Pat Rice keeps the faith

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Basil is a Gooner

Pat Rice keeps the faith

Post by Basil is a Gooner »

rhyspac

Post by rhyspac »

good news id miss the little Elton john lookalike! :barscarf:

SPUDMASHER

Post by SPUDMASHER »

I'm glad he is staying but at the same time I think we need a fresh injection of opinion and direction within our coaching team.

goonarmy

Post by goonarmy »

SPUDMASHER wrote:I'm glad he is staying but at the same time I think we need a fresh injection of opinion and direction within our coaching team.
Like Steve Mclaren?

lisa_gooner

Post by lisa_gooner »

I dreamed that I met Tony Adams the other night and I asked him if he was going to come back to Arsenal and coach the defence. Dunno what he said cos I woke up. :?

BT

Post by BT »

Sounds like he might have been reading the Gooner forum

SPUDMASHER

Post by SPUDMASHER »

goonarmy wrote:
SPUDMASHER wrote:I'm glad he is staying but at the same time I think we need a fresh injection of opinion and direction within our coaching team.
Like Steve Mclaren?
You may jest but I worked with a guy that was coached by McLaren and according to him his training sessions are brilliant. He's just a crap tactician & manager.

donaldo

Post by donaldo »

Pat Rice is an Arsenal legend but i think Arsene needs a new number 2 with fresh coaching ideas for the squad.At the moment Pat looks like an Arsene yes man who adds nothing to the team

Magic Merse
Location: Stanford-le-hope, home of the world famous Dougie from McFly

Post by Magic Merse »

donaldo wrote:Pat Rice is an Arsenal legend but i think Arsene needs a new number 2 with fresh coaching ideas for the squad.At the moment Pat looks like an Arsene yes man who adds nothing to the team
Where are you taking that analysis from. Personally i have never been to a training session so i don't actually know what goes on.

goonarmy

Post by goonarmy »

i hear they've been doing the oke coke

Rob

Re: Pat Rice keeps the faith

Post by Rob »

Basil is a Gooner wrote:http://www.arsenal.com/article.asp?this ... good+stead

Pat says he is staying :barscarf:

Same tired old song - different singer.

So one pundit said we'd be lucky to finish in the top 8 and we managed third - clap, clap, clap !!! That means it's all hunk dory for next year does it ? Well it might if we retained our key players. We haven't ! It might if we actually managed to sign someone who can hold their own in an EPL game from day one - but there's no sign anything there either.

Perhaps he feels Norwich Citys ex physio' will have a Contona like impact on our fortunes ?

I said we'd finish between 5th and 7th but I also said we'd win the CL.

Does that make me a pesimistic traitor who should never darken the Ems doors again ? Or just a tad too hopeful in respect of the CL ? Or a bit of both ?

The Clubs official 'spiele' is just getting harder and harder to view with anything other than ill disguised cynicism, bordering on contempt. :x

olgitgooner

Post by olgitgooner »

Love Pat.

Watched him as a player. Bought stuff from his fruit and veg shop.

Don't have his autograph, though.

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

Pat Rice is assistant manager.

Boro Primorac is the coach, he is the one who designs patterns of play, tactics, and creative ideas alongside Wenger.

Pat Rice is more about warm ups and warm downs, one to one positioning and team shape.

Both men are only able to operate within the framework laid down by Wenger, one of individual expression and "in the zone" Zen football, one where a team just plays as close to naturally as possible based on technical ability, pace and power.

Compared to other clubs, much of what we do is based on short passing, honed by hours spent practicing technical drills in training.

We are far less "coached" than other teams.

If anything, there is a need for an additional defensive coach to help Pat Rice with the workload, rather than a new coach for fresh ideas.
His training and experience as part of the 1971 Double Side would mean he is highly attuned to defensive positioning, communication and setting correct body shape for challenges.
The problem I believe is sheer workload.

Last season we did not struggle much in creating chances, but with:

Lack of clinical finishing,

Defensive duties from set pieces.