The ONLY World Cup thread (merged)

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
rodders999

Re: The ONLY World Cup thread (merged)

Post by rodders999 »

StuartL wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:44 pm
rodders999 wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:17 pm
NickF wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:56 pm
rodders999 wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:33 pm
Never in the long illustrious history and tradition of English football, has never there ever been a team or a ground that had a fucking band.
Other than the one that used to appear at Highbury? :wink:
What era was that? Well before this poster’s time anyway. Having said that I’ve never even heard anyone on about a band at The Arsenal in the good ol’ days!
The police band Rodders (not sting, Stewart Copland and Andy Summers) the metropolitan police band 🥁🎺🎷🥁🚔

Nice one. Had a read up on them, very interesting, they would have finished up about a decade before I came on the scene.

Anyway playing pre match and half time tunes is a lot different to playing Earth, Wind & fucking Fire for 90 minutes.

Just let the atmosphere build naturally you fucking dickheads. :banghead:

Henry Norris 1913

Post by Henry Norris 1913 »

1989 wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:49 am
I will get back to hating Kane and co when the league season restarts and I've got my Arsenal hat firmly back on. However, as long as they're representing my country at a tournament like the bloody World Cup, they've got my support.

Why is to so hard for some to understand that it is possible to separate supporting your club and supporting your country.
agreed with this - it's not "nationalistic" supporting your country ffs :lol: :roll:

it's what you do to fill the time between now and the new season, and tbh I never gave one fuck either way but in recent times, since the culture of media sabotage, increased sense of hostility toward english football from hipsters over here and general snobbishness from other people who think english football is just scott parker and 4-4-2 when it gave the world a lot more than that - i've become a lot more partizan.

now maybe if we do get to the final or even the unmentionable - :shock: - well those people may change their tunes and give up knocking us and stop supporting old and tired stereotypes and maybe supporting england will become fashionable again - and if that does happen my interest will probably wain again but in the meantime this tournament will fly right in the face of the "anyone but england" crowd who said that england were average year on year :barscarf:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Henry Norris 1913 wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:06 pm
it's not "nationalistic" supporting your country ffs :lol: :roll:

:coffeespit:

Post of the week right there! :oops: :lol:

Please tell me you meant that. Please.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

flash gunner wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:53 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:44 am
Riotof91 wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:12 am
Don't know if you lot have had a peak at other Arsenal forums but they're made up of people hating on England. Can't help but feel like why are you supporting the most English of English clubs if you hate England? Shows how much Wenger changed the nature of this club and how many *word censored* he attracted.
Silly fucker :lol: Arsenal had a massive overseas support long before Wenger ever got involved.

For me it's club before country every day of the week. I don't get how so called "die hard" Gooners can chant and sing abuse and hatred at cùnts like Kane Dier Rose Eyebrows etc all season and then when the vermin cùnts pull on an Ingerland jersey those same Gooners scream for them like teenaged girls at a fucking Bieber concert. It smacks of the worst kind of nationalistic hypocrisy tbh. :roll:
Why is supporting your country "screaming like girls at a Beiber concert"? :?

My view is i find it hard to cheer kane and the rest of the scummers but the fact is England are in the world cup and these are the best English players at the moment, the weather is hot and you can look forward to seeing your country play on the biggest international stage, i wont be as gutted as when Arsenal lose if/when England lose so i just relax sit back and enjoy the world cup.

I celebrate wins and know when we go out i wont be too upset and i can wind up the scum fans i know

Its coming home :unionjack:
Belieber. :banghead:

:lol:

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

rodders999 wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:17 am
StuartL wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:44 pm
rodders999 wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:17 pm
NickF wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:56 pm
rodders999 wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:33 pm
Never in the long illustrious history and tradition of English football, has never there ever been a team or a ground that had a fucking band.
Other than the one that used to appear at Highbury? :wink:
What era was that? Well before this poster’s time anyway. Having said that I’ve never even heard anyone on about a band at The Arsenal in the good ol’ days!
The police band Rodders (not sting, Stewart Copland and Andy Summers) the metropolitan police band 🥁🎺🎷🥁🚔

Nice one. Had a read up on them, very interesting, they would have finished up about a decade before I came on the scene.

Anyway playing pre match and half time tunes is a lot different to playing Earth, Wind & fucking Fire for 90 minutes.

Just let the atmosphere build naturally you fucking dickheads. :banghead:

I remember the police band when I was a kid going to the football.....they were shit. The highlight was whether the tubby fucker with the baton at the front would drop the bloody thing after he chucked it up into the air which on a number of ocassions he did. Now that was real pre-match entertainment :shock:

The we had the Shamen miming at half time back when Monday night footie started in the early 90s.....Ebeneezer Good. Everybody booed them and they went off with the hump flicking the Vs :D

John F

Post by John F »

If England do win the World cup all we have to do to shut the tiny totts up is to remind them how many World cups England have won since they last won the league.

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

Alex Morgan was the constable that sang before matches with the police band. i remember one of the then board saying that it was a clever way of having a police presence in the ground to calm things in case things kicked off. Can just imagine a hooli skinhead coming up against a copper weilding a sousaphone .

augie

Post by augie »

Giroud has played over 7 and a half hours in this world cup without having even one shot ON TARGET :oops: :oops: Some gooners reckon we were wrong to sell him :roll: :roll:

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

Martinez a tactical numpty !
Not tonight but against Ingerland when all they had to do was play out a draw and they would have had possibly the easiest last 16 run to a final in any world or European competition!
Their loss will be Croatia’s gain

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

augie wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:46 pm
Giroud has played over 7 and a half hours in this world cup without having even one shot ON TARGET :oops: :oops: Some gooners reckon we were wrong to sell him :roll: :roll:

He is miles behind his teammates in quality ..

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Have France in the sweepstake in my local, guaranteed €60 for my tenner, 100 if they win it out

Riotof91

Post by Riotof91 »

another set piece breaks the ice, will France get shit from the hipsters or is the counter signalling against anti football1!! just reserved for Ingerland?

SydneyGooner

Post by SydneyGooner »

France are very German in the way they're going about their business getting wins under Deschamps. They really should win the whole thing now with the superior talent they have in every position.

corkbarry

Post by corkbarry »

I probably would have supported England but not with Kane as Captain :twisted:

phpBB [video]

Post by 1989 »

augie wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:46 pm
Painfully average striker said it all along.

Can't believe the inept idiot that is Wenger stuck with him for 6 years as our starting striker.