Teachers in meltdown

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
Nos89

Teachers in meltdown

Post by Nos89 »

Why are teachers getting special treatment and all the publicity over working hours, workload and conditions?
Most career teachers I've met, who are institutionalised and never worked outside of education are so sheltered from the challenges of real world situation they are not capable of dealing with modern life. They have a delusions of grandeur and need to get a grip. So annoying.

DB10GOONER

Re: Teachers in meltdown

Post by DB10GOONER »

Nos89 wrote:Why are teachers getting special treatment and all the publicity over working hours, workload and conditions?
Most career teachers I've met, who are institutionalised and never worked outside of education are so sheltered from the challenges of real world situation they are not capable of dealing with modern life. They have a delusions of grandeur and need to get a grip. So annoying.
Well that's not a sweeping generalisation at all! :lol: :wink:

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Nos89 wrote:Why are teachers getting special treatment and all the publicity over working hours, workload and conditions?
Well that's not a sweeping generalisation at all! :lol: :wink:

You should hear them on the R5L...all bloody week...12 week holidays a year, all the bank holidays, every weekend off...boo hoo!!! I'm pretty sure the junior doctors would snap up the new deal if they were given those working conditions...

xgtdec

Post by xgtdec »

My other half is a teach...as are most of her mates....utterly delusional doesnt even cover it. Utterly unaccountable for anything, kid ends the year as thick as he started it...oh well thats the next teachers problem.

The time off is unreal vs the real world and at the end of it all you get the arsehole twat teacher (not my Mrs) who give it the

"well the parents are the primary educators" meaning as we all knew that they are glorified babysitters!!

Henry Norris 1913

Post by Henry Norris 1913 »

xgtdec, that's pretty harsh on your missus. :lol:

xgtdec

Post by xgtdec »

Henry Norris 1913 wrote:xgtdec, that's pretty harsh on your missus. :lol:
Ah sure she knows well the cushy number it is, no harm pointing it out now and then :D :D

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Every single teacher I've ever heard discuss workload turns up to work at 6.30am, goes home at 7pm, works til 11pm at home doing lesson plans and marking. On top of that they volunteer for so much unpaid extra-curricular work, spent every single holiday week working and generally act as surrogate parents to every child.

I mean I know that is not the experience of any teacher I know, but every other teacher says it so it must be true.

Thank fuck they are such selfless bastards that they all work comparable hours to City bankers and under far more stress but for a tenth of the wage.

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

At least they turn up to work, unlike those spoilt brat junior doctors who have suddenly realised that having a job means doing something.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

nuff sed

Theoperator

Post by Theoperator »

northbank123 wrote:Every single teacher I've ever heard discuss workload turns up to work at 6.30am, goes home at 7pm, works til 11pm at home doing lesson plans and marking. On top of that they volunteer for so much unpaid extra-curricular work, spent every single holiday week working and generally act as surrogate parents to every child.

I mean I know that is not the experience of any teacher I know, but every other teacher says it so it must be true.

Thank fuck they are such selfless bastards that they all work comparable hours to City bankers and under far more stress but for a tenth of the wage.
Is there any person in the caring professions you like apart from your girlfriend NB123 8) :shock: :wink:

Suppose the extent of stress, ill health and early departures in the teaching profession says all is fine. Guess we have to wait for no Doctors or Teachers before the great NBs and Perrys of the world acknowledges they are bloody difficult under rewarded jobs made almost impossible by stupid government meddling with endless tickboxes, targets, policy impositions with very little or (usually) no evidence or thought put into them and pointless inspections all the way. :roll:

Chippy

Post by Chippy »

Theoperator wrote:
northbank123 wrote:Every single teacher I've ever heard discuss workload turns up to work at 6.30am, goes home at 7pm, works til 11pm at home doing lesson plans and marking. On top of that they volunteer for so much unpaid extra-curricular work, spent every single holiday week working and generally act as surrogate parents to every child.

Is there any person in the caring professions you like apart from your girlfriend NB123 8) :shock: :wink:

Suppose the extent of stress, ill health and early departures in the teaching profession says all is fine. Guess we have to wait for no Doctors or Teachers before the great NBs and Perrys of the world acknowledges they are bloody difficult under rewarded jobs made almost impossible by stupid government meddling with endless tickboxes, targets, policy impositions with very little or (usually) no evidence or thought put into them and pointless inspections all the way. :roll:
Shame we don't have a like button on this forum.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Who said I like my girlfriend? Stop spreading libel.

Teaching is a lot less stressful job than mine, likewise plenty of other people's job on here. Despite my overall views on the doctor dispute they work fucking hard in an unbelievably difficult and stressful context, ldcirous to chuck it in the same bracket as teaching. Can't believe anybody would think doctors aren't under immense strain, i juSt think they're already compensated far better than they suggest.

And if employment terms and conditions were the same in the private sector I think there would be a tremendous leap In people going off with long-term stress (once they figured they could basically get 12 months paid at any point with zero career progression impact) and early retirement (with outrageous pension, early retirement provisions and discretionary pay-offs sanctioned by people who don't have an ongoing stake in the financial wellbeing of their employer)...

Theoperator

Post by Theoperator »

northbank123 wrote:Who said I like my girlfriend? Stop spreading libel.

Teaching is a lot less stressful job than mine, likewise plenty of other people's job on here. Despite my overall views on the doctor dispute they work fucking hard in an unbelievably difficult and stressful context, ldcirous to chuck it in the same bracket as teaching. Can't believe anybody would think doctors aren't under immense strain, i juSt think they're already compensated far better than they suggest.

And if employment terms and conditions were the same in the private sector I think there would be a tremendous leap In people going off with long-term stress (once they figured they could basically get 12 months paid at any point with zero career progression impact) and early retirement (with outrageous pension, early retirement provisions and discretionary pay-offs sanctioned by people who don't have an ongoing stake in the financial wellbeing of their employer)...
:shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You do have a point on the second para mate, but would point out it isnt usually anything like as straight forward as you suggest these days, and is very much harder in certain sectors of the PS than others. I suspect you may be suffering with Arsene syndrome, stuck 30 years ago in your view of the Public sector :wink: :lol:

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

In my experience the strain on the people at the top of public sector organisations is absolute immense - they bear responsibility for unrealistic targets in the face of swingeing cuts, hugely inefficient working methods and and plenty of unmotivated staff with no accountability lower down the food chain. Much of which rings true in the private sector too but on a far smaller scale.

It's not that I think that teachers and doctors are lazy or have easy jobs - in fact the latter is without doubt one of the toughest jobs around by most measures. I just don't agree that they get anything like the raw deal they make out - for a start all of these discussions seem to complete ignore pension schemes that are still off the chart compared to anything on offer in the private sector. If these jobs (and their remuneration packages) were as bad as they claim then people just wouldn't do them. You don't get people like accountants constantly moaning about how they have a shit deal - because if that was really the case then people just wouldn't go into the profession. It's fundamental supply and demand and applies to private and public sectors alike.

casgooner

Post by casgooner »

Junior doctors are getting on my nerves too!!!