The 'I told you so' EU referendum - Officially the Worst Thread Ever

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.

Remain or leave

Remain
37%
Leave
63%

Total votes: 81

nut flush gooner

Re: The 'I told you so' EU referendum - Officially the Worst Thread Ever

Post by nut flush gooner »

The Arsenal Way wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:55 pm
Tony G ?

That all you got ?????
Idiot.

Insults, because you're a loser idiot
Seriously, if you can have a grown-up debate I am all ears. But if as you have identified yourself as a senior citizen who can't act his age, I will not even give you the time of day.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

For Christ's sake lads can you all stop the name calling and personal insults please. We have rules for this on here. Not many rules compared to most forums and we mod with a light hand but we rely on you guys to somewhat police your own conduct.

nut flush gooner

So with a slew of bad financial results, the latest coming from ASOS today it would appear unlike countries such as the US our consumer confidence is brittle to say the least. Common denominator Brexit perhaps.

The economy might not have gone into recession, but its not grown as much as it should have since 2016 for sure and with much higher prices for consumer staples and petrol as a result of our weak currency. Is it really worth all this hassle.

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

Economy , Economy , Economy ! Think about the rest of it. !

Herd

Post by Herd »

The stitch up enters it's critical stage ,May has delayed the vote to the 3rd week in January, why is that I wonder ?
Because at that' stage it's too late to pull out of Europe by end march so even if she loses the vote we are still in the Eu which has been the intention all along .
She will be richly rewarded for this I can assure you ,the whole (non) Brexit has been a massive fraud on the gullible British Public !
Democracy my arse !

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

Strangely the price of a litre of Sin Plomo ( unleaded ) is 1.27 in Barcelona . of course that's in euros so equates to approx £ 1.14 . It's tax that holds the price not the exchange rate .

nut flush gooner

A11M11 wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:58 am
Strangely the price of a litre of Sin Plomo ( unleaded ) is 1.27 in Barcelona . of course that's in euros so equates to approx £ 1.14 . It's tax that holds the price not the exchange rate .
Tax on petrol has remained the same level for years. The petrol price is a reflection of crude oil, which is priced in dollars. When the pound weakens petrol prices goes up, when the price of oil falls the price comes down.

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

And the Euro stays the same ? so why the price parity ?

nut flush gooner

A11M11 wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:17 am
And the Euro stays the same ? so why the price parity ?
Depends on what timeframe you compare the exchange rate. Prior to the referendum, the pound vs euro was 1.40 versus 1.12-1.14 last summer when I was in Spain. The euro isn't really relevant to petrol prices anyway because every country levies a different tax on petrol. The dollar is what we need to focus on, when it comes to petrol. Hence the higher prices.

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

every country levies a different tax on petrol.

Until the eu take control of taxation .

Petrol the week before the referendum was £ 1.12 to 15 average . Today it's between £1.25supermarket to £1.32 shell/bp sites . I filled up at Morrisons on Sunday and paid £ 1.16 but that was a promotion . Still we have to shop around.

So yes it's gone up but not to the levels it was in 2015 before the referendum where it was cheapest at 1.35.

Personally I wish the pound was stronger but once the final action over Brexit is taken I am sure the markets will cash in and then as things progress it will rise in value.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

A11M11 wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:15 pm

Petrol the week before the referendum was £ 1.12 to 15 average . Today it's between £1.25supermarket to £1.32 shell/bp sites . I filled up at Morrisons on Sunday and paid £ 1.16 but that was a promotion . Still we have to shop around.

So yes it's gone up but not to the levels it was in 2015 before the referendum where it was cheapest at 1.35.

Personally I wish the pound was stronger but once the final action over Brexit is taken I am sure the markets will cash in and then as things progress it will rise in value.
I thought you said Brexit was about more than the economy ?

if we ever have what you want and a no deal Brexit, then expect the pound to fall further.
we havent even started the economic decline yet.

nut flush gooner

A11M11 wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:15 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44453931

Not so. The recent falls in petrol are in relation to the falling price of crude oil as I alluded to in my previous post. If you look at the graph, the price of oil spiked since 2016.

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

That bbc report was issued 6 months ago. I took those figures from my VAT receipts which I have to keep for 4 more years .It seemed a more accurate way of finding out than looking around google for a chart .

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

Rob , it is , but I have been having a quite respectful conversation with Nut flush on the price of fuel . One day we might switch to the price of fish :D

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

So thousands of troops have been put on standby and the Health Secretary is buying up fridges to stockpile medicines :roll:

Project fear or Project reality ?
Well when this involves £2 billion being spent in order to prepare the country for a no deal exit, this is very much the reality don’t you think ?

A £2 billion that would be far better spent on the crumbling NHS this winter is instead being spent by the government to educate the Brexiteers on what the realities of Brexit are going to entail. Madness!