Mental health/depression issues and discussion

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
rich31

Re: Mental health/depression issues and discussion

Post by rich31 »

storrmin571 wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:08 pm
116 123
Samaritans

Hours: 24 hours, 7 days a week
Languages: English

https://www.mind.org.uk/news-campaigns/ ... bluelight/

https://www.time-to-change.org.uk/menta ... nd-support

https://www.mentalhealth.org.uk/your-me ... tting-help

I've copied and pasted a few links. If we cant help and you need professional assistance
Thanks storrmin571 , great idea and it may just nudge someone in their direction that may not have done otherwise.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Allgunsblazin wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:57 am
I find it so sad to read of so many suicides, one young 18 year old girl left a club on her own gave the security man a big hug on her return to the halls of residence, and upon the return of her mates, they found she had hung herself, there were no signs, no note, fucking tragic!
Literally this happened to one of my fiancee's friends at university. I'd only met her twice but she left an impression as one of the bubbliest and most genuine people I've met. Went out for a night out with her friends, slinked off early and they found her the following evening. Absolutely tragic.

Fiancee's father also took his own life. Was the worst time in my life so I still can't get near really understanding what it must have been like for her.

rich31

Post by rich31 »

northbank123 wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:21 pm
Allgunsblazin wrote:
I find it so sad to read of so many suicides, one young 18 year old girl left a club on her own gave the security man a big hug on her return to the halls of residence, and upon the return of her mates, they found she had hung herself, there were no signs, no note, fucking tragic!
Literally this happened to one of my fiancee's friends at university. I'd only met her twice but she left an impression as one of the bubbliest and most genuine people I've met. Went out for a night out with her friends, slinked off early and they found her the following evening. Absolutely tragic.

Fiancee's father also took his own life. Was the worst time in my life so I still can't get near really understanding what it must have been like for her.
Hmm . :hmmthink: thanks northbank123, i am already surprised at how many of us have a tale of some sorts to relate.I cant imagine what would make a young girl take her own life or the solitude and pain they must have been feeling.I am sorry to hear about your fiancee's dad....in a situation like that you have to be their rock whilst you are also grieving which takes alot.
75 per cent of suicides are male and unbelievably it is the biggest cause of death of men between the ages of 20-49 in Britain....i find that shocking...more men in what is probably considered to be the prime years of their lives die from suicide that any other reason :(

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Bradywasking wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:47 am
Good idea having this thread.. everyone has a story of themselves or a loved one. My own story is work related , I worked for a well known company for 15 years, 13 years of that were trouble free and unremarkable. I am a subtle fighter and will not take work related issues lying down. However I'm not an agitator and wouldn't go looking for the fight unless I had to.
In 2011 I was unfairly dumped by this company on a trumped up issue. I held my hands up and admitted to a mistake that had been made a lot of times before and since I'm sure without the ultimate sanction. I had become a thorn in the side because I and two other colleagues stood up against what we saw to be the deliberate targeting of us and the continuous erosion of our right to work with dignity.
The whole process destroyed me and left me financially and mentally on the floor.My family and friends stood by me as they believed me and in me. After two years of legal battles in a few fronts I was vindicated and paid off..
I am now working full time after five years of unemployment and austerity . I like my new job and the lads and girls I work with..Pressure free work that I can mentally switch off from when not there in work.
My wife and children saved me from I do t know what because they never stopped believing in me. The people who deliberately targeted me I can never forgive, they couldn't accept I was within my rights to defend myself and my right to work with dignity. They used the smallest indiscretion to remove me and compounded that by deliberately misleading a statutory investigation by a Government body into how they obtained and used evidence against me.
There were dark moments and there still is anger but because of the strenght of support I received from family and real friends this was turned around..it can be done, don't dismiss what you are going through at any time and equally and more importantly don't dismiss what others maybe suffering just because it may not be visible to you..
Sorry to hear what you went through mate, so glad you came out the other side :)

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

rich31 wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:40 am
northbank123 wrote:
Allgunsblazin wrote:

Hmm . :hmmthink: thanks northbank123, i am already surprised at how many of us have a tale of some sorts to relate.I cant imagine what would make a young girl take her own life or the solitude and pain they must have been feeling.I am sorry to hear about your fiancee's dad....in a situation like that you have to be their rock whilst you are also grieving which takes alot.
75 per cent of suicides are male and unbelievably it is the biggest cause of death of men between the ages of 20-49 in Britain....i find that shocking...more men in what is probably considered to be the prime years of their lives die from suicide that any other reason :(
Social media and a hell of a lot of peer pressure takes its toll on the youngsters, they are constantly looking at a screen, whether it's a phone computer or tv, and one crass remark from a cyber warrior can kill, bullying of the highest order!
If you see vulnerability, support them...

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

StuartL wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:48 pm
Bradywasking wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:47 am
Good idea having this thread.. everyone has a story of themselves or a loved one. My own story is work related , I worked for a well known company for 15 years, 13 years of that were trouble free and unremarkable. I am a subtle fighter and will not take work related issues lying down. However I'm not an agitator and wouldn't go looking for the fight unless I had to.
In 2011 I was unfairly dumped by this company on a trumped up issue. I held my hands up and admitted to a mistake that had been made a lot of times before and since I'm sure without the ultimate sanction. I had become a thorn in the side because I and two other colleagues stood up against what we saw to be the deliberate targeting of us and the continuous erosion of our right to work with dignity.
The whole process destroyed me and left me financially and mentally on the floor.My family and friends stood by me as they believed me and in me. After two years of legal battles in a few fronts I was vindicated and paid off..
I am now working full time after five years of unemployment and austerity . I like my new job and the lads and girls I work with..Pressure free work that I can mentally switch off from when not there in work.
My wife and children saved me from I do t know what because they never stopped believing in me. The people who deliberately targeted me I can never forgive, they couldn't accept I was within my rights to defend myself and my right to work with dignity. They used the smallest indiscretion to remove me and compounded that by deliberately misleading a statutory investigation by a Government body into how they obtained and used evidence against me.
There were dark moments and there still is anger but because of the strenght of support I received from family and real friends this was turned around..it can be done, don't dismiss what you are going through at any time and equally and more importantly don't dismiss what others maybe suffering just because it may not be visible to you..
Sorry to hear what you went through mate, so glad you came out the other side :)
Thank you....

rich31

Post by rich31 »

Allgunsblazin wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:32 pm
rich31 wrote:
northbank123 wrote:
Allgunsblazin wrote:

Social media and a hell of a lot of peer pressure takes its toll on the youngsters, they are constantly looking at a screen, whether it's a phone computer or tv, and one crass remark from a cyber warrior can kill, bullying of the highest order!
Very true mate.There is no escape from peer pressure or bullying for anyone but especially kids these days.Home is no longer the safe haven it once was for most youngsters.People of any age need to be held responsible for their actions online in the courts as and when necessary and their parents too if need be.If one of my kids was bullying someone in person or online then i would sadly accept that i had not done my job as a parent as well as i wanted and tried to and would expect them and possibly me to face consequences.Maybe it is impossible to know what your youngsters are up to 24/7 but a closer eye kept on them is something some parents dont seem too bothered about.We need to try and change that culture somehow.

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

Team GB Snowboarder with a bright future, 18 year old Ellie Soutter passes away, father and family absolutely distraught, again after the BSS paid tribute to her they referred the media to the Samaritans, when will this madness and dark hole be lifted from their shoulders, RIP Ellie!....

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

rich31 wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:54 pm
Allgunsblazin wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:32 pm
rich31 wrote:
northbank123 wrote:
Allgunsblazin wrote:

Very true mate.There is no escape from peer pressure or bullying for anyone but especially kids these days.Home is no longer the safe haven it once was for most youngsters.People of any age need to be held responsible for their actions online in the courts as and when necessary and their parents too if need be.If one of my kids was bullying someone in person or online then i would sadly accept that i had not done my job as a parent as well as i wanted and tried to and would expect them and possibly me to face consequences.Maybe it is impossible to know what your youngsters are up to 24/7 but a closer eye kept on them is something some parents dont seem too bothered about.We need to try and change that culture somehow.
Exactly it is yours and everyone's duty to stay involved and watch em closely, don't believe this shit about interfering blah blah blah, your children your responsibility, non of this snowflake liberal cobblers, and if they have bullied someone, sort them out ASAP, catch it early....

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

This is a great thread and I hope it will help at least one or two people.

There is so much I'd like to say about this but I'd end out sounding like a preacher. I will say there is plenty of agncies out there that can help you either online, by way of a phone call or texting. Doctors will help. colleagues at work, there is always someone who will listen.

The Arsenal Way

Post by The Arsenal Way »

USA alone, almost FORTY FIVE THOUSAND SUICIDES last year, 2017.

Just try to imagine Asia suicides AND murders?

FFS

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

The Arsenal Way wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:25 pm

FFS
Crikey, Just over Highbury’s capacity in one game in the 70’s... :shock:

John F

Post by John F »

I did hear a man on the radio once describe depression as not being able to construct or think about a positive future for himself ,sometimes people need help to see that there can be one. I worked on a secure Mental health unit for two years in the late nineties as a health care Assistant and it was a job I have never forgotten. I met some amazing people often very intelligent from all walks of life who suffered from depression. It really can affect anyone at anytime .I also worked with some great dedicated mental health professionals who were able to turn lives around.I have huge respect for anyone who works in mental health they do a fantastic job.

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

The Arsenal Way wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:25 pm

FFS

One of the many facts that give the lie to the feminist 'patriachy' bollocks is that in the western world 80% of all suicides are male. It's a tragedy and a disgrace, yet we almost never hear about it.

rich31

Post by rich31 »

John F wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:37 pm
I did hear a man on the radio once describe depression as not being able to construct or think about a positive future for himself ,sometimes people need help to see that there can be one. I worked on a secure Mental health unit for two years in the late nineties as a health care Assistant and it was a job I have never forgotten. I met some amazing people often very intelligent from all walks of life who suffered from depression. It really can affect anyone at anytime .I also worked with some great dedicated mental health professionals who were able to turn lives around.I have huge respect for anyone who works in mental health they do a fantastic job.
Yes that is true John ..when someone is in the depths of depression then even seeing being alive as a positive is difficult for some ,let alone being able to look to the future with any optimism.As you say there are some fantastic people doing there best to help out there ...but more is still needed mate.