The 'I told you so' EU referendum - Officially the Worst Thread Ever

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.

Remain or leave

Remain
37%
Leave
63%

Total votes: 81

OneBardGooner

Re: The 'I told you so' EU referendum - Officially the Worst Thread Ever

Post by OneBardGooner »

phpBB [video]

augie

Post by augie »

Herd wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:15 pm
augie wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:40 pm
Herd wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:26 pm
Without being rude I am not responsible for our countries colonial past nor have I benefited from it so please fuck off.
I have tried in vain to prevent our country getting involved in more wars and destruction but still we kill people in lands we have no right to be in except as tourists but unfortunately by the time we finish with them there's nothing left of them . I'm very lucky to have visited Iraq , Syria and Libya and wether you liked their leaders or not all of those countries had high standards of living and were very safe. Imagine that ! Quite what the fuck that has to do with the EU debate is beyond me you fucking low life numb nuts.

That's not aimed at me is it herd ?? :?
Never Augie , I actually chuckled about your raising Ireland . The clue was in the word nuts ,quite how you can make currency in a EU debate to by citing the shame of our colonial past is completely beyond me but the more I hear from this man the less I'm surprised .
I hate it whem people try to make me feel personally responsible for our colonial past ,be it a 7th generation american in a bar in the Bronx who thinks my family personally ran the black and tans or an Indian whose great grandmother perished in partition .
And for once he's right we never colonized Libya,Syria or Iraq but we have had an active part in destroying their countries killing a million or so in the process and reducing their counties to rubble and making them unsafe to live in .
At least we left you Irish some nice Georgian Buildings ,I remember when visiting the FAI,I thought I was in BAth !

They left the place a few years ago and now are based out in abbotstown on the outskirts of Dublin - it is a windy b.astard of a spot and the "HQ" feels and looks like a prefab building in the middle of nowhere :roll:

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:12 pm
A11M11 wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:44 am
Religion is irrelevent ?
I wish it was , I saw through it at about 10 years old . Nice stories about right and wrong but corrupted for the desire for control and power. Rather like the E.U.

, the new referendum splits the Brexit vote asunder by not asking again in or out but offering several options on Brexit ie Norway plus ,Hard Brexit ,Brino exit OR option 4 Remain in the EU. Option 4 wins even if opts 1-2-3 get more votes.

Of course to follow democracy to it's end the vote should be to revoke article 50 to renegotiate for a limited time ( 6 months )or to leave without a deal.

So what about the British desire to corrupt and control for hundreds of years?

I think you conveniently forget this country's role in wanting to rule large swathes of the world for its own personal benefit. How many countries did we invade, conquer and leave them in a mess on independence? Britain has had a hand in many regional conflicts. Cyprus and India/Pakistan being the most obvious ones.

As soon as the ball is on the other foot, and there are rules coming from outside this country you don't like it, even though you don't understand half of them and how they benefit the country. It's not like we are under any military threat from the rest of Europe.
Is England the only country to invade & conquer in the historical past ?

What about Italy and the Romans ?
What about Spanish conquistadors ?
What about France in Africa ?

Even Belgium for f sake

AkneyGooner

Post by AkneyGooner »

the dutch
the portugese as well

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

augie wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:29 pm
Jock Gooner wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:49 am
Apparently there was a million people marching in London to stay in the EU. Now in fairness that is a lot of people isn't it.....a MILLION. That's a big old number. About the number of people more who voted to leave than remain funnily enough so there's the real value of a million people.

Here's a thought. Why don't we give democracy a propert try. Respect the vote and leave. IF it turns out to be the end of the world which nobody fucking knows either way then we just rejoin. We lose our current terms - so what. All you Europeeps out there would be back in the fold and if we have to pay a few extra billion into the coffers so fucking what. But then again if things worked out then that would be ok too.

Whoa, whoa, whoa - what makes you think that Britain would be let back in ?? I don't know what will happen if/when you do leave, and I hope that you lot do stay, but if you leave then you shouldn't be let back in. Rightly or wrongly the uk will have made a lot of enemies in Europe over this whole fiasco, and I absolutely expect that list to get bigger when you leave and the brainless few (boris Johnson and farage for starters) come out with their bravado bullshit about telling Europe to fcuk off, so why would they let the uk back in ? Personally I don't think ye can have it both ways …….. we'd love ye to stay, but if ye go there can be no turning back imo
It's a club - you pay your dues, if you want to rejoin - big deal. This is the EU we are talking about and as we all know money talks. You can be as 'insulted' as you like at the prospect of the UK being allowed to rejoin but all those pound notes or euros would have old Juncker drooling whatever the rights or wrongs of it. He wouldn't say no to getting £10+ billion back from the UK.

Herd

Post by Herd »

At least we left you Irish some nice Georgian Buildings ,I remember when visiting the FAI,I thought I was in BAth[/color] !
They left the place a few years ago and now are based out in abbotstown on the outskirts of Dublin - it is a windy b.astard of a spot and the "HQ" feels and looks like a prefab building in the middle of nowhere :roll:
Yea I remember DB I think telling me ,I was there for football with Denmark ,one of my best trips in football ever ! I took a party of Danish customers and friends to the game and had to score quite a few tickets ,I got them from various sources on of whom was a pal who had contacts in the FAI and David O,leary who was in the Irish squad hotel .
We arrived at the airport to see it decked out in red and white ,and a green Carlsberg signboard saying Ireland V Denmark probably the best game in group 3 !
The Danes are great pisshead travelers and were all over the bars mingling with locals ,pure fun (shame England cant do it) ,we stayed in the Burlington and hit all the Bars then some more in Leeson street for late night fun.
Day of the match I went decked out in my NYC Vikings adidas trackky top (I used to play for them) red Arsenal cotton 50's cotton shirt and Denmark Baseball hat down to the FAI which was in town, great building ! I think the match was a draw but cant remember but what a trip ! England played later at night ,Holland ?? and the locals of course were for the opposition but I was too pissed to care . One of my best experiences in Dublin for sure !

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

StuartL wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:46 pm
nut flush gooner wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:12 pm
A11M11 wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:44 am
Religion is irrelevent ?
I wish it was , I saw through it at about 10 years old . Nice stories about right and wrong but corrupted for the desire for control and power. Rather like the E.U.

, the new referendum splits the Brexit vote asunder by not asking again in or out but offering several options on Brexit ie Norway plus ,Hard Brexit ,Brino exit OR option 4 Remain in the EU. Option 4 wins even if opts 1-2-3 get more votes.

Of course to follow democracy to it's end the vote should be to revoke article 50 to renegotiate for a limited time ( 6 months )or to leave without a deal.

So what about the British desire to corrupt and control for hundreds of years?

I think you conveniently forget this country's role in wanting to rule large swathes of the world for its own personal benefit. How many countries did we invade, conquer and leave them in a mess on independence? Britain has had a hand in many regional conflicts. Cyprus and India/Pakistan being the most obvious ones.

As soon as the ball is on the other foot, and there are rules coming from outside this country you don't like it, even though you don't understand half of them and how they benefit the country. It's not like we are under any military threat from the rest of Europe.
Is England the only country to invade & conquer in the historical past ?

What about Italy and the Romans ?
What about Spanish conquistadors ?
What about France in Africa ?

Even Belgium for f sake
The reference to the British Empire was in response to the perceived European oppression, as a result of EU membership and one contributors belief that contnued membership would mean becoming part of a federal Europe, losing sovereignty. Whilst the countries you have quoted did conquer and rule, they arent pointing the finger at the EU suggesting that it is a dictatorial body.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Herd wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:41 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:13 pm
Please stop the personal insults and abuse lads. Thanks.
!@#$% to$%^&*(*&^%$ you !
Yea ok Ive done my weekly quota in 1 day ,and it's been a good one !

Just you wait till the Eu has an army and the Germans start eyeing potential annexation candidates ! :box:
Swearing is never a problem - I'm Oirish, I positively encourage it. :D It's just the personal abuse and insults the owners frown upon.

Tbh I hope the EU annex the living fuck out of us because we are ruled by a pack of devious incompetent lying corrupt thieving bastards on a level that makes the EU bureaucrats look like rank amateurs! :lol:

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:03 pm
augie wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:29 pm
Jock Gooner wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:49 am
Apparently there was a million people marching in London to stay in the EU. Now in fairness that is a lot of people isn't it.....a MILLION. That's a big old number. About the number of people more who voted to leave than remain funnily enough so there's the real value of a million people.

Here's a thought. Why don't we give democracy a propert try. Respect the vote and leave. IF it turns out to be the end of the world which nobody fucking knows either way then we just rejoin. We lose our current terms - so what. All you Europeeps out there would be back in the fold and if we have to pay a few extra billion into the coffers so fucking what. But then again if things worked out then that would be ok too.

Whoa, whoa, whoa - what makes you think that Britain would be let back in ?? I don't know what will happen if/when you do leave, and I hope that you lot do stay, but if you leave then you shouldn't be let back in. Rightly or wrongly the uk will have made a lot of enemies in Europe over this whole fiasco, and I absolutely expect that list to get bigger when you leave and the brainless few (boris Johnson and farage for starters) come out with their bravado bullshit about telling Europe to fcuk off, so why would they let the uk back in ? Personally I don't think ye can have it both ways …….. we'd love ye to stay, but if ye go there can be no turning back imo
It's a club - you pay your dues, if you want to rejoin - big deal. This is the EU we are talking about and as we all know money talks. You can be as 'insulted' as you like at the prospect of the UK being allowed to rejoin but all those pound notes or euros would have old Juncker drooling whatever the rights or wrongs of it. He wouldn't say no to getting £10+ billion back from the UK.
again there is this arrogance that the EU will just roll over and do exactly what we want.
we were told after the referendum that doing a Brexit deal with the EU would be the easiest thing ever, and they needed us more than we needed them, How is that looking for you ?

wake up, Brexit really isnt that important to the rest of Europe.

augie

Post by augie »

I don't agree with that Rob - I think that it is obvious that Europe would prefer if the uk remained, but unlike Jock I believe allowing them back in is not the foregone conclusion he thinks it will be. Of course nobody knows until we see how things are going for Europe and the uk 2 years or so after Brexit, but if the eu is doing fine without the uk I think it the very least they would make the uk beg to get back in if they wanted to rejoin, (never gonna happen) and at worst refuse outright to let them back in

Obviously as an Irishman I am far more worried about how Brexit will affect our country than yours, but I still don't see how leaving will benefit the uk in the long term :? The big thing will of course be the ability to control it's own borders and have the right to refuse entry for refugee's that are likely to receive massive social welfare, but if international companies start leaving the uk then jobs will be lost and taxes received will be down and social welfare paid out will be up, and that cant be good

Anyway I wish to fcuk that there was some sort of conclusion to this mess on the horizon cos everyone must be sick of it now

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

augie wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:21 am
I don't agree with that Rob - I think that it is obvious that Europe would prefer if the uk remained, but unlike Jock I believe allowing them back in is not the foregone conclusion he thinks it will be. Of course nobody knows until we see how things are going for Europe and the uk 2 years or so after Brexit, but if the eu is doing fine without the uk I think it the very least they would make the uk beg to get back in if they wanted to rejoin, (never gonna happen) and at worst refuse outright to let them back in

Obviously as an Irishman I am far more worried about how Brexit will affect our country than yours, but I still don't see how leaving will benefit the uk in the long term :? The big thing will of course be the ability to control it's own borders and have the right to refuse entry for refugee's that are likely to receive massive social welfare, but if international companies start leaving the uk then jobs will be lost and taxes received will be down and social welfare paid out will be up, and that cant be good

Anyway I wish to fcuk that there was some sort of conclusion to this mess on the horizon cos everyone must be sick of it now
it won't benefit the UK apart from the rich elite who wanted it in the first place.
why do you think people like Jacob Rees Mogg wants the UK to leave ?
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... g-dividend

he has absolutely no interest in the average person in the UK. why people think he has their interests at heart is beyond me.

I find it remarkable that Brexiteers can't seem to understand why losing jobs would be a bad thing for the UK :roll:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

BREXIT = SCHMEXIT. :barscarf:

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

i see that Jacob Rees Mogg has been bought off.

interesting. May's deal might pass now.
Brexiteers might get their Brexit wish after all.

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

Brexiteers might get their Brexit wish after all.

Not really , I think that we are getting the Brexit that the E.U wanted not the British people ,at least the majority that voted.

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

augie wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:21 am

Funnily enough, I would have voted to remain if the EU had taken Cameron seriously when he (almost) asked for a bit of reform. But they showed their true colours at that point and the waffle about us having any real influence was clear to see. The problem is that some countries are in it for ideological reasons and the other 95% are in it for the wedge! It would be interesting to see how much of a handout the Scots and N Irish got in future if they were allowed to stay but England and Wales no longer contributed - that might be an eye opener for them.

That is why the UK would be readmitted because to do otherwise would make the EU look petty and they will not turn down £10 - 20 billion if it is offered up. The French would be a problem because that is their way (De Gaulle / Common Market). Anybody else who got uppity about the UK rejoining would be firmly put in place by the Germans who would be delighted to have another large net contributer back in the fold.

The UK is big enough and ugly enough to look after itself. The EU are shit scared that we might succeed without them which potentially could lose them members (money and influence) and are just as worried that if things don't go well that we may resort to introducing an uber competitive business tax regime in order to retain any international companies who are tempted to bugger off. It all boils down to money at the end of the day.