The ONLY World Cup thread (merged)

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
nut flush gooner

Re: Lacazette out of French WC squad

Post by nut flush gooner »

Perryashburtongroves wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 10:14 pm
If France wanted to pick the most average squad possible, Lacazette would have been the first name inked in. Sadly, for him they wanted international standard players, not 6.4 out of ten players.
Giroud is not international class. I also don’t know where you get that Lacazette was bang average when he returned 2 less league goals than Lukaku. His season was dictated by mismanagement, being taken off uneccessarily when he was contributing and then dropping him for big games. It all came to a head with that miss against the spuds, yet he still came back from injury and showed a return.

The only use for Giroud is as a target man where the footballers can feed off the scraps. But has France’s quality of football regressed that much?

Gunnersaurus

Post by Gunnersaurus »

Surprised by this, Lacazette did well when coming back after injury, he was well and truly Wengered, taking a striker off early every game when defences tire was criminal, Wenger killed his chances.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

He's absolute dog shit so no surprise for me whatsoever. We let a better French striker leave for Chelsea for £19m. He was ahead of him in the pecking order before we signed Lackingzest and he's gone several notches up since then

Perhaps when he's naval gazing over the Summer someone can teach him what "putting in a shift" means but he's a lazy, bone idle fucker most times I've seen him. Another overrated piece of dump that will haunt us from Inspector Clueless's wrecking ball regime

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 3:15 am
Perryashburtongroves wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 10:14 pm
If France wanted to pick the most average squad possible, Lacazette would have been the first name inked in. Sadly, for him they wanted international standard players, not 6.4 out of ten players.
Giroud is not international class. I also don’t know where you get that Lacazette was bang average when he returned 2 less league goals than Lukaku. His season was dictated by mismanagement, being taken off uneccessarily when he was contributing and then dropping him for big games. It all came to a head with that miss against the spuds, yet he still came back from injury and showed a return.

The only use for Giroud is as a target man where the footballers can feed off the scraps. But has France’s quality of football regressed that much?
Ok, fair enough, 6.4 out of 10 isn't really fair. Giroud is about a 5.7 out of ten but manages to make himself look better by ambling around in the box until the ball hits him on the head. I can't quite work out why he's off to another world cup. Lacazette missed out on the last European Championships so it makes me wonder whether someone in the French management team just doesn't rate him.

Gunnersaurus

Post by Gunnersaurus »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 7:18 am
He's absolute dog shit so no surprise for me whatsoever. We let a better French striker leave for Chelsea for £19m. He was ahead of him in the pecking order before we signed Lackingzest and he's gone several notches up since then

Perhaps when he's naval gazing over the Summer someone can teach him what "putting in a shift" means but he's a lazy, bone idle fucker most times I've seen him. Another overrated piece of dump that will haunt us from Inspector Clueless's wrecking ball regime

Amazing how Girouds stock has increased since he left, when he was here, the lampost was seen as not worthy and most of us couldn't wait for him to be sold.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Gunnersaurus wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 7:26 am
SteveO 35 wrote:

Amazing how Girouds stock has increased since he left, when he was here, the lampost was seen as not worthy and most of us couldn't wait for him to be sold.
More like amazing how shit Lacazette is that a bang average striker like Giroud could be missed so badly

Gunnersaurus

Post by Gunnersaurus »

Lacazette was handicapped by the manager, he looked a lot better when he came back from injury, bit hard to judge a lot of these players until a manager with a tactical mind gets hold of them and they get some direction, the go out and express yourself style of Wenger Play didn't work anymore.

Expecting a few of them to improve next year.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Gunnersaurus wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 7:38 am
Lacazette was handicapped by the manager, he looked a lot better when he came back from injury, bit hard to judge a lot of these players until a manager with a tactical mind gets hold of them and they get some direction, the go out and express yourself style of Wenger Play didn't work anymore.

Expecting a few of them to improve next year.
Perhaps you're right. In fairness, in the first few games he looked ok.......what pissed me off about him was that for someone who was supposedly trying to prove themselves in the team I thought he was downright lazy. Since Aubameyang signed maybe that's the kick up the arse he needs. That fucking miss against the vermin at Wembley still bloody haunts me though - for a supposed natural finisher that was bloody woeful

Gunnersaurus

Post by Gunnersaurus »

Competition for his place drove him to be better, something Wenger was poor at instilling here, pray to God that the new manager will have everyone fighting for their shirt with no one have a free ride.

Gunnersaurus

Post by Gunnersaurus »

Oh, calling it now, Xhaka will be one of those who improves with some direction, can see a player in him who just needs directing.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

His complete loss of confidence was a fucking embarrassment. It wasn’t just a rough patch, he looked like that useless fraud that Graeme Souness signed who wasn’t even a footballer. Fucking worse than Giroud’s meltdown a few years ago when he went months without scoring at the business end of the season.

He was a striker who we could have signed at any point for years and only chose to last summer out of panic and pressure. And like so many before him, another Ligue 1 chairman has taken us for an absolute fucking ride.

nut flush gooner

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 7:28 am
Gunnersaurus wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 7:26 am
SteveO 35 wrote:

More like amazing how shit Lacazette is that a bang average striker like Giroud could be missed so badly
No Lacazette over Giroud for me any day. Laca even has a spring on him, that header vs Atletico was quite impressive. Giroud is a one trick pony. He's not effective against deep-lying defences and has no pace on the break when teams press high.

Really harsh opinions on Laca, given this was his first season in the prem and Giroud has never scored more than 20 in one season!

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Gunnersaurus wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 7:54 am
Oh, calling it now, Xhaka will be one of those who improves with some direction, can see a player in him who just needs directing.
Directing to the fucking exit.

Even if you can somehow instil some sense of fucking awareness of what’s happening around him, you are left with a bang average midfielder who is slow, a decent passer, offers very little going forwards and generally gets left behind by the pace of the game in big matches.

Would be first out the door along with Mustafi for me.

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

I’d take Giroud ahead of lacagoals all day long! He may work harder but he has no natural goalscoring instinct whatsoever and has been a huge disappointment given his fee!

nut flush gooner

goonersid wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 9:20 am
I’d take Giroud ahead of lacagoals all day long! He may work harder but he has no natural goalscoring instinct whatsoever and has been a huge disappointment given his fee!
What? Lacazette is on a different planet as a finisher.

I have said this before, why does Giroud go missing for 10 games plus as he did when Leicester won the league? If we had anyone half decent up front that title was ours.