of the big yen and I sat down one night to watch it in our living room (which is situated under my parents room) - the Scottish accent was throwing me early so I had to turn up the volume and my mother went ballistic cos the volume of the tv and my uncontrollable laughing kept waking her up :lol: :lol: :lol:

Have to say that in recent years I have come to the belief that parkinsons disease is almost as bad as cancer - to watch people you love just sitting there and not having a Scooby doo who you are, must be heartbreaking for their families :( People with parkinsons can live like that for years and that compounds the problem.

Wow are video recorders that old.

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

augie wrote:The first stand up comedian that I ever watched and liked 8) I remember years ago when I lived at home with my parents, I rented a video of the big yen and I sat down one night to watch it in our living room (which is situated under my parents room) - the Scottish accent was throwing me early so I had to turn up the volume and my mother went ballistic cos the volume of the tv and my uncontrollable laughing kept waking her up :lol: :lol: :lol:

augie, i dont think parkinsons does that. that is alzeimers/dementia.

please correct me if wrong but parkinsons is isue of nerve control, not being able to control muscles, hence contanst shaking etc. michael j fox has it i think and there are increasingly effective meds that control parkinsons as well as other more radical (skull drilling) measures that can help.

so thankfully for billy c he wont lose his faculties as crap a desease as parkinsons is. i think your reffering to alzheimers which really is a heartbreaker

(at least i think thats right)

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

parkinsons disease itself doesn't cause those symptoms, but sufferers are at high risk of developing Parkinson's disease dementia which apparently affects 50-80% of sufferers eventually.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

northbank123 wrote:parkinsons disease itself doesn't cause those symptoms, but sufferers are at high risk of developing Parkinson's disease dementia which apparently affects 50-80% of sufferers eventually.
This is true. My father in law was diagnosed with Parkinson's a couple years ago and the consultant told us that was a risk. Also, later on, thinking and behavioral problems can become an issue. Dementia is actually very common in the advanced stages of the disease. Other symptoms are depression, sleep related issues and emotional problems, and sensory deprivation/spacial awareness difficulties. Terribly sad to see a strong man that was a brave Firefighter (attended the horrific Stardust fire - Oirish punters will know what that was) and great father to his kids now losing control of his hands and legs.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Nos89 wrote:Went and saw him at the Apollo last night and he was absolutely brilliant. Despite the Parkinson's disease beginning to take visible affect on his mobility his standup routine was spot on, and his observation on life brilliantly funny. First saw the guy back in 1993 and never laughed as hard or as often in a 3 hour show that night. Last night he performed a 2 hour, 20 minute show. He made us laugh at Parkinson disease symptoms, witchdoctor cancer treatment, the anti-smoking zealots', coming up with the statement, " Everytime you light up a cigarette, God takes an hour from your life and gives it to Keith Richards."
I know he's not to everyone's tastes as he does swear and challenges conventional thoughts on life. He continues to be quite brilliant and long may it continue.
RE; The Big Yin, is he still doing the "Wirebrush and Dettol" Joke? Always loved that one. :lol: 8)

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

northbank123 wrote:parkinsons disease itself doesn't cause those symptoms, but sufferers are at high risk of developing Parkinson's disease dementia which apparently affects 50-80% of sufferers eventually.

I see. v worrying didn't realise it was linked

storrmin571

Post by storrmin571 »

My father in law has early stage Parkinsons. Can see his hands are starting to shake more now. It must be getting worse as he trusted me to put up a set of drawers. :barscarf:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »