Wayno/ Mutley Gooner

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
olgitgooner

Wayno/ Mutley Gooner

Post by olgitgooner »

Hello all. Sorry for the long absence. Log in problems.

I have very sad news. A fellow Gooner and thoroughly nice guy has died. Wayno was an absolute legend on these pages. The guy was a laugh a minute. A proud husband and father of two. I am totally gutted to hear that he died on Friday. I have no more information than that. Deepest sympathies to his wife and kids, who must be suffering terribly from their loss.

I know that he was a personal friend to people here. The world is a sadder place without him. But if anybody wants to share any happy or funny memories of the guy then I reckon Wayne would approve.

RIP Wayne Hopkins.

arseofacrow

Re: Wayno/ Mutley Gooner

Post by arseofacrow »

Hi Olgit. Sad to read this. Wayno/Mutley was involved in some classic stuff on here.

My old friend from here Galasso and I would like to pass on our condolences to his family and friends.

:cry:

REB

Post by REB »

i met wayne a few times at games and he was a mad fucker in a very funny kind of way, himself and gus when they were on here kept the banter going like no others before or after they left,
chunky sent me a message yesterday telling me he was gone but other then that i dont know what happened .
very sad news .RIP WAYNE

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Christ. This is devastating news. Poor Wayno. He was the first guy off here I met up with for a beer prematch back in 07 (I think). Met him a few times. A great funny bloke and mad Gooner. Man, first Steve (Charlie Charlie) passes and now Wayno - they were good friends too.

Poor Gus must be devastated as him and Wayno and Steve were close mates.

I just cannot believe this.

And Olgit, it's good to see you back here, even if it is under terrible circumstances. :(

RIP Wayno.

augie

Post by augie »

I too am stunned at this news - I met wayno after one of the games against the mackem fans and he was every bit as mad as his hair was.

Sincere condolences to all wayno's family and friends and especially Gus (Steve) :(

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

DB10GOONER wrote:Christ. This is devastating news. Poor Wayno. He was the first guy off here I met up with for a beer prematch back in 07 (I think). Met him a few times. A great funny bloke and mad Gooner. Man, first Steve (Charlie Charlie) passes and now Wayno - they were good friends too.

Poor Gus must be devastated as him and Wayno and Steve were close mates.

I just cannot believe this.

And Olgit, it's good to see you back here, even if it is under terrible circumstances. :(

RIP Wayno.
Yeah, I remembered that Steve passed away a while ago now. :(

Chunky The Gooner

Re: Wayno/ Mutley Gooner.

Post by Chunky The Gooner »

One of the original posters on here back in the day and he was fucking funny. Had the pleasure of drinking with him
a few times as well and he was the same
In the flesh!

R.I.P. Wayno / Mutley

REB

Post by REB »

hope people are ok with me moving olgits thread to here and making it a sticky, just felt it would get lost in the cannonballs. and gives the older posters who knew wayne a change to pay respects. thanks

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

REB wrote:hope people are ok with me moving olgits thread to here and making it a sticky, just felt it would get lost in the cannonballs. and gives the older posters who knew wayne a change to pay respects. thanks
The right decision, REB. Wayno was loved on here and was a riot back in the day, and along with Charliex2 and Gus was one of the old skool originals that made this place take off. 8)

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Sorry to hear of Wayno's Passing - I never met him, but his posts were always a good read and always cheered many of us up.

RIP. :cry:

enjibenji

Post by enjibenji »

fucking hell

Been on here on and off since 2008 and remember reading his posts at time and having a great laugh. R.i.p wayno :cry:

bobbybigb

Post by bobbybigb »

Before my time on this forum...... however RIP to any old school gooner

franksav63
Location: Home - Whitechapel - Arsenal Block 6 - Twitter - @franksav63

Post by franksav63 »

Really sad news this, I met Wayno a few times and he was a right laugh.... RIP fella, my thoughts go out to your family.

Rugby Gooner

Post by Rugby Gooner »

Very sad news,my condolences to Waynes family and friends. I never knew the guy, but his posts,(and his avatar), made me chuckle.
Should we possibly do a collection again,( as I suggested for another former member, Steve/Charlie), and get him a brick at the stadium and/or make a collective donation to his family or their favoured charity?
Last edited by Rugby Gooner on Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

olgitgooner

Post by olgitgooner »

Wayne's very dear friend Steve aka Gus aka Percy has asked me to pass on these few words....

Kev if you could post the below I'd be grateful......

Friends,

As you know by now your mate and mine Wayno has passed away. I don't know the full details but Wayne's life tragically came to an end on Friday evening.

Through the forum I got to know Wayno and I feel lucky and proud to call myself a mate of his. You will all know the laugh a minute, no holds barred and abrasive Mutley. Not all of you will know the generous, caring and wonderful husband and father of three children.

Wayno really was a one off and I best describe him as a 'force of nature'. How he combined the madness with so much love, compassion and generosity really was unique. You won't find another Wayno. They broke the mould, probably sensibly, when they made him.

I could list a hundred memories but a few that will stay with me forever are the New Years Eve our families spent together, camping with him and other friends and also the occasion he left the ground at half time so pissed he thought the game was done. We was 2-0 down at half time and it was only when he was half way home he found out we had won 3-2. The daft sod hadn't even noticed the Holloway Road was empty!

I've been thinking who will miss Wayno and I actually find it easier to list who won't so here they are:

Arsenal stewards or the 'hi-viz bastard spawn of Wenger gestapo' as he lovingly referred to them.

The Chelsea fans at Wembley Central station.

Curry house owners who suffered Wayno's love of ordering a meal and a drink and then leaving as soon as he had drunk the pint of Cobra. "We are just popping out for a fag" he would tell the waiters.

Oliver Giroud, no explanation required.

Arsene Wenger. I'd like to think he will miss being abused from the Clock End.

Anyhow, meeting to celebrate Wayne's life will be too complicated and too damn expensive. Can I suggest that next time you have a pint (or a cup of tea Augie) that you raise your glass, look to the sky and say "cheers Wayno". He will be up the causing mayhem with his old man and another friend Steve/Charlie!

My thoughts are with Zoe, Wayne's wonderful wife and his beautiful children Charlie, George and Freya.

I hope life is treating you all well and you never know we may meet again at The Arsenal one day soon.

There will be a pint on the bar for you both tonight Wayne and Steve my friends!

God bless!