The 'I told you so' EU referendum - Officially the Worst Thread Ever

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.

Remain or leave

Remain
37%
Leave
63%

Total votes: 81

Gunner Rob

Re: The 'I told you so' EU referendum - Officially the Worst Thread Ever

Post by Gunner Rob »

A11M11 wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:33 pm
But you did not have Robinson's people leading your march and becoming a target.
thanks for coming up with another reason as why to oppose Brexit.
it just seems to be the hardened right wingers now who want it.

most normal people just want to ditch Brexit, now that the realities of it have been made clear.

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

No that's what you are led to believe . If anything In my area I would estimate that the feeling has hardened . People are well aware of what they wanted and it's not being delivered.
Anyhow it looks like the May charade is to continue ,she will nip off to Brussels Thursday and come back with a pre agreed concession and try to force that through.
I saw an article recently that equated her condition to one of someone with Stockholm syndrome who despite knowing that she needs to be strong is drawn to the union and needs their consent prior to enacting any decision.

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

A11M11 wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:05 pm
No that's what you are led to believe . If anything In my area I would estimate that the feeling has hardened . People are well aware of what they wanted and it's not being delivered.
Anyhow it looks like the May charade is to continue ,she will nip off to Brussels Thursday and come back with a pre agreed concession and try to force that through.
I saw an article recently that equated her condition to one of someone with Stockholm syndrome who despite knowing that she needs to be strong is drawn to the union and needs their consent prior to enacting any decision.
That's your area a provincial part of the south-east. I would say that a lot of the more moderate leavers are now concerned as to the implications of brexit, be it soft or hard.

It's much more tangible to them that this could end up with compromised living standards. For the hard liners and we see this on Sky News all the time with the "lets just get on with it brigade", it's like fuck the rest of the country, I've had a shit time of it down the years so I don't care.

With regards to Tommy Robinson, UKIP have now shown their true colours. Even Nigel Farage is not happy with what's going on in his former party. You have to give him credit for speaking out against the current leadership.

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/fo ... ukip-chaos

If there was a 2nd referendum on staying or leaving the EU, remain would win by a country mile. It wouldn't really be fair on the brexiteers but hey life is just like that isn't it.
Last edited by nut flush gooner on Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

A11M11 wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:05 pm
why would the EU offer any concessions ?
can't believe you are still not getting that after 2 years!

she will be lucky to still be PM come the end of the week.

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

Why ? Because the deal is so far in their favour they will not want to lose it . Any compromise will be cosmetic and just enough to bring the DUP back on board so that they get the deal they want.
It's called politics and it was probably agreed a couple of weeks ago.

nut flush gooner

A11M11 wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:27 pm
Why ? Because the deal is so far in their favour they will not want to lose it . Any compromise will be cosmetic and just enough to bring the DUP back on board so that they get the deal they want.
And you believed that we could actually get a decent deal. The Europeans wanted to shaft us this has been known for years, as things stand they could probably offer a few concessions on the backstop now and things would still be heavily in their favour.

Speaking of the backstop, I wonder what you're understanding of what the backstop actually is.

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

Strangely yes I do ,

I may not have the same opinion as you and Rob and I may not be well read of English newspapers but I do know what I am saying just as I knew what I was voting for. I glean information from a number of sources and try to make judgment in my own mind . I may not be in the bubble but here in East Anglia we use our extra fingers to get information from many sources not only from what was once Fleet Street.

nut flush gooner

A11M11 wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:18 pm
Strangely yes I do ,

I may not have the same opinion as you and Rob and I may not be well read of English newspapers but I do know what I am saying just as I knew what I was voting for. I glean information from a number of sources and try to make judgment in my own mind . I may not be in the bubble but here in East Anglia we use our extra fingers to get information from many sources not only from what was once Fleet Street.
So please explain the backstop in lay mans terms. Not Westminster speak.

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

I am not sure quite why I am responding to this as your supercilliousness knows no bounds .
However the backstop is a fall back should the two parties fail to reach a trade agreement within the time frame of the period of negotiation. This applies in the greater part to the Northern Ireland / Eire border but also enables the two parties to continue trading without interruption throughout the negotiation
For this ability to leave but continue on we must pay an exhorbitant amount of money for the priviledge, in effect paying more than double the sum which we are likely to get out. Furthermore if the agreement is not reached within the set period we have no ability to get out of it without the E.U's prior say so. Good deal for them ! ( drag their feet and keep the money rolling in.) and prevent us from doing any deals that might impact on their finances.
Also tactically it's not a good position for us because if we want to avoid going into this debacle the members of the 27 remaining countries will have open house to blackmail and squeeze every last drop they can from us.
Go into backstop and continue in the customs union and the single market so that goods and people can cross over the Irish border unhindered.
Not exactly Brexit is it.

However tonight it seems that there might be some movement on this but i doubt it will be enough to mollify those of us that wish to sever our ties .

nut flush gooner

A11M11 wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:00 am
I am not sure quite why I am responding to this as your supercilliousness knows no bounds .
However the backstop is a fall back should the two parties fail to reach a trade agreement within the time frame of the period of negotiation. This applies in the greater part to the Northern Ireland / Eire border but also enables the two parties to continue trading without interruption throughout the negotiation
For this ability to leave but continue on we must pay an exhorbitant amount of money for the priviledge, in effect paying more than double the sum which we are likely to get out. Furthermore if the agreement is not reached within the set period we have no ability to get out of it without the E.U's prior say so. Good deal for them ! ( drag their feet and keep the money rolling in.) and prevent us from doing any deals that might impact on their finances.
Also tactically it's not a good position for us because if we want to avoid going into this debacle the members of the 27 remaining countries will have open house to blackmail and squeeze every last drop they can from us.
Go into backstop and continue in the customs union and the single market so that goods and people can cross over the Irish border unhindered.
Not exactly Brexit is it.

However tonight it seems that there might be some movement on this but i doubt it will be enough to mollify those of us that wish to sever our ties .
Well pasted, what right wing publication did you get that tosh from. Leaving the customs union will cost this country a lot more than we have to pay for the provision of a quasi solution. Its already been quantified that even using the backstop via the agreement TM ratified with the europeans, that it would have much less of an economic impact than a hard brexit. I posted the details last week.

So I go back to my previous point, we never have had the upper hand in negotiations. A hard brexit doesnt solve the NI issue. We need to go back to the drawing board and find a solution and quick.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

A11M11 wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:27 pm
you really are quite naïve.

this all comes down to what I originally said 2 years ago and yet was dismissed by Brexiteers as Project Fear - that the EU hold all the cards in the negotiations. They have stated that the deal agreed a couple of weeks ago is the final deal and they won't back down now.

the ignorance and stubbornness shown by Brexiteers is dragging this country down.
the remainers are the true British patriots, trying to keep the country afloat. The PM is trying her best to please both sides of the argument, but by now she should be doing what is in the best interests of the country.

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

Well pasted!

Comptemptious , arrogant , boorish and wrong.

Herd

Post by Herd »

I see we haven't got anywhere since I last popped in .
The gall of modern politicians simply no no bounds ,this government has stalled this process ,come up with an unworkable solution and then tries to hurry us into a headlock that we can never escape from ,Its better to stay in europe than the current proposal and they know it full well.
When it gets voted down we will stay in Europe which was the plan all along May will be ousted but cry no tears for she will be richly rewarded by the powers that be for keeping us in .
The whole thing has been an illusion to fool us into thinking we live in a democracy when of course that is a foolish notion and very dangerous .

Go back to sleep everyone ,theres nothing to see here ,when I wake up I want more tits ,more minge and more drugs !

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

Herd wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:25 am
I see we haven't got anywhere since I last popped in .
The gall of modern politicians simply no no bounds ,this government has stalled this process ,come up with an unworkable solution and then tries to hurry us into a headlock that we can never escape from ,Its better to stay in europe than the current proposal and they know it full well.
When it gets voted down we will stay in Europe which was the plan all along May will be ousted but cry no tears for she will be richly rewarded by the powers that be for keeping us in .
The whole thing has been an illusion to fool us into thinking we live in a democracy when of course that is a foolish notion and very dangerous .

Go back to sleep everyone ,theres nothing to see here ,when I wake up I want more tits ,more minge and more drugs !
coming up with conspiracy theories now are we ?

can I remind you that the Brexit deal which is struggling to get through Parliament was actually approved between Theresa May and the EU a couple of weeks ago. This would actually deliver Brexit - admittedly not the fantasy Brexit that you and A11M11 want, but it would have fulfilled what you voted for in 2016, whether you like that or not.

the ONLY reason that the UK is not proceeding with this Brexit for now is because Dominic Grieve narrowly won a vote a year ago, which gave Parliament the right to vote on any deal.

It is the Brexiteers in Parliament that are stopping Brexit! I will say it again - it is this deal OR Brexit won't happen.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

A11M11 wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:50 am
Well pasted!

Comptemptious , arrogant , boorish and wrong.
if you are talking about what I wrote, I confirm that it was not pasted from anywhere (so thanks for the compliment :D )
I did tone it down and left out stupid and thick :lol: