Europa League (merged thread)

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Allgunsblazin

Europa League (merged thread)

Post by Allgunsblazin »

Well done Arsene FC you are now in the Europa League, I do hope that next seasons ST's incorporate this magnificent tournament and we are all looking forward to faraway places in the deepest parts of Eastern Europe...
Well done and congratulations to our leader who promised us glory when moving to that soulless grey concrete bowl.... 8)

Leyton Gooner
Location: Lokomotiv Plovdiv in the Channel 5 Thursday night cup

Re: Europa League

Post by Leyton Gooner »

The latter stages are decent but fuck me you have to get through some tedious shite to get there (no different to the other "elite" competition tbh). Of course my interest in the competition, and in the club as a whole, depends entirely on who is manager next season.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Lovely old job - back to the days of a half empty stadium

Are you sure the 11 year plan wasn't that "we are moving to compete with Europa's elite" ?

Sean

Post by Sean »

Excellent! I hope we prepare for it! :barscarf:

Sadly it looks like we'd be going in the group stage, no matter what. Shit, I fancied a nice humiliating July qualifier for TOF in Gibraltar or Kazakhstan when he stays for another decade 8)

:suicide:

HARLOW GOONER

Post by HARLOW GOONER »

Bring it on. I'm looking forward to visiting a few backward places.

Leyton Gooner
Location: Lokomotiv Plovdiv in the Channel 5 Thursday night cup

Post by Leyton Gooner »

We've got rid of Boro, Hull and Sunderland and still have Stoke, Swansea, Burnley and the dipper and manc clubs. How many more backward places do you want?

Clash

Post by Clash »

I really do not want Wenger or the AKB's to be able to justify him remaining by citing CL qualification yet again so I was very relieved to see Liverpool win today ... I was sure they would drop points.

However this thread is still premature.

Liverpool have picked up 2 points in the last 3 home games against Bournemouth, Palace and Southampton ... so that suggests they struggle to break teams down at Anfield. A 0-0 or 1-1 is not out of the question. We've often seen how really shite relegated teams suddenly produce something ... Newcastle battering the filth 5-1 last season for instance.

And don't rule out Man City throwing it away. West Brom at home and Watford away it seems unlikely but they do have Gael Clichy in their team and he did his best to throw away 2 points yesterday with a typically dozy challenge to concede a penalty.

Either 2 draws or one win and a defeat for them could see us sneak ahead. It could even come to goal difference.

So until it is a mathematical certainty then I will not be taking part on this thread.

Oh hang on .... :roll:

Rosie_titters

Post by Rosie_titters »

I will be looking forward to those great European nights in the Europa. Bringing on Tottenham and Liverpool. :D :D

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

We could still take 4th if Liverpool slip up against Boro. Long shot but scousers have been slipping up all season... that's why they're still within reach!

If we end up in the Europa then at least we have a chance of winning a knockout round for a change!

Just hope sanchez stays as id rather we built on what we currently have instead of rebuilding from an inferior squad. Either way, in Arsene we trust :rubchin:

augie

Post by augie »

Don't knock it lads cos if wenger stays on we wont be getting top 4 next season either, so winning this tinpot could be his best hope of playing champs league again :roll:

HARLOW GOONER

Post by HARLOW GOONER »

Leyton Gooner wrote:We've got rid of Boro, Hull and Sunderland and still have Stoke, Swansea, Burnley and the dipper and manc clubs. How many more backward places do you want?
And maybe Orient in the FA Cup

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017%E2%8 ... opa_League

You can start planning your trips already!

Shakhytor Soligorsk here we come

:barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

This is just what we need. Thursdays in front of 35,000 against some nobodies from Cyprus or Finland. It will just the proof that people need to see how much damage Wanker has caused.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Perryashburtongroves wrote:This is just what we need. Thursdays in front of 35,000 against some nobodies from Cyprus or Finland. It will just the proof that people need to see how much damage Wanker has caused.
Indeed, and I know exactly how this competition will go for us. He'll play some of the promising kids in the early stages and a bit like Vela and Wilshere used to do in the League Cup, there'll be flicks and tricks galore as TO1AW is hailed as some sort of genius for all this young talent he's been nurturing. Roll on to the quarter final stage at the business end of the season and there'll be a monumental balls up against anyone with a hint of defensive organisation

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Perryashburtongroves wrote:This is just what we need. Thursdays in front of 35,000 against some nobodies from Cyprus or Finland. It will just the proof that people need to see how much damage Wanker has caused.
Indeed, and I know exactly how this competition will go for us. He'll play some of the promising kids in the early stages and a bit like Vela and Wilshere used to do in the League Cup, there'll be flicks and tricks galore as TO1AW is hailed as some sort of genius for all this young talent he's been nurturing. Roll on to the quarter final stage at the business end of the season and there'll be a monumental balls up against anyone with a hint of defensive organisation
SteveO are you by chance insinuating that OGL will not show this competition, one he has never won, due respect?

Shame on you :wink: