Happy St George's Day

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
casgooner

Happy St George's Day

Post by casgooner »

The media has more about St Patrick's Day and the Welsh one than us. I haven't heard it been mentioned once on the radio, yet on St David's day, one station had a morning devoted to them.

And Obama, get back to America and sort your own affairs out instead of telling us what to do.

Happy St George's Day

Perryashburtongroves

Re: Happy St George's Day

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

Hear, hear, old chap. Fully agree. Obama can piss off, fucking coming over to Europe and going on about things that don't concern him whilst his own country is full of rapists, rioters, murderers, drug dealers and gun-totting school-shooting imbeciles.

Rugby Gooner

Post by Rugby Gooner »

It's also the 400th anniversary of Shakespeares passing, and surprise surprise the pc brigade are saying that commemorating this is racist as he was English and therefore focusing on him and his work is not inclusive enough. :banghead:
Sky are even using rappers and a female playing the lead in Hamlet,(on Sky Arts), to redress the balance.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Rugby Gooner wrote:It's also the 400th anniversary of Shakespeares passing, and surprise surprise the pc brigade are saying that commemorating this is racist as he was English and therefore focusing on him and his work is not inclusive enough. :banghead:
Sky are even using rappers and a female playing the lead in Hamlet,(on Sky Arts), to redress the balance.
Racist.

:D :wink:

The PC brigade over there really are morons. Absolutely no harm in being proud of your country and nationality. Why shouldn't the English celebrate St George's Day? Because a minority of skinheads and neo-Nazi fucktards might hijack it? Fuck them. England, like any country, has it's problems and some dark parts in it's history (again like most countries) but also so many things to take pride in as well.

St Patrick's Day is famous around the world but in Dublin it has become a byword for drunken violence because again a minority can't have a few beers without glassing someone. :x

Fuck the PC brigade and fuck the minority of morons that try to ruin these things. Happy St George's Day to all our English viewers! :barscarf:

Henry Norris 1913

Post by Henry Norris 1913 »

i think you'll find derby fans wee given free st george's flags to wave today v sheffield weds.

that'll probably be the end of the celebrations :(

we should be proud of who we are, like everyone has said in this thread, not permanently embarased like some seem to be.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Unfortunately the English flag seems to be taboo due to some connotations with racists that are frankly ridiculous. Unless it's Euros / World Cup time that is.

Certainly not afraid to wave flags in Cardiff and Edinburgh. Such a shame.

hertsgunner

Post by hertsgunner »

My flags up down my road such a shame my scum supporting neighbours have not got the balls to put theirs up .

corkbarry

Post by corkbarry »

I could not find my Flag anywhere, them Sinn Fein Bastards must have stolen it.

Rugby Gooner

Post by Rugby Gooner »

B.B.C. Radio 4s contribution to St. Georges Day.....(It's on right now),"Rising Voices" archive recordings of those who fought against the British in the Easter Rising! Sums it up really. :banghead:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Feck st george I'm on the side of The Dragon !

:dance: :dance: :dance: :barscarf:

Rugby Gooner

Post by Rugby Gooner »

OneBardGooner wrote:Feck st george I'm on the side of The Dragon !

:dance: :dance: :dance: :barscarf:
I didn't know that you were Welsh! :lol: :wink:

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

How did we end up with a patron saint who's not English and who never visited England, who never killed a dragon, whose nationality is unknown and who appears never to have done anything of note.
Even Pope Gelasius I stated that George was among those saints "whose names are justly reverenced among men, but whose actions are known only to God.

Why can't we have St.Patrick. At least he was English.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

GranadaJoe wrote:How did we end up with a patron saint who's not English and who never visited England, who never killed a dragon, whose nationality is unknown and who appears never to have done anything of note.
Even Pope Gelasius I stated that George was among those saints "whose names are justly reverenced among men, but whose actions are known only to God.

Why can't we have St.Patrick. At least he was English.
Or Scottish or Welsh. The only certainty about him is he wasn't Oirish. Also, he might not have even been the real St Patrick. Some historians point to Palladius, the first Bishop of the Christians of Ireland, preceding Saint Patrick. It appears the deeds of both were also merged in later written histories.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Rugby Gooner wrote:B.B.C. Radio 4s contribution to St. Georges Day.....(It's on right now),"Rising Voices" archive recordings of those who fought against the British in the Easter Rising! Sums it up really. :banghead:
This weekend is the "real" dated anniversary of the Easter Rising, so I doubt it was an intentional insult towards the English. Should point out alot of those "British" soldiers that fought against the rebels in Dublin were actually Irish.

Top Londoner

Post by Top Londoner »

Meh.

Gimme St Patrick's day on a Cheltenham Festival day anytime.
A Ruby Walsh and Willie Mullins treble, and silly hats.
Except that Guinness shite is a dunny runner.

WHEN IS ST WENGERCUNT DAY???

WENGER OUT