The 'I told you so' EU referendum - Officially the Worst Thread Ever

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.

Remain or leave

Remain
37%
Leave
63%

Total votes: 81

A11M11

Re: The 'I told you so' EU referendum - Officially the Worst Thread Ever

Post by A11M11 »

Happy for you,I left Kentish Town 1979 when the interest rates became too much. Lived out of London since then and dont regret it. Only visit to go to the Arsenal now. Most, if not all of my peers had to do the same,shame in some ways but then I like the tranquillity, local pubs , the craft beers , the community and the night sky in my hot tub.

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

A11M11 wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:00 pm
Happy for you,I left Kentish Town 1979 when the interest rates became too much. Lived out of London since then and dont regret it. Only visit to go to the Arsenal now. Most, if not all of my peers had to do the same,shame in some ways but then I like the tranquillity, local pubs , the craft beers , the community and the night sky in my hot tub.
I was born in Whittington hospital, brought up in Archway. It used to be very working class, a borderline rough area. Now a 3 floor townhouse won't go for any less than £1.5m. It's a nice area now, but too congested. Luckily I live on the Piccadilly line now further out so still close to the ground. It still only takes 20 mins to get to the pub for a pre match beer.

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

Used to drink in The flask nice old pub and music in the Gatehouse in the early 70's and there was a jazz pub down the hill near the heath.we used to drink our way back from Highbury to Hampstead after matches.

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

A11M11 wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:14 pm
Used to drink in The flask nice old pub and music in the Gatehouse in the early 70's and there was a jazz pub down the hill near the heath.we used to drink our way back from Highbury to Hampstead after matches.
Cant speak about the quality of pubs in the area, I left for the suburbs when I was 5!

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

Early 20's when I left . The whole Hampstead and Highgate area was a great drinking area 25 pubs in a square mile and the heath in summer.

Brightonnxtround

Post by Brightonnxtround »

Papermills on the heath was a good pub

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

Papermills on the heath was a good pub.

Don't know that one unless there was a name change.

On the Heath was the Freemasons on Downshire hill , then The White Bear further up East Heath road , , then Jack Straws near the Vale of health and the Spaniards going towards Golders Green . They were really the only ones close to the Heath at the top end. The railway tavern at the bottom by the station that once went to Highbury and Islington .
But even looking at Google maps I can't find it.

Brightonnxtround

Post by Brightonnxtround »

Yes my mistake it was called jack straws castle ; nice pub though

Red Snapper

Post by Red Snapper »

Jack Straw's is now a gym and I think apartments. Used to go there in the 70's. Spaniards Inn is still there causing a roadblock :cussing:

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Can’t see any mention of Brexit in that report ? You getting desperate ?

It also states it was still the 6th best year ever !

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

Here we are - the Brexit year ahead...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... aks-brexit

this is the year Brexit can and will be stopped. We need to take back control of our country :barscarf:

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

Don't panic Rob , read the article and luckily the Panto season is nearly over.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

A11M11 wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:19 am
Don't panic Rob , read the article and luckily the Panto season is nearly over.
you Brexiteers are facing a losing battle - whether Brexit happens or not then it will soon be reversed, it will only be a matter of time.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-politic ... -dying-out

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

And the generation that want it will reap what they sew. If you do go back in , you will live to regret it . You remind me of the AKB " Be careful what you wish for " crowd. Those that are to scared to put their feet over the line.
I don't want my grandchildren tilting at the Russian windmills in a Don Quijote styled E.U army

. I do not wish to see the U.K in a monetary union with them and mark my words if we go back to withdraw Article 50 that will be one of their first demands .Afterall when Brown sold off the gold reserves he bought Euros to prop up the currency at the time.

I would like to see the CAP totally wiped out , I want subsidies to go to the man that farms the land , not the owner ( see Heseltine ) . I would like to see British farmers grow profitable crops rather than the low cost animal feed we are told to by Brussels. why when the subs are divvied out do we recieve 7% of the funds whereas profit making ""farms ? "" or should I say smallholdings in France gets 17% , Germany 12% , Spain 13 % and italy 11 %. once again we pay more into the CAP than we get out

I want to see this insane housing policy reversed where we are building anywhere we can find space despite the number of brownfield sites remaining under developed as speculators wait for the reward values to increase

. I want to see the end to the crazy fishing policy which due to the E.U allowing Dutch boats to use electric stun rods to obtain their quotas and leave all the other dead fish to rot and wash up on Norfolk and Suffolk's beaches.

There are lots of things I would like to see and in my opinion we can only do these things when we have the capacity to make our own laws and adhere to them. If we stay within the group we will always do what is best for them.

The EU's plan has always been to make the U.K dependent on them and despite our politicians winning the odd skirmish we have been overridden on far too many thiings that have suited France and Germany in particular. We now have an unatural growth in population , sorry I haven't died yet . which means we are now building on farmland which means that the cost of food will increase as our own population or should I say people living here outgrows our ability to feed it. Such is the desperation that we are building on areas designated by Natural England as flood plains. and as the weather in the last weeks has demonstrated we have not got the resources or policies to fight it.
Then of course we come to the NHS , something for which I am eternally grateful for and something which hopefully will keep me alive to fight my corner. This a governmental fuck up in which administration has been allowed to grow and run away with and now they seem hell bent on selling off the profitable bits and like the railways and post office it will eventually fade and die. It needs funding and reorganisation but efficiently not by the civil service another department that seems to exist to self promote and grow out of proportions.

As the referendum results came in I was attending a Norwegian friends silver wedding party in Catalunya . Despite being pleased with the result and not a little shocked , I also told him that we would not leave because the powers that be would not allowed it. So which ever way it goes I am happy because we leave and I see a greater future for my extended family or if we stay I have the satisfaction of knowing that my cynicism was correct.