The ONLY World Cup thread (merged)

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
SteveO 35

Re: Lacazette out of French WC squad

Post by SteveO 35 »

The truth is that they are both bang average and Aubameyang is head and shoulders above the pair of them. We need to get the best out of him, rather than do a Wenger and shunt him around into various positions to accomodate weaker players he just so happens to like

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

You are comparing apples to oranges , Giroud is a better than average target man useful defending at the near post . Whereas Lacazette is a player that depends on swift passing and plays off the shoulder of defenders. both suffered under Wenger for similar reasons as we didn't play balls into the box quickly enough either in the air or on the ground.

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

A11M11 wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 9:28 am
You are comparing apples to oranges , Giroud is a better than average target man useful defending at the near post . Whereas Lacazette is a player that depends on swift passing and plays off the shoulder of defenders. both suffered under Wenger for similar reasons as we didn't play balls into the box quickly enough either in the air or on the ground.
And France as a team is better set up to play that fast attacking style. Giroud really is a Plan B at best.

Re Stevo's comment, I agree Auba is a cracking striker I just think Laca is better than Giroud. It's all relative really.

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

A11M11 wrote:

Spot on mate. The number of times I've sat there watching Lacazette shape to make a run hoping for an early through ball only for Ramsey or Jack or that twat Xhaka to go sideways or wander around aimlessly with the ball for a bit rather than just fucking play it. Aubameyang was doing the same thing when he arrived and you could sense his frustration however he has found his groove and is clearly the real deal. Lacazette needs the chance to prove himself but we have to be get the ball to him earlier.

nut flush gooner

Jock Gooner wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 10:42 am
A11M11 wrote:

Spot on mate. The number of times I've sat there watching Lacazette shape to make a run hoping for an early through ball only for Ramsey or Jack or that twat Xhaka to go sideways or wander around aimlessly with the ball for a bit rather than just fucking play it. Aubameyang was doing the same thing when he arrived and you could sense his frustration however he has found his groove and is clearly the real deal. Lacazette needs the chance to prove himself but we have to be get the ball to him earlier.
And you know Mikhatarian can see that incisive ball, no fucking about just put it on a plate for the strikers. He will become an unsung hero for Arsenal if we finally sort our defence out.

It still doesn't detract from the fact that Giroud isn't a great striker, we were spoilt in that department from Wrighty right through to RVP.

Supagoon

Post by Supagoon »

I'm not surprised. They have plenty of strikers better than Lacazette, and nobody as tall and as good looking as Giroud. Really that simple.

Ernie71

Post by Ernie71 »

Gunnersaurus wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 7:54 am
Oh, calling it now, Xhaka will be one of those who improves with some direction, can see a player in him who just needs directing.
Direct him to Heathrow airport.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 9:26 am
The truth is that they are both bang average and Aubameyang is head and shoulders above the pair of them. We need to get the best out of him, rather than do a Wenger and shunt him around into various positions to accomodate weaker players he just so happens to like
Exactly - both average in different ways.

Still convinced that if we had managed to sign Suárez he would have been played on the wing to accommodate Giroud.

Aubameyang is a proper goal scorer. Have to set up the team to get the most out of him, reckon he is definitely good enough to get 30 PL goals (in a good team).

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

northbank123 wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 1:21 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 9:26 am
Exactly - both average in different ways.

Still convinced that if we had managed to sign Suárez he would have been played on the wing to accommodate Giroud.

Aubameyang is a proper goal scorer. Have to set up the team to get the most out of him, reckon he is definitely good enough to get 30 PL goals (in a good team).
We haven't had a striker in years who can score those close range finishes....for example the last day at Huddersfield. I hear all this bollocks about the runs Lacazette supposedly makes - I've watched the bloke stand rigidly next to his marker in almost every game I've seen. Auba is different altogether - we might actually have found a bloke who will get 20 goals from inside the box

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Lacazette should have played alongside Giroud not instead of him. 17 goals in all competitions in his first season. He played injured for a couple of months.
He still scored more for Arsenal from January than Giroud has at Chelski. Just because he didn't make french WC squad doesn't mean he's shit. It's well known Deschamps doesn't like Lacazette. Even when he was top scorer in France he didn't get picked.
Aubameyang and Lacazette will both hit 20+ goals if played right next season.
Both Auba and Lacazette scored more goals than Giroud and Sanchez since January, so to me that makes them better than the two sold.

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 7:18 am
He's absolute dog shit so no surprise for me whatsoever. We let a better French striker leave for Chelsea for £19m. He was ahead of him in the pecking order before we signed Lackingzest and he's gone several notches up since then

Perhaps when he's naval gazing over the Summer someone can teach him what "putting in a shift" means but he's a lazy, bone idle fucker most times I've seen him. Another overrated piece of dump that will haunt us from Inspector Clueless's wrecking ball regime
Spot on stevo!! I reckon he has Ingerlish ancestry! :wink:

nut flush gooner

goonersid wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 3:38 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 7:18 am
He's absolute dog shit so no surprise for me whatsoever. We let a better French striker leave for Chelsea for £19m. He was ahead of him in the pecking order before we signed Lackingzest and he's gone several notches up since then

Perhaps when he's naval gazing over the Summer someone can teach him what "putting in a shift" means but he's a lazy, bone idle fucker most times I've seen him. Another overrated piece of dump that will haunt us from Inspector Clueless's wrecking ball regime
Spot on stevo!! I reckon he has Ingerlish ancestry! :wink:
Sorry cannot agree with this. Look at this list of premier league strikers.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/pr ... op-scorers

Laca is one goal behind Firmino, who a lot of pundits/fans have been creaming themselves over this season.

Then look at 2015, when Giroud was supposedly in his prime :

http://www.worldfootball.net/goalgetter ... 2015-2016/

So a first choice striker established in the team scored 16 goals, versus laca's 14 this season, including 5 weeks out through injury and being dropped quite a few times. Chelsea can have Giroud as far as I am concerned.

augie

Post by augie »

A11M11 wrote:

First few minutes in yesterdays cup final a long ball was fired up to giroud and he held off the manure centre back and laid the ball nicely into the feet of his team-amte, and I said to myself that he is gonna dominate those centre backs for the rest of the game - I swear to god that he was thrown around like a ragdoll for the rest of the game, and it showed up what a myth it is that he is a good target man :roll:

For me giroud is the worst type of modern day footballer .......... an average player who thinks that he is great :oops: I seem to be in the minority, but I am as happy today that we sold him, as I was the day he actually left - I have continually said that clearing out the shit is every bit as important as bringing quality players in, and giroud was a useless lump on massive wages that we needed to move on.

Lacazette has originally disappointed me I have to be honest, cos I had great hopes when he joined us - I agree 100% though with the suggestion that, for him to shine, he needs a much faster supply line instead of our sidewards tippy tappy shit :roll: He has been massively improved since his return from injury, but I am slightly concerned about the possible reasons for this improvement - if it is because he has adapted more now to the league and country, then fair enough. However if he has improved cos bang bang has now arrived then that doesnt bode well - if he needs the competition to get him moving it suggests a motivational issue, but if he feels that bang bang's presence takes the pressure off him, then it suggests a fragile mentality that you cannot have in a big club

Anyway I am hopeful that whoever is the next manager is, will look at bang bang and lacazette and build a system that will allow the top of them playing together as 2 forwards (not 1 of them on the wing) cos I will be confident of scoring goals every week with a strike force like that 8)

Post by 1989 »

One of my favourite Arsenal goals this season was Lacazette's header vs Atletico. That was a proper striker's goal. The leap, timing, and outjumping a defender like Godin who's a lot taller than him. Reminded me of Wrighty. Brilliant.

If only the clowns at the back didn't fuck it up for him, that goal would and should have been appreciated more.

Rosie_titters

Post by Rosie_titters »

surely a good thing for us. I would be happy if all our players missed the WC. :barscarf: :barscarf: