Who Has Less Guts & Determination?

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
Leyton Gooner
Location: Lokomotiv Plovdiv in the Channel 5 Thursday night cup

Re: Who Has Less Guts & Determination?

Post by Leyton Gooner »

All has a very familiar, Arsenal esque feel about it. When I saw the score this morning not one part of me felt any sense of surprise. The only difference being that I was fucking livid and went into work in a foul mood, something I haven't experienced for a while with Arsenal. I still care for now, but for how much longer? Probably until Test cricket dies out for good to be replaced by T20 franchise shite forevermore.

Modern sport is shit isn't it? :(

arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Almunia is a clown wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:24 pm
A whole generation of kids are growing up not interested in cricket, in London at least.
Not so in my part of London. I see kids out all summer playing cricket. All Asian.

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

arrgee wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:30 pm
A whole generation of kids are growing up not interested in cricket, in London at least.
Not so in my part of London. I see kids out all summer playing cricket. All Asian.
The two decent cricket clubs near me Highgate (where I used to play) and Southgate cc are both still running.

Leyton Gooner
Location: Lokomotiv Plovdiv in the Channel 5 Thursday night cup

Post by Leyton Gooner »

arrgee wrote:
Yes plenty of Asian kids still interested round here. Get the feeling we have to tap into this resource of potential talent more than ever, something historically we've always struggled to do, to keep the game alive beyond the privileged few.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

As an Oirish / Aussie half breed I have to admit to loving every rolling disaster that embraces English cricket at international level. Never was there a more beautiful set of words constructed than "English batting collapse". :D :wink:

Strangely my Oirish half never embraced the "hate England" bullshit of so many of my hypocritical countrymen when it came to football. Probably because I support an English team and used to want to see the likes of Adams Seamo Smudge Wrighty etc do well.

But cricket? Love when the Aussies or anyone hand your lads a good thrashing! :wink:

As an aside... Phil Jupitus came out with a belter on some show years ago when asked about the Oirish cricket team. He affected a Lords BM upper-class accent and said: "What? Cricket? The Mick doesn't play cricket!". :lol:

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:32 am
As an Oirish / Aussie half breed I have to admit to loving every rolling disaster that embraces English cricket at international level. Never was there a more beautiful set of words constructed than "English batting collapse". :D :wink:

Strangely my Oirish half never embraced the "hate England" bullshit of so many of my hypocritical countrymen when it came to football. Probably because I support an English team and used to want to see the likes of Adams Seamo Smudge Wrighty etc do well.

But cricket? Love when the Aussies or anyone hand your lads a good thrashing! :wink:

As an aside... Phil Jupitus came out with a belter on some show years ago when asked about the Oirish cricket team. He affected a Lords BM upper-class accent and said: "What? Cricket? The Mick doesn't play cricket!". :lol:
:roll:

What were in the cricket team? One of the stumps :barscarf: :lol:

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:12 am
DB10GOONER wrote:

:roll:

What were in the cricket team? One of the stumps :shock: :barscarf: :lol:

Almunia is a clown

Post by Almunia is a clown »

Go beyond inner London & yes there is some cricket, Finchley, Hornsey, Barnet in the suburbs, but try & find kids playing Cricket in Hackney or Islington is not so easy, it's as if Middlesex don't want the proles paying the game. :cussing:

I've lived in the Gooner Valley since age 7, years ago kids used to play in the street in summer & in school. My lads went school in Highgate & have never played in school or locally. Nor have their mates.

There used to be one lad in school, from a middle class background played with Middlesex schoolboys, in a school that produced many famous footballers& also boxers, not as if Middlesex sent any coaches round to check out any other potential talent though. :cussing:

I don't reckon Middlesex Cricket have ever bothered with Islington or Hackney!

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:21 am
Go beyond inner London & yes there is some cricket, Finchley, Hornsey, Barnet in the suburbs, but try & find kids playing Cricket in Hackney or Islington is not so easy, it's as if Middlesex don't want the proles paying the game. :cussing:

I've lived in the Gooner Valley since age 7, years ago kids used to play in the street in summer & in school. My lads went school in Highgate & have never played in school or locally. Nor have their mates.

There used to be one lad in school, from a middle class background played with Middlesex schoolboys, in a school that produced many famous footballers& also boxers, not as if Middlesex sent any coaches round to check out any other potential talent though. :cussing:

I don't reckon Middlesex Cricket have ever bothered with Islington or Hackney!
I went to catholic primary school in Hackney and we played a bit of cricket but not against other schools, not in a league, and cos the the guy who took it (science or history teacher) was in to it more than football. Also, we played a little bit of cricket at secondary school in Wood Green but again, much the same.

Mark Stoneman - the only current English test player not to have gone to fee paying school. :roll:

Almunia is a clown

arseofacrow wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:24 pm

Mark Stoneman - the only current English test player not to have gone to fee paying school. :roll:
Thought there were at least a few Yorks, Lancs & Essex lads from ordinary schools? :cussing:

Not a great Rugby fan anyway but one of the reasons I prefer Wales, at least it is the people's game along with football, most people you meet there will chat away about both games. It actually means something to them personally, unlike the England & Ireland Rugger teams. :barscarf:

I prefer Cricket to Rugby, but it seems just as posh! Bollox to that, it's Footballl & Hurling for me then! :barscarf:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

I think world wide there is a perception that English cricket is only played by the upper classes.

As an aside.... I lived for quite a while in an area in Dublin full of rugger bugger arseholes and a well known towel flicker club. Local story went that the best rugby player in that area never played for the club because he wasnt from "the right kind of family". He played at school then played football at senior level because the towel flickers wouldn't have him. :roll:

That kind of moronic snobbery pisses me off. :censored:

Almunia is a clown

My lads mate went to a Middlesex County Rugby trial wearing an Ireland Rugby jersey a few years back, afterwards he was invited back again but his Dublin Dad, an avid Gaelic Football follower, was asked to tell his son not to wear the Ireland jersey, told it would impede any progress. Anyway the next time the youngster turned up he still wore it, went a few times after that but was made not to feel welcome! :barscarf:

Stuck up Rugger Bugger posh boys shite! :cussing:

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:58 pm
I think world wide there is a perception that English cricket is only played by the upper classes.

As an aside.... I lived for quite a while in an area in Dublin full of rugger bugger arseholes and a well known towel flicker club. Local story went that the best rugby player in that area never played for the club because he wasnt from "the right kind of family". He played at school then played football at senior level because the towel flickers wouldn't have him. :roll:

That kind of moronic snobbery pisses me off. :censored:
Like the arseholes in, "What Richard Did" by Lenny Abrahamson? There's some rugger buggers who deserve a cucumber served straight. :cussing:

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

Some strides have been made in the last few years to make cricket more visible in state schools and kids are playing but not enough. You can get to a certain level but then you need to be playing regularly and have access to decent facilities and coaching which isn't easy.
In answer to the question, I think the two teams are very similar. Could be doing much better, should be able to win most teams but always underperforming and making excuses. Like we've been carried over the last few years by players like Sanchez and Van Persie, so too have the cricket team by Anderson, Cook and Broad. Both teams need a fresh approach and new coaching team.

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:

What about in ODIs when that oirish originating Eoin Morgan plays for England. You can’t support the convicts.

Plus we might be shit on the pitch but we rip the shit out of them in the stands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgwsaUnZa8g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15gT3vc9xdc

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D