Mental health/depression issues and discussion

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
rich31

Re: Mental health/depression issues and discussion

Post by rich31 »

GranadaJoe wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:02 pm
The Arsenal Way wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:25 pm
USA alone, almost FORTY FIVE THOUSAND SUICIDES last year, 2017.

Just try to imagine Asia suicides AND murders?

FFS

One of the many facts that give the lie to the feminist 'patriachy' bollocks is that in the western world 80% of all suicides are male. It's a tragedy and a disgrace, yet we almost never hear about it.
Just the fact it is the biggest killer of men aged 20-49 in this country tells us all it is a massive problem.The reasons, and why they feel they cannot seek or get the help they need, has to be looked at.

goonertux

Post by goonertux »

I used to work with a younger bloke who had an appointment with the doctor every week. Took a while for me to find out it was for mental health issues, and at first I thought “What has he got to worry about? Early twenties, good job, girlfriend and his whole life ahead of him”. Later found out it was to do with low confidence and self esteem. It wasn’t until I lost my dad, cracked up, and left my job that I realised how hard depression can be to deal with. Dark days indeed. Everything back on track now. But just to say, if you know anyone going through it, do all you can to support them. Really serious issue.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

goonertux wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:38 pm
I used to work with a younger bloke who had an appointment with the doctor every week. Took a while for me to find out it was for mental health issues, and at first I thought “What has he got to worry about? Early twenties, good job, girlfriend and his whole life ahead of him”. Later found out it was to do with low confidence and self esteem. It wasn’t until I lost my dad, cracked up, and left my job that I realised how hard depression can be to deal with. Dark days indeed. Everything back on track now. But just to say, if you know anyone going through it, do all you can to support them. Really serious issue.
Glad to hear you got through it mate. Lost my dad a few years ago and it had a devastating effect on me. Even now the sense of loss remorse and anger still hits me like a wave sometimes.

Haven't really posted much on this thread because it brings up some bad memories for me. Had two close friends commit suicide. One in his early twenties. Both were bipolar and went off their meds. We didn't even know one of them was bipolar until after he killed himself. Their loss devastated our group of friends and our football team (one was a team mate as well as a good mate).

Suicide is still the great unmentionable in Oireland but everyone here probably either has a family member friend or knows someone that has commit suicide. One of my wife's close friends hung herself a couple years ago. Beautiful girl lovely kids great husband good job she seemed to have everything and then she just checked out. No warning signs no note nothing. Simply horrific.

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:23 am
goonertux wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:38 pm
Glad to hear you got through it mate. Lost my dad a few years ago and it had a devastating effect on me. Even now the sense of loss remorse and anger still hits me like a wave sometimes.

Haven't really posted much on this thread because it brings up some bad memories for me. Had two close friends commit suicide. One in his early twenties. Both were bipolar and went off their meds. We didn't even know one of them was bipolar until after he killed himself. Their loss devastated our group of friends and our football team (one was a team mate as well as a good mate).

Suicide is still the great unmentionable in Oireland but everyone here probably either has a family member friend or knows someone that has commit suicide. One of my wife's close friends hung herself a couple years ago. Beautiful girl lovely kids great husband good job she seemed to have everything and then she just checked out. No warning signs no note nothing. Simply horrific.
Sorry to hear that DB...
Ireland has and is changing a lot now, I thought I would never see the day that they would give the Pope an ear bashing on ethics etc, suicide will come into it soon I hope!
The more these taboos are are openly spoken about and put into the media hopefully we will find some way to reducing these number of suicides...

augie

Post by augie »

Like everyone else, I know people that have suffered with depression (some close family) and I know people that have committed suicide so I have witnessed the devastation that is left behind afterwards :cry:

Having said all that, I do question the mental strength of many of today's young people, and I do wonder if we as a society are crippling future generations sometimes cos of our fear of suicide. We have 2 kids and my ,missus is constantly worried about being too hard on them for fear it drives them to suicide - that cant be right either. I always swore that I wouldnt be one of these "older" people who preached to their kids about "how we didnt have anything in our day", but the reality is that we did grow up in tougher times, when we didnt have 5% of the things that kids have nowadays, and we knew back then that a few slaps would come our way if we stepped out of line :roll: The vast majority of us lived through it and came out the other side stronger as a result, but nowadays kids get no hardship and I suggest that they are mentally softer as a result. These days the first sign of adversity has kids scrambling for cover cos they have never had to deal with it before. We throw around words like depression and suicide and it sometimes gives people (young and old) a way out like it is normal thing to do

Please dont get me wrong cos I know that there are far, far too many genuine cases of depression and suicide in this world, and it is truly a tragedy for everyone involved. We all want to do everything we can to help people before it is too late, and we all agree that help needs to be readily accessible for people when needed. Adults nowadays do face more pressure (especially financial), and I pray that it will never land on my doorstep, but I do feel that constantly treating kids with the proverbial kid gloves, is hindering rather than helping going forward

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

augie wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:44 pm
Like everyone else, I know people that have suffered with depression (some close family) and I know people that have committed suicide so I have witnessed the devastation that is left behind afterwards :cry:

Having said all that, I do question the mental strength of many of today's young people, and I do wonder if we as a society are crippling future generations sometimes cos of our fear of suicide. We have 2 kids and my ,missus is constantly worried about being too hard on them for fear it drives them to suicide - that cant be right either. I always swore that I wouldnt be one of these "older" people who preached to their kids about "how we didnt have anything in our day", but the reality is that we did grow up in tougher times, when we didnt have 5% of the things that kids have nowadays, and we knew back then that a few slaps would come our way if we stepped out of line :roll: The vast majority of us lived through it and came out the other side stronger as a result, but nowadays kids get no hardship and I suggest that they are mentally softer as a result. These days the first sign of adversity has kids scrambling for cover cos they have never had to deal with it before. We throw around words like depression and suicide and it sometimes gives people (young and old) a way out like it is normal thing to do

Please dont get me wrong cos I know that there are far, far too many genuine cases of depression and suicide in this world, and it is truly a tragedy for everyone involved. We all want to do everything we can to help people before it is too late, and we all agree that help needs to be readily accessible for people when needed. Adults nowadays do face more pressure (especially financial), and I pray that it will never land on my doorstep, but I do feel that constantly treating kids with the proverbial kid gloves, is hindering rather than helping going forward
Interesting slant on this Augie and being an ex De La Salle pupil those Christian Brothers were as tough as nails although there was a glint of compassion and fairness and no I did not witness any funny business just in case you feckers take the proverbial piss.
The Mrs has it hard with those Nuns at St Ursulas Convent school south east London, they were fucking evil cows, hair pulling, punching, slapping, even sticking chewing gum on your blouse sleeve when caught with gum!
Now how would our younger generation cope with that abuse which was never divulged to your parents as they would have you on your knees with a zillion Hail Marys, and a slap to boot!.....

augie

Post by augie »

I went to a boarding school for 3 and a half years and without doubt it was the worst times in my life - I have always said that boarding school can either make a kid or break him, and it certainly didnt make me :( My family moved back here from england when I was 8 years old and I was bullied for a few years by SOME kids because I was born in england (different times and all that). I wonder now if kids have the mental toughness to deal with any of that - dont get me wrong cos bullying by other kids and/or people in power (teachers etc) should be unacceptable to everyone, but these days parents and pc lovers would be rushing to call in shrinks, the cops, the top lawyers and oprah winfrey and for me we are talking two very opposite ends of the spectrum. Kids need to be able to face some level of adversity and deal with it cos life isnt always fair, and society nowadays imo is weakening kids and setting them up for a life where they will be unable to deal with anything.